Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
My big question is, why would anyone want a home dump station unless they were living permanently in the MH at their residence. I'm sure not saying it is wrong, I just don't see the logic. Again, "it's me, not you".

For me its a matter of convenience. I have a provision for dumping the tanks into the clean out of the home septic so that I don't have to go to the local dump at the gas station in town. I sometimes arrive home from trips in the motorhome at odd times of the day or nite with tanks that need emptying. Makes it really convenient to do it the next day, or whenever I get around to it, with no special trips to the local dump. Also I don't feel rushed, as I sometimes do at a public dump station, when there are other rigs waiting to use the facility.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
My big question is, why would anyone want a home dump station unless they were living permanently in the MH at their residence. I'm sure not saying it is wrong, I just don't see the logic. Again, "it's me, not you".
That is an easy one to answer. We always dumped at the state parks just before leaving. I told my wife, don't use the toilet on the way home, because I have already dumped the tank. She looked me straight in the eye and said, you are out of your mind if you think i will stop at a gas station when i have a clean restroom of my own. I also have never had a problem with my readouts, because I wash out my tanks after every trip. I Also have electrical hookups and water at my pad. I can use my motorhome as a guest house if needed.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #31

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I would want one and plan to install 2 hookups at our new home. One for my unit to use as a gest house or to work on. The Luther is for any guest that brings there unit to visit thay will have a full hook up
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #32

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
I put in a 1" pipe to the cleanout and I use Sewage Solution to dump into my home septic system.

We are having a Sanicon installed next week on the coach so we can do they same.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #33

I've been dumping into my Septic system for 25 years with no problems. I add a treatment at the start of the new year to keep it active. When you have been gone camping it actually gives the system a break and allows it to leach down. Emptying your RV black tank is no different than if you stayed home and used the toilet, its the same sh*t !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #34

Nor'easters Club
Yes, and "orangeburg" pipe was the commercial version of rolled tar paper, used for many years before green plastic pipe was available. Don't know if its still made today.

Marty
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Aisin 4:10 Air ride
2015 40RE Augusta Luxe
martins192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
At home I have two locations for dumping tanks and both go to the septic tank. On the occasions I need to use a chemical in the RV holding tanks I look for a label advertising septic safe (no formaldehyde).
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
I've been dumping into my Septic system for 25 years with no problems. I add a treatment at the start of the new year to keep it active. When you have been gone camping it actually gives the system a break and allows it to leach down. Emptying your RV black tank is no different than if you stayed home and used the toilet, its the same sh*t !

May be the same sh*t, but it's a different day!!
BirdDoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Oh yeah, after reading this thread, I kept getting flash backs of CHRISTMAS VACATION. Cousin Eddie, outside in his robe, emptying the back tank into a storm sewer at the curb, yelling out "Merry Christmas the sh***er was full"!

[IMG]http://www.thewoodenplayground.com/*******-was-full.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
Mike, I was referring to the common residential anaerobic septic system where there is a lack of oxygen.
Septic systems are vented..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Its incredibly convenient and maintenance free. Been using mine every blue moon for 12 yrs. Plastic 55 gal drum surrounded by rock ; no fuss no muss!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
Its incredibly convenient and maintenance free. Been using mine every blue moon for 12 yrs. Plastic 55 gal drum surrounded by rock ; no fuss no muss!
I'm curious to this.
I have 2 plastic 55 gallon drums that are not being used and a backhoe.
Dig a hole; place two 55 gallon drums in the ground and connect them both with PVC and run a t-adapter off it to a connector above the ground?
Drill holes throughout the barrels and surround by 1" river rock?

Is that all? And how long would it take for them to empty and be assured they will not overflow?

Interesting.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:48 AM   #41

Hey ga traveler, I'm no expert but I can foresee jail time for a septic system like this in some states
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I'm curious to this.
I have 2 plastic 55 gallon drums that are not being used and a backhoe.
Dig a hole; place two 55 gallon drums in the ground and connect them both with PVC and run a t-adapter off it to a connector above the ground?
Drill holes throughout the barrels and surround by 1" river rock?

Is that all? And how long would it take for them to empty and be assured they will not overflow?

Interesting.
It depends on how often you use it. It is the same principal as a store bought septic only smaller. I dump in it after trips sometimes and the grey of course goes on the ground after hose flush. Drill holes only about 1/2 way down. Of course you cant dump 50 gal every other day ; common sense must rule. I really think with the questions you asked you shouldnt do it , or at least find a bubba to advise.