Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #43

It is more along the lines of what was called a cesspool not a septic system. I believe the EPA prohibits large capacity cesspools and a lot of states ban all.... as a FYI. So anyone looking into adding one, beware...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #44

You can Bootleg in just about anything IF you don't get caught. That said I would not do it downtown.But it is sure handy. I have put in a lot of dumps over the years. Some with permits, some w/o.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
It is more along the lines of what was called a cesspool not a septic system. I believe the EPA prohibits large capacity cesspools and a lot of states ban all.... as a FYI. So anyone looking into adding one, beware...
Well actually it works exactly like a septic tank if its not over used. Clear water goes out the holes and solids stay in tank.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins192 View Post
Yes, and "orangeburg" pipe was the commercial version of rolled tar paper, used for many years before green plastic pipe was available. Don't know if its still made today.

Marty
It caused a lot of backups as the tar paper would become unbonded and spiral up to the center of the pipe like an unwound clock spring. I have replaced too many of those over the years. Had one guy ask for help as he had it under his mobile home in a pitched above ground run 20 feet long. It broke as it was unsupported except for the ends and about a 5 foot section fell out of the middle. Looks like it had failed sometime during the winter and took more than a few days for them to notice the smell.

It wasn't pretty and my only thought was feet don't fail me now. Run Forest RUN....
Old 09-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
A cesspool is a large swimming pool for rednecks. No really, a cesspool is above ground and is exposed to the air. This is nothing but a normal septic system. It has a tank for decomposition and gravel to hold the liquids. I don't get where you come up with the cesspool comparison.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler
A cesspool is a large swimming pool for rednecks. No really, a cesspool is above ground and is exposed to the air. This is nothing but a normal septic system. It has a tank for decomposition and gravel to hold the liquids. I don't get where you come up with the cesspool comparison.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cesspool

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cesspool

http://water.epa.gov/type/groundwate..._cesspools.cfm

Take your pick.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Cesspools can be, and usually are, underground, and are exactly as the above described system: a container (such as a barrel) with holes, placed in the ground surrounded by gravel, such that the liquid waste is allowed to 'percolate' into the surrounding soil. The typical ones being discussed here are rudimentary 'septic system like' ones, but are not actual septic systems in the modern sense. Also not to be confused with 'cesspits' which are more like the modern 'holding tank'.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #50

Gulf Streamers Club
A septic tank has no openings in the bottom or sides to the soil. It is designed to hold waste to allow bacteria to break down the waste, water is then allowed to flow off the top into a porous tile field to distribute treated water into the subsoil

A cesspool allows waste to immediately drain into the soil and often empties deeper into the ground below the bacterial effects of the subsoil. Much more likely to contaminate ground water than a septic tank system and leach field.

Putting in a separate 'cesspool' of a couple of barrels is really not needed if you have a proper septic system. As said before, if you are away in RV the septic system 'rests' and adding 40-60 gallons of black tank all at once should not put a strain on the system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Septic systems are vented..
Maybe terms differ around the country so that we have trouble communicating, but anaerobic septic systems are absolutely not vented. That's what makes them anaerobic! There are aerobic septic systems in some cases (different sewage treatment altogether that introduces oxygen to the tank), but that is not the common home system and that isn't what I was referring to.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
That is why I like this forum. You learn something every day.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
I've been dumping into my Septic system for 25 years with no problems. I add a treatment at the start of the new year to keep it active. When you have been gone camping it actually gives the system a break and allows it to leach down. Emptying your RV black tank is no different than if you stayed home and used the toilet, its the same sh*t !
We had a 700 gallon septic tank installed just for the RV this spring. Not sure if that is to small or to large but it is what the contractor sold us. We have been dumping our black and gray tanks for six months I have added treatment every other month as the contractor suggested.

We are leaving for an extended trip this week and I was wondering if I had to do anything to the septic tank while we are gone. Should I have water added to keep it from drying out? Do I need to add treatment every couple of months? What have you done to keep yours working for 25 years?
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO_Retired

We had a 700 gallon septic tank installed just for the RV this spring. Not sure if that is to small or to large but it is what the contractor sold us. We have been dumping our black and gray tanks for six months I have added treatment every other month as the contractor suggested.

We are leaving for an extended trip this week and I was wondering if I had to do anything to the septic tank while we are gone. Should I have water added to keep it from drying out? Do I need to add treatment every couple of months? What have you done to keep yours working for 25 years?
I am guessing you mean with a drain field.
Here (PA) 1000 is for a 2 bedroom house 1500 for 3, if the system is operating normally it will not hurt it. If there is 2 of you it should be pumped every 5 years minimum.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #55

Gulf Streamers Club
A septic tank is just that, a tank with a sealed bottom. The liquids go out a drain pipe on the side, up near the top. Untreated sewage goes in the tank, bacteria go to work breaking it down. Sediment falls to the bottom of the tank, water drains off into the drainage tiles distributing it in the subsoil to further be neutralized. Other than having it pumped when the tank is full of sediment, no other maintenance needed. You want to pump it out before sediment overflows into the drain field, that could clog it and require replacement of the drainage tiles. As BCooke said, pumping about every 5 years is a good rule of thumb. If you find it is no where full in 5 years, you will know next time to extend the pump interval.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
Maybe terms differ around the country so that we have trouble communicating, but anaerobic septic systems are absolutely not vented. That's what makes them anaerobic! There are aerobic septic systems in some cases (different sewage treatment altogether that introduces oxygen to the tank), but that is not the common home system and that isn't what I was referring to.
The common septic system is vented via the sewage stack that goes through the roof.. But, I know what you mean..