Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2005, 04:17 AM   #1

I am tired of trying to find a dump station thats open in the winter. Does anyone have plans for a home dump station? I cannot connect to our home septic system because its too far away. We really like winter camping, but this is a big problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2005, 05:06 AM   #2

You basically have to connect to a septic system (or install a new one). You can connect to an existing 3" or 4" main anywhere upstream from the septic tank. The line from the house to the tank is usually 4". Installing a clean-out anywhere alone this line will give you a dump location. You can also install a new line that goes to the septic tank (must run downhill at approx. 1/4" per foot) from wherever you want the dump station to be.
You could also get a 32 gallon tote tank and wheel this over to an existing cleanout that is ground level.

Old 02-01-2005, 06:33 AM   #3

When we owned a stick house I used the 4" clean out beside the house.
Joe
An Indian and a Gypsy
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:09 AM   #4

Here's how I solved that problem. I use a Sewer Solution pump to pump the tanks to my septic tank that is about 70 feet away. The SS pump uses a 1" line. Has been working great for about seven years now. And to everyone that is wondering, the 1" line has the proper slope and is buried from the septic tank to where I park the RV. The connection is just below ground level inside a plastic box that was designed for a lawn sprinkler valve.

Jim
Old 02-01-2005, 10:59 AM   #5

I extended the cleanout to do mine.

http://www.klenger.net/misc/dcp01708-clean-out.jpg
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cold Iron:
Here's how I solved that problem. I use a Sewer Solution pump to pump the tanks to my septic tank that is about 70 feet away. The SS pump uses a 1" line. Has been working great for about seven years now. And to everyone that is wondering, the 1" line has the proper slope and is buried from the septic tank to where I park the RV. The connection is just below ground level inside a plastic box that was designed for a lawn sprinkler valve.

Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also use the Sewer Solution pump to pump the tanks, I've never used it to pump uphill but thought it was designed to do so, at least to a certain degree. Is this correct?

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:45 PM   #7

How can it be too far away? It has to come out of your house {sewer line somewhere, just connect to outlet.

I put two, one on either side of driveway, can dump coming or going. Your sewer outlet has to have a certain grade to drain, I beleive it is 1/4" per foot?

Mike T.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:00 PM   #8

I cant connect to the house septic because it is on the other side of the house (70 feet from where the RV is and no basement to dig under or thru.
I'm looking to build a small septic tank to hold only 50 gallons or so with just a connector for my hose. any other ideas?
Old 02-01-2005, 04:44 PM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Here is a really easy solution.

Go with a macerator pump system. Unlike the Sewer Solution which requires water to run it (not good for winter pump out) it uses 12 volt power, will pump up to 300' away and up hill.

Check over the different models available, but which ever system you go with I would recommend the 1 1/4" hose for long distances. (the 1" makes the pump work a little to hard for a real long distance) When you put the hoses together be sure to buy hose clamps and clamp the sections so they have no chance to leak or come apart.

RV Sani-Con Systems

I use the system for my general pump out and before I ran pipe under ground ran it to my septic which was about 100' away.

Bill
Old 02-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #10

I agree with Bill, get a macerator pump. It is going to cost you a lot less than running a new sewer line and you can use it at campgrounds instead of the old, messy, 3" hose

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 10:28 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We had sewer problems last year, tree roots into the line. I had to dig it up so I installed a "clean out" in the line at the same time. Clean outs are leagal in our area an RV dump is not.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 05:26 PM   #12

I have a possible solution for your problem. If you have the room to bury a couple of 50 gallon drums. In the first drum cut out two holes (3 or 4 Inches) near the top and on the second drum one hole same place. Cut the top out of the second drum and drill or cut some holes in the bottom of the second drum. put a piece of pvc pipe between the two drums and fill the second with rock up to the bottom of the hole. put another piece of pvc in the remaining hole of the first drum as your inlet and drain your black and gray water tanks into it. It would be best if you can put a baffel on the outlet side of the first drum to prevent solids from getting into the second drum. the water will drain down in the second one and the solids will decompse as in a sepetic tank. Basicly it is a small septic system and it works and is cheap. good luck tinker
Old 02-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #13

If you have any questions contact me a tinkercb_63@hotmail.com tinker
Old 02-06-2005, 06:28 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mtworks:
I cant connect to the house septic because it is on the other side of the house (70 feet from where the RV is and no basement to dig under or thru.
I'm looking to build a small septic tank to hold only 50 gallons or so with just a connector for my hose. any other ideas? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would not use a 55 gallon drum! They Will rust
out. I've installed a concrete grease tank,I think
it was 4x4x4 ,It's been in service for 7 years,
with no problems,The cost was under 300.00.then.
My 2 cents..