Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
The encampments in Seattle that are officially sanctioned by the city are located in commercial and heavy industrial areas. No children walking past them to go to school, probably no effect on property values. No one's making more land in Seattle, so what is there has high values, period. Scheduled trash pickup will be available at the camps.

https://www.thestranger.com/blogs/sl...n-rvs-and-cars

Seattle has issued an official State of Emergency regarding homelessness. Homes are not affordable even to two income families making double the minimum wage in the City of Seattle. I can't speak for the finer points of what it takes to live, work, or to live on the streets of Seattle, but it seems a very humanitarian thing to do in giving folks that may be one small step away from not having any roof over their head someplace to park without fear of getting in legal trouble over where they parked.

Totally agree!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #30

When I was homeless I slept in front of a ticketmaster....no one was the wiser.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:41 PM   #31

Quote:

Seattle has issued an official State of Emergency regarding homelessness. Homes are not affordable even to two income families making double the minimum wage in the City of Seattle. I can't speak for the finer points of what it takes to live, work, or to live on the streets of Seattle, but it seems a very humanitarian thing to do in giving folks that may be one small step away from not having any roof over their head someplace to park without fear of getting in legal trouble over where they parked.
There could be a big upside for RVers here. RV parks are expensive. A RVer could use the free Seattle sites and not have to pay RV parks. If this spreads throughout the country it could cut down greatly on RV traveling costs.

I know there is a large community of RVers who constantly boondock and looking for free places to stay. Seattle is providing free site, electric, security, water and dumping.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
... there are many definitions of homelessness, depending on who is doing the defining ...
The picture that comes to mind for many is an unwashed drug addict begging for spare change. Some areas of the country, like the San Francisco area where I live, have become extremely expensive and lower income, employed people are being priced out of the housing market. Some of these people now have RVs as their home. I'm one of them.

Up until recently I was a renter and my rent and basic living expenses took up 100% of my income. It was at times a struggle without any money for anything except utilities and rent. I never went shopping or saw a movie. I wore clothes that were given to me. I struggled to eat decently. No food stamps or public aid because I made too much money, just not enough to live here or get ahead.

Then I ended up in the hospital and got saddled with $12,000 in medical bills not covered by insurance and shortly after that my landlord announced a rent increase. My income was no longer anywhere near what it needed to be. I bought an old RV and spend four months remodeling it and preparing it to be my home.

So I could rent a space in an RV park and spend $1000 a month for that, or I could pack up and leave my family, friends, employment, and comfort and attempt to resettle in some other place, or I could become an RV nomad. I chose the latter.

I am always parked legally and have never been approached by the police. I'm lucky to have found a place on private property to spend the night, so I'm on a public street less than nine hours a day. Every day I move. Never park in front of a house. Never in the same spot two days in a row. I leave no evidence behind that I was ever there when I leave. In fact, you probably wouldn't know I was there when I am parked.

At the moment there is another RV of the same vintage as mine (mid-1980s) parked across the street. It's been ticketed twice that I know of and never moves. It belongs to the person living in the house it's parked at. Just up the street, pulled onto private property, is another mid-80s RV, no one living in it. It just sits there. And around the corner from that is a camper that I think someone is living in, but I never see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
You can't live in a house or apartment without paying taxes or rent. Why should an RVer be different?
So I live in an RV by choice. To some I'm "homeless" because I don't have another address as well. I pay income tax, sales tax, fuel taxes. I don't pay property tax, but I also don't get the income tax credit that renters in this state get.

My major issues are parking and paying off my medical bills, as opposed to trying to decide which washer/dryer combo to get or how to route the satellite signal to my three tv sets, which seems to be the dividing line between "full timers" and "homeless" to some people. I know my RV isn't all shiney and pretty but then it cost a few thousand rather than a few hundred thousand.

I may be "homeless" to some, but I'm quiet, respectful of others, and pay my own way. My apologies to those that find my living this way offensive, I'm open to your suggestions of alternatives.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
If you have a domain address then you are not homeless.

Without a domain how would you can't get a drivers license, plates, insurance, income tax refund, etc. ? I know how I did it during my period of sleeping in my car moment in life.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
I may be "homeless" to some, but I'm quiet, respectful of others, and pay my own way. My apologies to those that find my living this way offensive, I'm open to your suggestions of alternatives.
Thanks for sharing. You made this discussion much more real.

Discussions like this tend to go south because of ignorance or just plain meanness.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you Alvo for showing us your side of the story. I am sure it is not easy for you, and I wish there were a better alternative. I like what Seattle has done. Perhaps more places will follow suit.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
Up until recently I was a renter and my rent and basic living expenses took up 100% of my income. It was at times a struggle without any money for anything except utilities and rent. I never went shopping or saw a movie. I wore clothes that were given to me. I struggled to eat decently. No food stamps or public aid because I made too much money, just not enough to live here or get ahead.
A couple who worked at Google lived in a van in the Google parking lot until they could save enough to buy a home.

I have a relative that lives in NYC. They pay $48,000/year in rent for 900sq feet.

I don't think this will change. It will only get worse. The USA population is growing and those new people will need a place to live.

I can see armies of homeless - living on the streets. And, people living in their cars/RVs
Old 04-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the past 9 years our economy and residents have taken a hard hit. Many were blessed enough to have a big enough income to sail through it without much effect.

For others, the increase in cost of almost everything, no increase in income, gas prices, huge medical bills, loss of a job, foreclosure of a home, and the loss of your spouse or partner reducing your income by half has changed a great many circumstances.

I was lucky, I did not loose my job but my husband did. It cut our income in half. We weathered that storm, everything was paid for, but we had to change the way we did things and what we spent money on. Several members of my family and friends lost most everything.

The numbers of people living in RVs fulltime, either out of choice or out of necessity has multiplied. There is no easy answer. I would have no problem for our city to take some of the wasted property and put in a dump station, water, and electricity for people who are struggling to have a place to park and live.

A lot of cities waste so much money on prettying it up that this could be considered part of that effort. People who are struggling need help. Sometimes just a little makes a huge difference.

I don't know how a lot of the kids are going to make it in this society with the cost of things. I work hard but so do a lot of them. Sometimes it just is not enough with prices as they are. When you have a degree, work a job, and still struggle, what do you do next?

In 18 months I retire. I hope to go full timing. I look forward to being HOUSELESS .Alvo, looks to me like you made a good decision to live in your RV. I hope things improve for you and your city chooses to make an area for people to live in their RVs.

Good luck Lynne
Old 04-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
There could be a big upside for RVers here. RV parks are expensive. A RVer could use the free Seattle sites and not have to pay RV parks. If this spreads throughout the country it could cut down greatly on RV traveling costs.

I know there is a large community of RVers who constantly boondock and looking for free places to stay. Seattle is providing free site, electric, security, water and dumping.
This system is not meant for RVers who want to do their thing cheap or free.

It's meant for the homeless. They need it a lot more.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #39

I believe they're dropping the RV parking areas in Seattle, someone did the math and realized they could get more bang for the buck using other resources to house the homeless.
I'm a HVAC service tech in Seattle so I travel the streets a lot. Trust me there's a big difference between full timers, and "homeless rv's". Seattle is cracking down by limiting the number of 24 hour parking zones. I kept meaning to get some pictures of some of the popular areas to add a little perspective but I never seem to get around to it, and now some of them have been shut down.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Seattle is providing free site, electric, security, water and dumping.
(Loud klaxon horn sound here)
No. They are providing a place to park, garbage service, and porta-potties. Maybe security. Where did you get the idea all those other services were being offered?
Old 04-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Homeless has such a negative ring to it, I much prefer to call myself living in an alternative life style.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #42

Quote:
(Loud klaxon horn sound here)
No. They are providing a place to park, garbage service, and porta-potties. Maybe security. Where did you get the idea all those other services were being offered?
(Louder klaxon horn sound here)

First 'safe lot' for homeless living in vehicles opens | KING5.com

"The city provides 24/7 security, access to limited electricity, bathrooms, hand-washing stations and even a coffeemaker."

Closed Thread