Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #57

As has been stated, the parking lot homesteaders is the reason you see NO OVERNIGHT PARKING signs in an increasing number of Walmart lots, despite their corporate policy. In reality, many of those signed lots do allow overnight parking IF YOU GO INSIDE AND ASK PERMISSION. We've done this many times and have rarely been refused except where they had to abide with city ordinances. In fact, some WM's will ask pointedly when you are leaving, and some will ask for make, model and color, or a phone number to contact you on if you are causing disturbances to others. We've been told by the stores that the signs are there so they have a legal standing if they have to call law enforcement to evict troublemakers or homesteaders, rather than have an RV'er just spending a night and leaving in the AM.

Ask. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Ok. So you're still mostly wrong about the first claim you made.
What was the 'mostly wrong'?

Old 04-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post

And then as dexters comments that would be a great place for people to stay while traveling and "cut down their traveling costs". That would really be taking advantage of a City that was attempting to help their homeless population, and a complete waste of resources available. And trust me there are many people that wouldn't hesitate to do that just for the convenience. They should be ashamed of themselves to even consider driving one of their nice fancy MH's into a place like these just for convenience.
I was just stating what I have observed. There are people with money and don't need the help who will take advantage of the situation.

With some charities e.g. food banks; there is no requirement to prove you need the help. And, some charities don't ask for any proof because they don't want to create a threshold that might prevent people from asking for help.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
I was just stating what I have observed. There are people with money and don't need the help who will take advantage of the situation.

With some charities e.g. food banks; there is no requirement to prove you need the help. And, some charities don't ask for any proof because they don't want to create a threshold that might prevent people from asking for help.
No you were making it sound like if every City did it, It would be a GOOD thing for RV'rs as they could also become a place where overnighters could stop and save some money while traveling. Read your own post, you actually seemed to think it would be a good thing. That would be a reason alone for most Cities to shut it down, as they want to use their resources for the intended recipients, not people who can afford other options. Trust me I have worked with charities who have been duped by people taking advantage and didn't really need the services/food ect. But they take that chance and trust those who ask because they don't want anybody who really needs it to be left without. Shame on those who take advantage, it will come back to them someday.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #61

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
What was the 'mostly wrong'?
No full hookups. Everything else very, very limited. The campers are not getting a free lunch. You read the same articles I did, and they must participate in a program closely monitored by a case manager.

It ain't a free RV resort for all the homeless in a very expensive town to live in. No matter how some will want to spin it, this isn't a free lunch for any involved.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
No you were making it sound like if every City did it, It would be a GOOD thing for RV'rs as they could also become a place where overnighters could stop and save some money while traveling.
Gee, thanks for telling me what was in my own mind. You 'sound' as if you know it all.
Have a nice day!
Old 04-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #63

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What we all wrote is still up to see. If you meant something other what what you said, you could clear it up.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #64
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Please discuss the topic and refrain from sniping at each other. Thanks.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #65
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's about time to get back to the topic not who said what, thank you all for expressing your opinions.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 04-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #66

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mea culpa. I apologize to everyone for my part. Issue touches very close to home. I'll keep the tone mellow from here on out.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #67

Vintage RV Owners Club
It's been my observation that the poorer you are the more people want to take even what little you have away from you and send you to go die under a rock someplace. (Anywhere where they don't have to know you ever existed) and if you dare do anything to try and lift yourself out of the bad situation you are in they vilify you and try to knock you off the ladder you are desperately trying to climb.

If the economy keeps on as it's been doing I think you will see a lot more people either homeless or in extreme poverty and they won't be people that are drug addicts or career criminals or the insane they will be people that were once upper middle class and worked hard for everything they had but had the rug pulled out from under them. But none of what they were matters because nobody really cares about what you were only about how you look.

Homelessness is basically a crime and also seen as a moral failing on the part of the person swept up into it. Until that changes nothing will be done about it other than doing everything possible to hide them from society.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #68

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A fairly good chunk of homelessness is driven by mental illness. If someone that is truly ill can be made more secure by living in an RV in a city approved and monitored RV camp, and get the access to the services that person needs, and then pull themselves out of homelessness and treat their illness, that seems like a huge win-win for all.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wschaub View Post
It's been my observation that the poorer you are the more people want to take even what little you have away from you and send you to go die under a rock someplace. (Anywhere where they don't have to know you ever existed) and if you dare do anything to try and lift yourself out of the bad situation you are in they vilify you and try to knock you off the ladder you are desperately trying to climb.

If the economy keeps on as it's been doing I think you will see a lot more people either homeless or in extreme poverty and they won't be people that are drug addicts or career criminals or the insane they will be people that were once upper middle class and worked hard for everything they had but had the rug pulled out from under them. But none of what they were matters because nobody really cares about what you were only about how you look.

Homelessness is basically a crime and also seen as a moral failing on the part of the person swept up into it. Until that changes nothing will be done about it other than doing everything possible to hide them from society.
That is true - the poor lack power. They don't have the money to influence change.

And it will only get worse, population growth, offshoring of jobs, high education costs, automation, artificial intelligence all will increase the ranks of the poor.
Look for videos on Youtube and you will see many people telling about their experiences living out of van, motor homes and travel trailers.

As the baby boomers retire and they find out they don't have enough money, they will move into their RVs
Old 04-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #70

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If they can wait to move into their RVs when they retire.

Closed Thread