Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2016, 10:54 PM   #1

Homeless living in/parking RV on street

More homeless people parking RVs in neighborhoods | KGW.com

Do those living on the west coast see this?

I've seen videos on Youtube about people who gave up their apartment, got an RV and moved into a RV park. They still kept their job.

Search Youtube for 'living in van' and a lot of people doing it will come up.

I can see all of this increasing RV park rates and making spaces harder to come by.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's not new. Folks move out of RV parks, too.

The rents in Portland OR are out of control. How anyone didn't expect the numbers of all homeless people to go up with the insane rents just baffles me.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:03 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, I work a swing shift as security for a retirement center. There's always a couple rigs parked behind/close to a Safeway store I pass by on the way home. Plus I see others during the day at various locations. They move every day or so too.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:16 PM   #4

Not at all uncommon out here. People living in vans, old RVs, and sometimes truck campers. Off the top of my head I can think of about half a dozen "involuntary RVers" that I see regularly out here. For those that do it out of necessity than choice it is indeed unfortunate (or fortunate that they have an RV to fall back on depending on how you look at it). One thing I've seen a lot of however are young, single people choosing to live in small RVs or converted vans. I guess it's the only way to afford a place of your own in the more expensive cities and towns out here.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:57 PM   #5

Perhaps one of the reasons many Walmarts are not allowing over-nighters and some city's banning RV's parking on city streets over-night - abuse of privileges.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:02 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Perhaps one of the reasons many Walmarts are not allowing over-nighters and some city's banning RV's parking on city streets over-night - abuse of privileges.
Usually it's NOT Wal*Marts choice to limit parking, it's the city or county that does that. Wal*Marts corporate policy is to allow one night resting stops. You can find that policy on the Wal*Mart site.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:13 AM   #7

Quote:
You are probably right, but I wouldn't call it abuse of a privilege. These folks park where they need to as far as city streets that they've paid taxes on.

It's society that looks down on them, giving them a bad rap. There's plenty of places that could accommodate over nighters or drifters if you will for free, keeping them off the streets.

As long as they don't litter the place up like sometimes happens in a truck stop parking lot. But that's another subject.

DTW
Old 04-19-2016, 12:15 AM   #8

Quote:
There is a Wal-Mart near Keyser, WV where we used to overnight if we got there late, before visiting relatives and friends who live in the area the next day. One morning after overnighting there there I needed to dump the holding tanks. Seeing several RVs over near the edge of the lot I walked over and asked if anyone knew where I could dump. They pointed to a ditch right off the paved area of the lot. I later found another place to dump, but a few years later the same Wal-Mart had "No Overnight Parking" signs all around the lot. I'm thinking they had a good reason.

Steve
Old 04-19-2016, 07:20 AM   #9

It beats sleeping outside. When wages are low, you do what you can.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Why and when is someone who owns a motorhome classified as homeless?

Would that mean all full timers are actually homeless?

Is their an income qualifier that separates full timing from homeless?

Or is it the classic "I can't define it but I know it when I see it" kind of thing?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Old 04-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #11

We have a family member that considers us homeless. I would worry more about where tanks are being emptied more than I would worry about parking in the neighborhood.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting point. Where is the dividing line between homeless and a full-timer. Is it that a homeless family may still have to work and needs a place close to the job? Full-timers are free to move about the country. curious...
Old 04-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
Interesting point. Where is the dividing line between homeless and a full-timer. Is it that a homeless family may still have to work and needs a place close to the job? Full-timers are free to move about the country. curious...

I think that having to work isn't a good dividing line to classify them as homeless, as that would mean all work campers are actually homeless people. Also why would someone who has a job, and a home to live in, ever be considered as homeless, just because the home is powered?

I'm not trying to disagree with anyone else's perspective, I'm just trying to point out its very easy to categorize other people, but isn't so easy to logically justify those classifications.

As for parking on the streets, personally I'm not opposed to those restrictions. It would be nice if we could write laws that allowed reasonable behavior and only limited those who abuse privileges, but reality doesn't allow it. I don't want people abusing that privilege using my neighborhood to effectively squat in.

I have found that if I'm behaving responsibly that such restrictions usually aren't an issue. The local law enforcement officers may talk to me and tell me it's not allowed, and I may need to move along, but I've never been cited for anything since I outgrew my righteous indignation and stopped arguing with the officer. Many times I didn't have to even move just as long as I agreed not to do it again (in that town at least).

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Old 04-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #14

We had a few that parked along the tracks outside of town for awhile.

These were not just older nice rigs but wrecking yard stock so to speak.

Yes something should be done but all out ban not so much.

Maybe designate places where safe to park and dump stations available so folks can safely park.

Problem is many are not down in luck good folks but bad folks who do abuse the system and ruin it for the folks that need it.

Closed Thread