Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 05:21 PM   #1

Hook-up configuration

I'm sure everyone has been frustrated by hook-up configurations offered by Campgrounds. What would be an ideal setup? What should be a minimum distance between hook-up points? Should points be centered on the site, forward, or aft of center? What is the maximum the sewer connection should be above ground?
floog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 05:46 PM   #2

I'm still part timing, but I prefer the hookups to be towards the rear of my TT as that's where my hookups are.
I think that the fresh water should be at least 12" off the ground and that the sewer connections should be as flush to the ground as possible.
We stayed at 2 KOAs this summer on our way to and from the big family reunion in Maine that the sewer connections were 8-10" above the ground! My rig doesn't sit that high, so I was having to work the waste out when we were packing up in the morning.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some areas require the sewer inlets to be above ground so rain and other water doesn't flow in but it does present a problem for low rigs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:10 PM   #4

My ideal would be power and cable near the back. All water and sewer amidships. This trailer and last one had power and cable in back. The only thing that changed for me was the water going from all they way at the back curb side compartment to just forward of the axles. Most campsites that have it all together work out pretty well. I do believe everyone would love lower sewer connections, but as stated above, code sometimes prevents that.
Encmerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:44 PM   #5

Ideal for us is exactly how Fort Wilderness does it. Sewer in a recessed stainless basin, two spigots, and an emergency hose coiled at the ready.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:26 PM   #6

OP: Are you building a RV park?

It's lots easier, financially, for the park to install them all in the same area. RVs have utilities in different spots so it would be hard to please everyone.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:20 AM   #7

Because some RVs have their hookup in the back, some in the middle and some in the front, the campground should put their hookup in the middle. That way it is the same for rear, and front RVs and just right for middle ones. Most places I go to have the hookups in the rear and I often have to use an extension for the sewer and water and sometimes a 50 amp extension as well.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Water and sanitary connections on my MH are just in front of the rear wheels. My electrical compartment is one more forward of that one. So for me any where in the site that doesn't require extensions of any sort. I like the campgrounds that have two sewer drops. Makes for easier positioning considering my electrical and water lines are 50 feet.

It really comes down to your rigs configuration.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
For most of the RVs, if the hook ups are about 1/3 of the distance from the rear, it will work fine. Most motorhomes ahve the hook ups in front of the rear wheels and most trailers have the hooks up either in front of or to the rear of the wheels.

Lately, been seeing lots of 5th wheels with the power connections on the back corner. The best place is to put the connections about at the 1/2 way length of the site and this will accommodate most of the RVs. But we carry an extra 25 foot of water hose, water hose and power cord....just in case.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The park doesn't always have full choice. There are often sanitary regulations requiring separation of sewer lines from fresh water, set-backs from the roads, etc. Plus with Rvs plumbing, electric and cable configured every which way, there can be no right answer for everybody. I've even seen a few trailers with the water & sewer connections on the curb side!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A CC layout, design and utility infrastructure is based on too many variables to list here. Location, terrains, climates, Codes ,Rules, Regulations are some of the decisive factors for investment.
jaearhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #12

If the sites are pull through and very long, you need to know where the flat level portion where the rig will park is. If you put all connections at the rear, that could be 50+ feet from where you actually need them. I would agree center is ok and should be workable to all but the weirdest configurations, and keep the sewer connection as low as possible.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote