Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #15

I joined this forum months ago and just now had something worthy to share. Maybe sharing my experience was a bad idea.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 08:57 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club

Never bought anything from them either... I wouldn't let it get to ya.
You are entitled to your opinion. That is what this site is for inexperience to fun blown you fill in the blank.
If you checked around the MH and nothing was in the way then go for it. I've yet to go to a sales lot where there is not ample room between the MH's. You were told to look around. The guy wants your business he's going the wrong way about it in my Opinion.
Keep looking, Life like a box of chocolates, Remember...
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
I've never bought anything at that dealership but........

I never trust someone that joins a forum and on their first few posts they bash a product or person. Life isn't perfect and neither are RVs.
I trust nothing of what I read, and only half of what I see. But this post is a good data point for those who want to go thru life enlightened. You wanna blow him off, go ahead. A wise man would note this op's opnion, not live by it. A wise man lives by no man's post except his own.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Hang in there and stay away from i35 RV in Denton. But I think they all have issues. Good luck and keep a looking.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratcliff View Post
I joined this forum months ago and just now had something worthy to share. Maybe sharing my experience was a bad idea.
No, it was not.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #20

Quote:
When you're new to a situation, then everything that happens, is said, or is surmised, has to be taken with a grain of salt because of your lack of a frame or reference.

Your OP bashed the selling experience, and their response (if they had one) might have been to bash you as a button pusher. You could both have been right/ or correct.

I know that I deployed the slides on the first RV we looked at, and then retracted them without checking to see that the bay doors were down. Bent bay door. I bought that problem that I made.

Just sayin' bashing should be done with some carnal knowledge of the subject.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:57 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As part of your experience researching and learning did you review the owners manual for a 2006 Newmar Essex and the steps to follow for extending the slides? Was the coach level? Jacks down or air bags deflated? Engine running? There's more to extending slides or an awning then looking out the window for clearance. Since you have never owned a coach and have "zero RV experience" it might be best when you go to look at the next rig to wait and ask the dealership's representative to demonstrate the various systems. There's a big and expensive gap between book smart and street smart.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:32 AM   #22

I see both sides. Personally, if I was an RV virgin, I would not go into any RV, for sale or not, and start pushing buttons without someone in the know guiding me.

My first concern would be that I would actually damage something. The second concern would be being accused of damaging something that I didn't and not knowing enough to defend myself. Just not a good idea in my book.

Good luck on your search. Maybe ask before hitting buttons next time to be sure.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:24 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with a first post like this is that you are "saving" us from the experience you had. Reading other reviews of this dealership indicates others have had great experiences there.

I see to many first posts like this and then you never see the poster again. I hope that's not the case here. In my opinion it would be best to post the experience one has and let the readers form their own opinion.

I work at a large dealership and we prefer people don't screw around with our units, especially one as complex as a Essex. Others have posted good reasons why, so I will just say we spend alot of money every year fixing items that customers damaged because they didn't know what they were doing.

If a person cussed you out, then that is totally unacceptable. I hope you continue to post on here, and don't let your experience at this dealership ruin your desire to start Rv'ing.
Brian W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #24

Welcome to the forum. Its tough for a newbie not to want to know what a button does and I get wanting to play with everything. Probably a better approach on the part of the salesman would have been to say, "push anything or try anything you want but let me know what you are going to do first". Or simply ask the salesman for a guided demo where you do the pushing and he directs you on what to do. I do this often. eg, when you push this button this is what is going to happen, (sounds movements etc). Now go ahead and push it. and so on.

As a salesman I have seen lots of bad situations. Damaged awnings, slides, overcranking generators and on and on. Had a fellow who wanted to make it cool in the rig while he played with it but the AC's wouldn't come on because I had the breakers off. Breakers were off because there is a limited amount of power on the lot and it blows the breaker in the shop if too many rigs are using AC at the same time. He found the breakers and turned them on, all of them, including the breaker for the water heater that had been winterized and empty. Element blew. I explained to him what happened but he didn't feel responsible.

I have had folks play with levelers and come close to cracking windshields, lifting the rear wheels right off the ground while motorhome was on a bit of a hill. You get the idea. Bad things can happen. Always best to wait till a company representative is there. Besides, a knowledgeable salesman can make the experience a lot more informative.

Hope you find the rig you are looking for. Welcome to the forum, Hope you find it helpful.

John
Old 12-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Chris, that's unbelievable! At least he should have had the decency to say "I'm sorry, but we don't allow customers to operate slides, awnings, etc. because of insurance restrictions, but I'll be happy to demonstrate anything you like".

Hope your next shopping experience is better!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

BTW, does he own the dealership? If not, I would be sure to inform the owner of this experience!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Hi (First Forum Post)!

I've been monitoring this forum for a few months trying to learn everything I can about RVs and RV life. We are in the market for our first RV and planning to go full time in 1-2 years. I have zero RV experience, but have a lot of experience researching and learning. The people on this forum are amazing and I look forward to picking everyone's brain.

Unfortunately my first post is a negative experience, but I wanted to communicate a warning so others don't waste their time. I went to look at an RV at Best Value RV in Denton, Texas. I was dealing with Chris Peeler. When I met him a day earlier I communicated that I was still learning and researching the RV world. Today we went to look at a 2006 Newmar Essex, I took my wife, Son (30 yrs old) and a close friend who's a firetruck mechanic. I'm going to link a yelp review my son posted, it describes our experience quite well. Best Value RV - RV Dealers - 7201 N I-35 Exit 472 - Denton, TX - Reviews - Yelp

Among many things that happened today, Chris Peeler's expectation is that we don't "press buttons" and see how things work. He couldn't believe I put the awning out and worked the slides. All my research has made it clear that this is not an acceptable sales experience.

So for my first contribution to this forum; I recommend avoiding Chris Peeler and Best Value RV. BTW, the Essex had a lot of problems, rust, leaks, poor maintenance, etc.

Thanks,
Chris
"When I met him a day earlier I communicated that I was still learning and researching the RV world."

"Among many things that happened today, Chris Peeler's expectation is that we don't "press buttons" and see how things work. He couldn't believe I put the awning out and worked the slides. All my research has made it clear that this is not an acceptable sales experience. "

I think you should take down that Yelp! review.

You tell someone you are 'learning and researching' not buying, then do what you were asked not to do. You don't say why Mr. Peeler didn't want yo to press the buttons. Maybe because you were 'learning and researching'.

You are the one that should get a bad review.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
If I were purchasing in Texas I would go to PPL Motorhomes.

Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #28

Don't condone what the salesdude said and his attitude but did look at their webpage and saw they unit you were playing with listed for $149,998. If I was employed there, don't think I'd be too happy with someone unescourted, start throwing switches to see what it does. When you arrived at the lot, why didn't you go inside and announce you were there ?

Tags
sale