Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #29

Welcome to the forum. When you are ready to buy and with the salesman with you, feel free to check everything out and be sure all work. Better to find something then, rather than after you take it home and find something. Keep researching and Good luck.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #30

hey on my first test drive with the salesman the awning came out and was ripped off the MH by a phone pole ,ohh well
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #31

FWIW It is not acceptable to do it on your one without a salesman. OTOH It is not acceptable not to do it with the salesman. One of our first questions is how we fit with the slides in and out. If it does not basically work both ways we do not want the unit.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Look, but do not touch.

Let the owner break it and own the breakage.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
If I was employed there, don't think I'd be too happy with someone unescourted, start throwing switches to see what it does.
"Don't touch that lever! You'll blow us all to atoms!" - Doctor Pretorius in Bride of Frankenstein.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
We'll you're not doing a pre delivery inspection, then I think it's understandable, especially with the slide. 1st there's the risk of breaking something. Is there anything outside that could interfere with the slide? Next is the batteries. On a big lot keeping the batteries charged is an ordeal. Do they have RV shows in your area? If you're just getting started they're a great place to browse and touch everything. Once you settle on a unit, the salesman will show you how everything works.
Most RVs I looked at before buying our TT had no batteries installed (they install fresh batteries on delivery), once I was interested in making an offer on a unit they brought over a battery.
marcham
IMO it's far better for a potential buyer if things break while the selling dealer still owns the RV... (and has none of the lookers money).

If a you are not allowed to push all of the buttons... (or if the batteries are not installed and charged).... run, (do not walk), away from that seller.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
marcham
IMO it's far better for a potential buyer if things break while the selling dealer still owns the RV... (and has none of the lookers money).

If a you are not allowed to push all of the buttons... (or if the batteries are not installed and charged).... run, (do not walk), away from that seller.

Mel
'96 Safari

Not Marcham, but...

It's one thing if the slide breaks WITH a representative of the dealership operating it, it's quite another if an INEXPERIENCED buyer does it on their own.

Did the slide have slide locks installed, batteries at proper voltage, etc? We have no problem showing that everything operates as it should, as long as it's us doing the operating.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Not Marcham, but...
It's one thing if the slide breaks WITH a representative of the dealership operating it, it's quite another if an INEXPERIENCED buyer does it on their own.
Did the slide have slide locks installed, batteries at proper voltage, etc? We have no problem showing that everything operates as it should, as long as it's us doing the operating.
Brian W
I stand corrected.
Does that mean that it's okay if a potential buyer asks the seller to push every button for him before he makes a monetary commitment?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Horrible RV Salesman

Roll your eyes all you want, but At our dealership yes, can't speak for other dealerships. We recently had a customer who went step for step with one of our technicians conducting a PDI......for 3 days.

If you want to see something operate, it's our sales staffs responsibility to make sure it happens.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #38

Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

I've been to Best Value RV a couple of times and for the most part it was a good experience. Most of the people there are very friendly, and not pushy at all.

With that said, my interaction with Chris Peeler has been limited, but in that very limited exposer, the guy did come off as a bit of a tool. My wife and I were not his customers and as such, appeared to be of little use to him. I think my wife referred to him as "a Real Poot Head!"

I don't know exactly what role he plays at that RV lot, but I got the impression he might be the owners son or some other relative that can't be fired. I did get the feeling he had been there a long time, and noticed the other sales staff seemed to let him do what he wanted and stayed out of his way.

I assume from reading your post - and the Yelp review - that he dropped the "F" bomb on you. No matter the "F" bomb or other coarse language, there's no excuse for this. This RV lot probably operates on a shoe string budget, and anything broken they don't have margin for. However, there are much better ways to handle this situation. One would have been to just send a sales person out to the coach with you.

Another alternative would be to do like PPL does... Open up the coach for anyone to wonder through, but shut the power off to everything. You can push buttons to your hearts content. Nothing functions until you get a salesman out there to turn the power on.

Anyway... I'm sure from reading earlier post you're now very aware of not trying to operate things without a salesperson to guide you through the process. Short of operating lights, I leave the rest to the salesman (or at least I do it under his/her supervision). This way if anything gets broken, I'm absolved of any construed responsibility.

Hope this experience doesn't sour you on RVing... or even RV shopping. You'll get the hang of it, and you'll find most folks are very friendly and helpful.

Happy Hunting!

Vtwinwilly
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #39

I have so much to say about all these responses, I just don't know if it's worth my time *sigh*. In hindsight, I should have made sure someone was present; however, I did have permission to "screw around". All the comments about the slides are misguided, they were already opened, I just closed them looking at how they sealed and how much space remained.
I'm not quite as ignorant as some responses assume, but then again people target pieces of information and react to them. My fault for presenting incomplete information.
To say I have zero experience was relative to the expertise on this forum, because I had been instructed on slide operation and drove a new DS a month earlier, so I wasn't 100% clueless. That statement was take waaaayyy out of context.

I have no intentions of removing the Yelp review; I didn't write it and it's 100% accurate.
Lessons learned:
1. Have a sale rep or owner present.
2. Do a better job articulating a situation when posting in this forum. Considering I'm a user/customer experience expert, I should have known better. My bad...My bad

Thanks,
Chris
Cratcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #40

Vtwinwilly, thank you.

A couple of people have mentioned PPL. I inquired about one of their coaches in Houston. I really need to get a lot of details before making that drive, but the additional pictures/details didn't give us much more information than the ad. I feel like the person responding to my emails wasn't very interested in getting me quality pictures and enough information to encourage a 4 1/2 hour drive.
So I sadly marked them off the list of places to buy from.

And before I get bombarded because of only negative experiences, my initial interaction with Professional Sales RV | Colleyville Texas RV Dealer was outstanding and I love dealing with National Indoor RV Centers Dallas Texas and Atlanta Georgia. They just don't have anything for me right now.

Thanks,
Chris
Cratcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Horrible RV Salesman

Chris,

Very classy replies. If I offended you with any of my posts I sincerely apologize. I took your initial post to indicate you didn't have any experience.

I hope you continue to post. This is a great forum, and though we don't always agree on here, or word our posts properly, I would bet anyone on here would go out of their way to help each other.

I wish you luck in finding the perfect RV for you.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #42
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratcliff View Post
I have so much to say about all these responses, I just don't know if it's worth my time *sigh*. In hindsight, I should have made sure someone was present; however, I did have permission to "screw around". All the comments about the slides are misguided, they were already opened, I just closed them looking at how they sealed and how much space remained.
I'm not quite as ignorant as some responses assume, but then again people target pieces of information and react to them. My fault for presenting incomplete information.
To say I have zero experience was relative to the expertise on this forum, because I had been instructed on slide operation and drove a new DS a month earlier, so I wasn't 100% clueless. That statement was take waaaayyy out of context.

I have no intentions of removing the Yelp review; I didn't write it and it's 100% accurate.
Lessons learned:
1. Have a sale rep or owner present.
2. Do a better job articulating a situation when posting in this forum. Considering I'm a user/customer experience expert, I should have known better. My bad...My bad

Thanks,
Chris

Chris, I think you have the right idea! I hope you won't let some of the comments made sour you on IRV2! Sometimes things we say in print can be misinterpreted, and sometimes we just should not have said them to start with! I'm afraid we're all guilty of that! Just FIDO it (forget it and drive on).

I think you will find that this is by far the most friendly and most informative RV forum on the web. We need you to help us live up to that reputation!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale