Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #1

Horrible RV Salesman

Hi (First Forum Post)!

I've been monitoring this forum for a few months trying to learn everything I can about RVs and RV life. We are in the market for our first RV and planning to go full time in 1-2 years. I have zero RV experience, but have a lot of experience researching and learning. The people on this forum are amazing and I look forward to picking everyone's brain.

Unfortunately my first post is a negative experience, but I wanted to communicate a warning so others don't waste their time. I went to look at an RV at Best Value RV in Denton, Texas. I was dealing with Chris Peeler. When I met him a day earlier I communicated that I was still learning and researching the RV world. Today we went to look at a 2006 Newmar Essex, I took my wife, Son (30 yrs old) and a close friend who's a firetruck mechanic. I'm going to link a yelp review my son posted, it describes our experience quite well. Best Value RV - RV Dealers - 7201 N I-35 Exit 472 - Denton, TX - Reviews - Yelp

Among many things that happened today, Chris Peeler's expectation is that we don't "press buttons" and see how things work. He couldn't believe I put the awning out and worked the slides. All my research has made it clear that this is not an acceptable sales experience.

So for my first contribution to this forum; I recommend avoiding Chris Peeler and Best Value RV. BTW, the Essex had a lot of problems, rust, leaks, poor maintenance, etc.

Thanks,
Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #2

Every RV we have ever looked at they encouraged that.

Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I can't push the buttons & work the slides, I don't need to look at an rv. I must know things work or I don't want to waste the time looking!

burfurd
Old 12-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #4

We'll you're not doing a pre delivery inspection, then I think it's understandable, especially with the slide. 1st there's the risk of breaking something. Is there anything outside that could interfere with the slide? Next is the batteries. On a big lot keeping the batteries charged is an ordeal. Do they have RV shows in your area? If you're just getting started they're a great place to browse and touch everything. Once you settle on a unit, the salesman will show you how everything works.

Most RVs I looked at before buying our TT had no batteries installed (they install fresh batteries on delivery), once I was interested in making an offer on a unit they brought over a battery.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
We'll you're not doing a pre delivery inspection, then I think it's understandable, especially with the slide. 1st there's the risk of breaking something. Is there anything outside that could interfere with the slide? Next is the batteries. On a big lot keeping the batteries charged is an ordeal. Do they have RV shows in your area? If you're just getting started they're a great place to browse and touch everything. Once you settle on a unit, the salesman will show you how everything works.

Most RVs I looked at before buying our TT had no batteries installed (they install fresh batteries on delivery), once I was interested in making an offer on a unit they brought over a battery.

I somewhat understand if it's a new product. As mentioned in the Yelp review we had permission to "jump in and start screwing around". I did check for obstructions before testing the awning.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #6

I wasn't there so don't know exactly what happened but in our experience, if the salesman was not there (& from the comments, he was not), then you shouldn't have opened the awning or slides as these are big, major things and if you don't know what you're doing a lot of damage could occur. For your future reference in looking at RVs, that is definitely something to do when the salesperson is there with you. Yes, he should have told you that previously but I don't think others would operate those two things when alone with the RV.

If he cussed you out, that was definitely uncalled for. Just chalk this first look up as a lost cause and move forward.

Sorry for your bad experience and hope your future looks turn out better.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #7

A review of BBB for this "RV Company" would have revealed the following.

Customer Complaints Summary Read complaint details
37 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 12 closed in last 12 months
Complaint Type Total Closed Complaints
Advertising/Sales Issues 3
Billing/Collection Issues 1
Delivery Issues 0
Guarantee/Warranty Issues 9
Problems with Product/Service 24
Total Closed Complaints 37

I always check the BBB and many on-line review services before I consider a trip to buy. And so it goes.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Odd, that the rv was not 'deployed' on a sales lot !

We had actually bought two rv's from them - a TT and 5er - they went above and beyond for us... but that was two years ago...

We are now on our 4th or 5th rv and whenever we are shopping, not until we are serious about an rv do we do any 'testing' ...

If the floor plan and decor was not up to snuff, we didn't even go any further...

Good luck to you, and hope you find your third rv, first
Old 12-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #9

Thanks Traxless!
Duly noted. 😎
Old 12-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #10

Having no experience with an RV, I'm not sure you should have been messing around. These aren't washing machines! Without the proper preparation damage can be done "just pushing buttons".

I think we're only hearing one side of this story.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
A review of BBB for this "RV Company" would have revealed the following.

Customer Complaints Summary Read complaint details
37 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 12 closed in last 12 months
Complaint Type Total Closed Complaints
Advertising/Sales Issues 3
Billing/Collection Issues 1
Delivery Issues 0
Guarantee/Warranty Issues 9
Problems with Product/Service 24
Total Closed Complaints 37

Where'd you find that? I found:
North Texas Recreational Vehicle Sales Business Review in Denton, TX - Dallas Texas BBB
Old 12-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #12

Good luck with your learning experience. Its all fun and games 'till you put your money down.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #13

I've never bought anything at that dealership but........

I never trust someone that joins a forum and on their first few posts they bash a product or person. Life isn't perfect and neither are RVs.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
In my own personal experience, without completely knowing that RV's operation procedure I think I would have waited for the salesperson. Just my 2 cents....But in no way should he have raised bloody hell like that!!

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale