Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #1

Hot Skin Condition

I have a "hot skin condition" which can be found anywhere on the skin of my coach (and/or on the Splendide itself) when the drum in my Splendide washer/dryer is turning, (using a non contact AC Voltage Detector).
But ONLY when DRYING... (not while washing, rinsing, or spinning).

The condition is there when the drum is turning in either direction... gone for a moment while the drum stops to change direction....there again when the drum turns in the opposite direction....repeat ...repeat...repeat...until the dryer shuts off.

How can I find the cause, and the cure?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #2

Does the dryer run with 220 volts on the element? (I'm not familiar with the Splendide). If it does, there may be a loose connection or some stray wiring that's touching the RV body and picking up the switch-over when the heating element comes on.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Does the dryer run with 220 volts on the element? (I'm not familiar with the Splendide). If it does, there may be a loose connection or some stray wiring that's touching the RV body and picking up the switch-over when the heating element comes on.
frankdamp
The Splendide model 802 combination washer/dryer runs on 120VAC.
(Thanks for the try).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Based on what you say, the condition is related to the heater coil. I'm not an electrician, but my guess might be that the heater wires have come out of their insulator somewhere and are shorting to the dryer frame. A fuse doesn't blow because the current would go to ground eventually anyway, it's just finding an alternate path.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Based on what you say, the condition is related to the heater coil. I'm not an electrician, but my guess might be that the heater coils have come out of their insulator somewhere and are shorting to the dryer frame. A fuse doesn't blow because the current would go to ground eventually anyway, it's just finding an alternate path.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #6

If you have a calrod type water heater in the washer to increase the HW temperature it is probably pinholed. That creates a leakage path that will tingle but not take out the element right away. The other options are a mis wired outlet or power cord. Check continuity between the shore cord plug safety ground and the chassis. That should be low as in an ohm or less. Depending on your transfer switch you also may be able to check the neutral to power cord neutral.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #7

FWIW - and kicking myself for not seeing it the first time - I don't think you have a line problem. I think you are reading static electricity from the tumbling clothes. Try a dryer sheet if you do not use them. ;-)