Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #1

House Batteries

I did a search looking for this info but didn't find anything pertaining specifically to our MH. 2015 29' Georgetown. Getting ready to store for the winter and want to know about house batteries. I don't believe there will be any power in the storage facility. Right now, the house battery is turned off (just inside the door). It had been in the shop for a few fixes and they winterized it for us and when we picked it up, that switch was off. So...Do we keep it off for the 5-ish months it will be in storage? NOTHING is listed in the manual. WHY don't they have manuals for specific models!! grrrrrr! ANNOYING!!

Thanks!
Cinders1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
What *I* would do if I had to long term store without power would be to remove the batteries, bring them home, and connect them to a battery maintainer. Or even just bring them home and put them someplace that won't deep freeze, then give them a full charge before taking them back to the RV when it's time to go again.

There are generally parasitic loads on both battery banks that will continue to drain the batteries even with the switch off, I'd guess the odds are against you finding charged batteries at the end of the 5 months.

If you decide to take them out of the RV take a LOT of pictures, from multiple angles, so that you can hook everything up again come spring. When you think you've taken enough pictures, take a bunch more.
Be sure and have backups of those pictures, in case something happens to the device used to take them. You DON'T want to have to try and figure out what all of those wires and cables do and where they should be connected.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #3

The switch inside the door does not disconnect the battery. Some devices inside will continue to operate (smoke and propane detectors) and will draw down the batteries to zero. Not sure where you are storing your rig (how cold will it get) but I suggest you either remove the batteries or at least disconnect the positive cable at the terminal. (wrap the wire end with tape to prevent an accidental contact). Make sure the batteries are fully charged before doing this.

I installed a cut off switch to do the same thing.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #4

Some RVs, including my 2017 Thor, do disconnect everything, including the propane detector, with the switch near the door, so it depends.

Safest and easiest thing is to remove the negetive terminals from the batteries and leave it alone.

Fully charged batteries will last for 4 to 6 months in storage and will not freeze.

My boat has 11 batteries, in not lugging them home in the winter.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Fully charged batteries will last for 4 to 6 months in storage and will not freeze.

I'd call that optimistic, especially in a freezing climate. I wouldn't want to gamble on more than 3 months, and that's with relatively new batteries and the ground cable disconnected. Even my car battery won't last 4-6 months.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'd call that optimistic, especially in a freezing climate. I wouldn't want to gamble on more than 3 months, and that's with relatively new batteries and the ground cable disconnected. Even my car battery won't last 4-6 months.
Tell that to all of the boaters and Rvers up in the Mid West and New England who store over the long winters.

I leave all of my batteries, mower, scooter, jet ski, pickup, pontoon boat, unhooked for 6 to 7 months a year in Northern NY, while I winter in FL.

Lead acid bateries have a self discharge rate of 3% to 4% per month depending on temperature.

https://northeastbattery.com/battery...cid-batteries/Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-12-08-20-23-01.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	268961
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #7

If the acid level in a battery is good it's not going to physically freeze above -30 even after a long winter. And in alaska our car batteries started our cars at 62 below. But being cold , they don't put out much, so don't plan on storing them and middle of a severe cold snap going down and starting it up.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If the acid level in a battery is good it's not going to physically freeze above -30
Right, but the acid concentration (specific gravity) decreases as the charge deteriorates. As the SOC nears 50%, the freeze point goes UP to around 0 F. At 20% SOC, it's about 19 F.

See the SOC vs freeze table from Trojan: https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/WP...orage_0512.pdf

Quote:
Tell that to all of the boaters and Rvers up in the Mid West and New England who store over the long winters.
LOL - I just did. Born and raised in central NY myself and never left batteries in boats or other equipment over the winter. Not if I expected good performance the following summer. Maintaining the charge over months of inactivity is "best practice", whether absolutely necessary or not. Your mileage may vary.

I'll grant that disconnecting batteries goes a long way toward preserving charge in the off-season. May be enough if the battery is in good condition and fully charged to start with.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #9

Up here in Minnesota, I just finished pulling the batteries from the Gold Wing and the RV and putting them in the closet inside my apartment.

I could have left them, disconnected, and chances are they'd be fine.

"Chances are."

This way I get certainty. I've frozen my share of batteries that aren't at 100% on those -35 nights.

(If winter meant a low of maybe 10 degrees, I wouldn't bother.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another data point, even among lead acid batteries there can be a difference in self discharge rate based on plate composition. Starting batteries containing antimony or calcium self discharge more quickly than deep cycle with pure lead. Age and cycles of the battery factors in as well, a newer battery self discharges more slowly than an old battery. Obviously removing the batteries and putting them on a maintainer in a location always above freezing is ideal. For less than ideal you do what you can but at a minimum it would be to fully charge and disconnect. Frankly if they self discharge and freeze in 3 months they probably weren't all that good to begin with.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries