Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #1

House battery crush

Hi, Iam Dave5. A new member, but have the RV bug and want to give back too, since ya'll have taught be so much already!

Bought my 2003 Journey DL last Oct and brought it back to Atlanta on my and it's maiden trip (at least fo me). Wholly Crap. What a crazy move. Buy my baby on eaby, sight unseen, trust the former owner, god bless him, fly to San Diego, get a 4 hour primer, and head to Atlanta. What an adventure! I love you guys! I met so many incredible folks, from camp managers to store clerks at Walmart. I was even thought to be an old rockstar at one stop in Arizona (it was a weird kind of ghost town) but I made it!
I've been to Florida 2x , andup the east coast 3 times, even to Long Island! OMG ...... I can tell you some stories. She's (my kitten)(my ***** cat)(my CAT) 330hp has been perfect......well, almost.
HOUSE BATTERIES .. Would not take a charge. After checking them, and hearing... They need to be replaced! Ok I did. This weekend. The journey has great slide out battery shelves but once I took out the old batteries I noticed the wear on the cables. Like 6 inch long bare spots on both neg cables! I examined the engineering of the battery shelf and concluded that the dumb bunnies that made the cables long enough to access for service didn't design a way for them to retract without pinching against several points in the coach frame. I bought wire bundle tube and rewrapped them. But then I couldn't close the shelf!. So I tied a nylon rope to to rear area of the cables, ran it up over the top of the batteries and pulled the cables up and out while closing the shelf door! Worked like a charm.
This is probably not a common problem and may not be the perfect solution but it worked for me.
Love you guy's.... Thanks for your tips
Dave5
Dave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have that same problem with my H.R. I did sort of the same thing as you. That design of theirs is a real feat of engineering. You gotta wonder!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
It's really not critical on the negative cable, on some set ups they use bare braided copper straps. It is important that the positive cables be well insulated and not pinched or insulation cut. Thanks for the info, a picture would be helpful.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #4

Yes I did a thorough exam of the positive cables and found no damage. They where suspended and positioned differently than the negative cables but it made me wonder...if they could design an appropriate system for the positive why not do it for the negative also? Also, the former owner installed a 30amp service next to the RV's parking cover and told me that he always left it plugged in while at home (most of the time) ( an 03 with 27,000 miles)?
I read here that such a practice was bad for the house batteries as they need to drain and recharge for longer life.
Is that so?
Old 12-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
A battery only has a certain number of discharge, charge cycles. If the converter/charger is multiple stage so that it is just a trickle charger when batteries are full, it's not harmful. Check water levels and look up your model of converter/charger to see if it has multiple charging stages.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #6

Thanks ill do that