Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #1

Household-type, motorized awning on an RV?

Has anyone ever installed a household, motorized awning on an RV? (like the one pictured below). They are much cheaper. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Household awning.png
Views:	41
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	249653  
Matt NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 07:24 PM   #2

If you could make sure it didn’t open going down the road it might work.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #3

I'd be concerned about the mounting. Houses will have 2x4 or 2x6 studding and header boards which provide substantial support. None of that exists in a typical RV.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #4

I had my carefree mirage 22' awning replaced last year. installed a Girard 22'8" awning.. I was a builder remodeler from '80 to '04. I installed several home awnings. the cassette or frame the awning closes into is just not the same. the mounting required for rv is way different. the bolts for rv go thru the wall and have large inside anchor when replaced unless you get exact same unit. the cassette then slides over the under frame. and of course the final rain and moisture lip on top is different. but being a builder and with experience you could pull it off with buying some needed components. but woukld never last. my new Girard cost $7 grand with shipping. really expensive. and removing and installing the body shop did with my help, wew..
Old 06-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #5

The issue isn't mounting, because there is substantial places to mount an awning.
It's design and materials to endure RV driving down the road with wind.
WAY more than what a house typically sees (outside of a tornado).

Even RV awnings can struggle.
Definitely not worth the savings.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #6

Having installed 3 Sunsetter residential awnings, I'd say that it isn't a good idea. As mentioned above, the mounting hardware isn't suitable for an RV. Secondly, they are designed to plug into 120 volts. Even if you have a generator, it makes more sense to me to have a 12 volt awning if you want an electric awning. Haven't compared prices, but you could save a few bucks going with a manual awning. Personally, there's are quite a few thinks I prefer about a manual awning.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #7

Thanks for all the input. I have decided to stick with an awning designed for an RV. My awning broke last year. We got a sudden downpour overnight and I had left the awning out (and not angled!). When I went to lower one end to dump the water build-up, the weight of it snapped the roller tube in half. I was contemplating replacing it with a motorized unit, but a friend gave me another roller tube (arms and all). So all I really need is to buy the fabric. Unfortunately, his roller tube no longer has the tension on it. Thats going to be exciting.
Matt NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #8

well my mirage was 120v and my Girard is also 120v. my inverter will operate but I wont use it. IMHO mounting is a big issue. I do know 12v was an option but not recommended by my factory salesman. but It may be gas vs diesel debate.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #9

MattNY, the roller tube is likely unwound with no fabric on it.
For many awnings, the fabric is threaded to the RV track, and two people "wind" the arms to tension the spring. On mine, that is typically eight full turns. Then, the arms are clipped to the sides of the RV to keep the spring tensioned against the pull of the fabric. It isn't a lot of pressure, one just needs to ensure neither person lets go. No where near the pressure of a torsion garage door opener that can be dangerous.

re: mounting...dependent on the RV construction method that are lots of ways to secure solidly. Certainly the Home awning brackets weren't designed for the RV. But, as mentioned in earlier post...that's not the problem at all because if that was the only thing, there are lots of ways to solidly mount the awning to the RV. But, it's just philosophic because it's not a good idea to begin with.

Tags
awning