Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Housekeeping Schedule?

Without casting stones, how often are housekeeping chores done in your RV? As a man it is not a high priority to me, but my wife thinks cleaning is required regularly. Often daily.
1. Wife insists changing sheets every 5 days. I hate struggling on the skinny side of the bed where I have to keep my big feet sideways when changing.
2. Bed must be made every morning after breakfast.
3. Mondays and Thursdays coach must be vacuumed and swept and/or swifter moped. Blames it on me and the little dogs. We do have patio mat and entry mat rug.
4. At least once a week, laundrymat since we don't have washer and dryer. She doesn't believe in turning the clothes inside out for a couple more days.
5. She cooks and I have to do dishes. Therefore I try to use paper plates and paper cups often. She can't stand seeing dirty dishes in sink. I like to wash once a day in evening, but sometimes I will do twice. She thinks immediately upon completion of each meal. I bug her by asking how are the dogs going to have time to lick the dishes that way.:dance
6. Clean toliets twice weekly, shower weekly. She showers almost daily and on hot and sticky days, again before bedtime. Wipe down interior of coach weekly. Now if I could just get her to help wash and wax the exterior!

I am in a retirement state of mind and want to be up and out early, not housekeeping. I do a thorough job when we get home home after each trip. Most of our trips are a week to 10 days each month. We do two extended trips each year. What do others do?
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Paul, Just a thought....Happy wife...Happy Life.

Being a bachelor mine doesn't get done on my S&B as often as it should, but it does get done.

Certainly something you and your DW have to work out together. JMHO
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #3

I believe everything has a place and it should be in it. Since we still work we only take a week at the time. Dishes are done after eating which is not often since we eat out most of the time. We wash cloths after 3 days to keep them from piling up no need to wash sheets on short trips but the bed gets made up every morning. Rig gets cleaned top to bottom inside and out when we get home so it's ready to go next time.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #4

Sounds right to me.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post

1. Wife insists changing sheets every 5 days. I hate struggling on the skinny side of the bed where I have to keep my big feet sideways when changing.
Change sheets one a week since I have been 8 years old no matter where I lived. My wife still does.

2. Bed must be made every morning after breakfast.--Yep. Same here.

3. Mondays and Thursdays coach must be vacuumed and swept and/or swifter moped. Blames it on me and the little dogs. We do have patio mat and entry mat rug.
As needed but usually just once a week or ten days. We also have a dog.

4. At least once a week, laundrymat since we don't have washer and dryer. She doesn't believe in turning the clothes inside out for a couple more days.
Same here.

5. She cooks and I have to do dishes. Therefore I try to use paper plates and paper cups often. She can't stand seeing dirty dishes in sink. I like to wash once a day in evening, but sometimes I will do twice. She thinks immediately upon completion of each meal.
Dishes washed immediately after weach meal. Dirty dishes in sink are NOT tolerated.

6. Clean toilets twice weekly, shower weekly. As needed.
There is our schedule. As you can see, your wife is not compulsive.

Besides cleaning takes so little time in the 240 sq. ft. of RV when compared to 1500 sq. ft. of house.

This is a battle that I would NOT fight. Go with the flow.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Community Moderator

With the trips only lasting a week to ten days, I say only clean when you bring the RV home. All that time spent cleaning is time better spent actually going for a walk, seeing new things, meeting new people, etc. No one ever lays on their death bed thinking "I wish I cleaned more often" !

Agree completely on using paper plates, paper bowls, plastic forks, plastic cups, etc..... When meal is over - toss in trash!

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Clean floor etc once a week or so depending on the need, dishes once a day in the evening bed made as soon as we get up. Can see your wife's point of cleaning all the time, it'll take less time if it's kept up.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Most woman I know, the home (RV) is their domain and they feel the cleanliness and order of it is a reflection of them.

You have to admit, your place always looks and must feel good.

I don't have to do quite as much as you, as the outside is my domain when camping and at home, my wife does not have to work so when I arrive home from work, everything is done. That's just our arrangement.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Same thing here. For the most part the inside is DW domain, although we both make the bed in the morning and wash the dishes together.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:06 AM   #10

Whoever cooks, the other does dishes after Breakfast and Dinner. Lunch is paper plates. Tolerate some dirty in the sink because finishing coffee after clearing up leaves a dirty cup. ;-) Rest pretty much as needed so laundry every week or so, bed with laundry. Bed made daily and a quick sweep.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #11

HouseKeeping Schedule ............Sorry ........My vote to your smart WIFE. go girl .......
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #12
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
When I said that the inside is my wife's domain, I should add that that does not obsolve me from making sure I put things away so I don't contribute to disorder.

The way I see it is I have 2 options:

Option 1:

Pick up after myself or suffer the wrath of endless browbeating or

Option 2:

Pick up after myself and put it away otherwise I will never see it again. Somehow, if I have left something out and she puts it away, her reply has always been "I haven't seen it" and it goes to the place of the missing sock. AND as is always the case, I'll find what I'm looking for in the most in obvious place only after I've gone and purchased a new one.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #13

I'm with the wife! It's your home, and homes look and feel better to us (and others) when they're clean. Besides, it forces us to 'exercise,' and I have a feeling that at least 99% of us need more of that!
RVNewB101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I am all about clean, but at the risk of being whipped with a feather duster, I used to wonder why in the military we would be expected to scrub the floors because it was Tuesday, rather than because the floors were dirty. Then, when I was a rookie with a large city fire department, the trucks would be pulled out of the station every morning, and we would clean them whether they were dirty or not. When I questioned why we were cleaning apparatus that were already very clean, an old driver-engineer explained to me that the best way to check things for any damage or missing items, was to put your hands on it with a chamois after washing it. I then watched him apply paste wax to every inch of that old red fire engine, and then he watched me as I removed that wax all by myself. Ever since then, I quit asking so many questions about cleaning things on a routine basis, and just appreciate how pretty and shiny all of my vehicles are, inside and out!
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote