Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Housesitters or not??

When you take your RV out for a month or more...what do most of you do with your "sticks & bricks" home? Do you get a housesitter or just lock it up and hope for the best? We have never left for longer than a couple of weeks. Just wondering what everyone else does. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleValley2 View Post
When you take your RV out for a month or more...what do most of you do with your "sticks & bricks" home? Do you get a housesitter or just lock it up and hope for the best? We have never left for longer than a couple of weeks. Just wondering what everyone else does. Thanks
I have a housesitter stay at the house.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #3

We used a house sitter twice, once a relative, another a highly recommended "friend of a relative". Both times were pretty much unsatisfactory experiences. We now shut the house down (there are several past threads on how people do this if you search) and leave. We pay someone to care for the lawn and pool, and a service to put up hurricane shutters, if needed, and remove them. We learned through experience that we do not need friends, strangers, or family in the house while we are gone. Works for us when we leave 6-7 months at a time.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
We used a house sitter twice, once a relative, another a highly recommended "friend of a relative". Both times were pretty much unsatisfactory experiences. We now shut the house down (there are several past threads on how people do this if you search) and leave. We pay someone to care for the lawn and pool, and a service to put up hurricane shutters, if needed, and remove them. We learned through experience that we do not need friends, strangers, or family in the house while we are gone. Works for us when we leave 6-7 months at a time.
This is exactly what I was thinking. There is something about having someone else staying in your home when you are not there. It seems like you're asking for trouble. I guess it's different if it is someone you absolutely trust, but anything can happen.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used a house sitter twice...one time for a week (everything was okay) and once for a month...never again...came back after the month one and the house was a wreck but the worse of it was they stole my gold jewelry...it was family that stayed in my home...the state police are still investigating but told me there is nothing much they can do besides question the suspects!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We used a house sitter once. The young adult daughter of one of DWs good friends. Never again. There had clearly been parties and they had taken DW's VW out for a joy ride... apparently using fuel they found in a gas can in my garage. That would be the gas can I kept mixed fuel in for the weed eater.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #7

Normally we just have a neighbor, come over to check on the house and to water the house plants. On one trip, we had some of the wifes co-workers stay at our place as their house had burned to the ground a couple days before we left. They took good care of everything, but he was an appraiser for the borough and when he found out what the inside of our place looked like, he adjusted the value of our place UP! That sucked but they did take good care of everything.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have used house sitters dozens of time and never a bad experience. But I always use ADULTS 40 + years of age. No teens, or 20 somethings!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #9

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We've only left for a couple weeks at a time but we(I) turn off the ice maker waterline & ice maker, hot and cold lines to the washing machine and shut off the hot water heater (electric) don't have to worry about flooding unless a main pipe bursts- my toilet and sink lines are auto shut off if they surpass xx flow per minute.

Also have a friend come check every couple days.

Originally, I thought the plumbing guy was selling me a bag of tricks so I just bought one line for the bathroom in the basement. A couple weeks later DD came up and said hey the toilet won't flush- went down figuring the then 10 year old forgot how to flush ( it happens- you know it does ) well got downstairs and found the new puppy (my avatar) had been chewing the line as it was nice and cold on her incoming teeth. She had chewed it in half! No flooding no leaks! I went right back to the hardware store and bout lines for all toilets and under the sinks.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #10

Cancel the paper, forward the mail (to my brother who lives across the street), turn the water main off, water heater and furnace down, pay a neighbor boy to look after the lawn in summer/driveway in winter, make sure insurance is up to date - and leave without giving it a second thought....
Old 07-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #11

With all the tweakers in Hesperia, I would get a house sitter. We use an older lady that lives in the city. She loves our country home and we pay her a nice bonus on our return. Peace of mind is worth a lot.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just bought a seasonal home in CO where we will spend a couple of months twice each summer. I am installing a security system that includes: A video camera, motion sensor, two flood sensors, a temperature sensor and four door sensors. The sensors are wireless so installation is simple. The system connects to the provider (FrontPoint Security) via the Verizon data net. We can go to the provider web site, access the security system, turn it on and off and see what is going on in the house.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L
We just bought a seasonal home in CO where we will spend a couple of months twice each summer. I am installing a security system that includes: A video camera, motion sensor, two flood sensors, a temperature sensor and four door sensors. The sensors are wireless so installation is simple. The system connects to the provider (FrontPoint Security) via the Verizon data net. We can go to the provider web site, access the security system, turn it on and off and see what is going on in the house.
Wireless being battery or just communications? If battery, they are rated for long enough between visits?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I have been a house sitter on a couple of occasions and it is basically about choosing the right person. In one case, I was there for more than a month when the owners were travelling abroad. In that time, I had to deal with an ant infestation (came through a crack in their foundation which I plugged), an adopted daughter whose phone company was calling because of non payment of the bill (father had arranged for phone because of daughters credit rating), a water heater failure. I also trimmed their hedges (badly neglected), mowed their lawns and so on. They had a house keeper who normally came once per week. She told me that I was a better homemaker than the owners. So for those who have had less than salutatory experiences with home sitters, remember too that it can go both ways. I was also doing all that for free. Probably saved them a bundle because I didn't get the sense they were the type of folks to DIY.