Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2014, 05:16 AM   #1

HOV lanes?

Can a RV legally use a HOV lane through a city? I have done this in the past but would like to hear from others.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 05:37 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Hey Muffin. I did some googling and it appears to be a State by State thing.
PM me on your arrival dates down here.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Seems to me that you could be viewed as a truck as you are on a truck chassis. That would mean your liable to get a ticket....JMHO.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:54 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The HOV lanes in my area a limited to maximum of two axles and a maximum of 1 ton rating. If it is also a toll lane, best to call the HOV authority.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #5

Cliff PM sent. I have used a few in the past but was concerned about the legality. Yesterday we were down town Atlanta, Ga at 3:30 and a tour bus was whisteling along around 50mph in the HOV and we were sitting still next to it. This got me thinking would the police even bother with this. Makes since that the states and city's would have different laws for the same thing.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
In Harris County (Houston), Metro buses use the HOV lanes which were mostly built and financed by Metro. As Ken stated above, though, I wouldn't try it in an RV. Metro has its own police force that patrols the HOV lanes, Metro buses, Metro light rail, etc., so there's a very good chance that one would be stopped and ticketed.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:45 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
HOV lanes High-occupancy vehicle lane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and if one does a search, every state has different laws regarding these lanes. I am never in a position in my travels to need to try driving in the fastest lane on any given road that has these HOV lanes. Traffic is usually really moving in the HOV lanes..........and they are always right in the heart of the city's with the most congested, under-designed infrastructure when it comes to traffic and the amount of autos and lanes to move them.....
Old 01-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
In TexUS, they usually post which can and cannot use it before the entrance...

but in general:

A vehicle occupied by two or more people may use HOV lanes. Vehicles eligible to use HOV lanes include, but are not limited to:
  • passenger cars
  • pickup trucks
  • vans
  • buses
  • motorcycles
  • emergency vehicles responding to a call
NOTE: Hybrid vehicles with single occupants are not allowed in HOV lanes.

Prohibited vehicles include, but are not limited to:
  • Trucks with more than two axles
  • Trucks having a gross weight capacity of five tons+ (10k lbs)
  • Vehicles towing trailers
Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did it in LA once and I can assure you that no matter how fast you are going everyone behind you (and I mean everyone) is upset that you are there legal or not. Take it with a grin, I did.

But I have never done it since.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In and around Houston the speed limit in the "enclosed" HOV lanes (Enclosed = barricades on both curb and passenger side with designated exits.) is 55 mph. In my car I travel to keep up with speed and most of the time it is 65-70. Not my idea of a good avenue for an RV, at least for me.

As stated, each state has their own rules and regulations and it is wise to visit that states web site for their HOV structure. Around the Houston area it is the Harris County Toll Road Authority (HTCRA) the regulates the toll road.

Some of the toll roads around Houston require an EZ-TAG as there are no collection booths. Example would be the Katy Managed HOV/Toll lanes. It is allowable for a 3 axle or vehicles towing a trailer to use those 12 miles of lanes at a cost of $7.00 per tolling plaza and I think there are 3, or 4, tolling plazas on that strip but only for EZ-TAG. Other rates (Dynamic tolling) on that stretch vary by time of day for cars.

For any restrictions in the Houston Area there are signs posted prior to entering an HOV/Toll area.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #11

I was wondering this myself last Sunday when we were driving I75 thru Atlanta. Being Sunday, it wasn't too bad, but wanting to just go straight thru the city & not be concerned with all of the exits would have been nice. Except, I don't think DH would take the rig over in to the HOV. Just the ponderings of the Navigator.
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #12

Too bad that there is no Federal standard for these things. But that would take an Act of Congress. I guess I won't see that in my lifetime.................
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Dumb question but doesn't HOV stand for High Occupancy Vehicle? I have seen 2 person and 3 person minimum numbers required to be in the lane. If I have the right amount of people, I will use it with my rig unless otherwise posted. It should not matter the vehicle, but how many in it?
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Dumb question but doesn't HOV stand for High Occupancy Vehicle? I have seen 2 person and 3 person minimum numbers required to be in the lane. If I have the right amount of people, I will use it with my rig unless otherwise posted. It should not matter the vehicle, but how many in it?
That's the way I read I unless otherwise posted. Thanks for all the responses.