Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2019, 08:12 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How about a roadside assistance database?

Not talking about companies that advertise finding roadside assistance for you, like Good Sams or Coach-Net. (Coach-Net has underperformed badly for me three times on this, and I expect I'm not the only one)

For example, I had a blowout on the side of the highway, called Coach-Net and 3 hours later and 5 phone calls to them and they still had not made any progress on finding someone to bring me tires despite their assurances they were going to "take care of it".

I made 10 calls and negotiated with 2 of them for service. (yea, flame away, I know I should have not depended on Coach-Net and should have started making my calls right away) I had no idea if I had reputable service on the way, but at least someone was on the way. I was hoping for Coach-Net to have experience. (And I was not far from a good-sized city)

Has anyone thought about a member contributed database, with searchable listings of roadside assistance people who have provided a good experience? Maybe add a feature to the RVservicereviews web page? If there is one, and I missed it, my apologies.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #2

I have a guy locally who is a friend of mine who runs a roadside repair business I would highly recommend.
I hope a moderator sees this thread and provides some insight whether a listing like this fits in with their rules.
Lynn
Old 06-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
It would look like the Encyclopedia Britannica with all the companies around the nation.
Perhaps this could/would be a website you could start. I'll send info for a few good ones around N Georgia area
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In California all the major highways have a tow truck company assigned to cover a certain area around them.

This is administered by the CHP who require that a tow truck will be dispatched in a certain amount of time. In order to keep their contract they hustle pretty fast.

If you notify the CHP you are broke down along side the highway they will dispatch a tow truck.

A broke down RV along the highway is a hazard and they want it rectified right away.

I'm not sure how other states do it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
In California all the major highways have a tow truck company assigned to cover a certain area around them.

This is administered by the CHP who require that a tow truck will be dispatched in a certain amount of time. In order to keep their contract they hustle pretty fast.

If you notify the CHP you are broke down along side the highway they will dispatch a tow truck.

A broke down RV along the highway is a hazard and they want it rectified right away.

Arch,
Who pays the tow bill? I have Progressive Insurance with roadside assistance. Will Progressive cover the bill? How about other assistance contracts such as Good Sam's or Coach Net. NY State does something similar on the Interstate. The tow truck companies are not bashful about charging the vehicle owner for a tow. You don't have a choice as far as I know.
Lynn
Old 06-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Arch,
Who pays the tow bill? I have Progressive Insurance with roadside assistance. Will Progressive cover the bill? How about other assistance contracts such as Good Sam's or Coach Net. NY State does something similar on the Interstate. The tow truck companies are not bashful about charging the vehicle owner for a tow. You don't have a choice as far as I know.
Lynn

I don't know who pays the bill. I assume that would depend on what your coverage is, or isn't.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

Generally, They have rotation call list by districts. If they need to dispatch a tow, and the driver does not have a preference, then they go to the first one on the list. If no answer, they go to the next one and will return to the first one for the next rotation call and try again. If they don't answer again they drop to the bottom of the list. If the driver has a preference for a tow company then they will attempt to use that service. If the requested wrecker service is not in that district and it is a traffic obstruction, then it will be either a request for one in the district or the next rotation wrecker.