Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #29
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I guess I'm in the camp where, if I can help, I'll answer a question whether it's been asked once before, 10x before, 100x before or never before. Even with what can be the same answers, there are times a new "AH-HA" new answer comes through & I appreciate that. If we were to tell everyone not to ask until they did a search first, to begin with we'd put off a lot of members & next we might just miss out on that new perspective someone who hasn't answered that question before has to offer.

Even with searching, how many times have you gone ahead & asked anyway? I know I've done it, either because a previous discussion was so far back I'm hoping for new info or because what I searched didn't give me what I wanted to know.

FWIW, both the Forums 101 thread & the FAQ section address searching. I'm sure EVERYONE has read those.....right?

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #30
I think there is nothing wrong with asking question again! What I do not care for is when following a thread and some one makes comment on the thread that has nothing to do with the thread but is a comment to friend that is personal comment.

lyncjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #31
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
One of the things I like to do is research and read past threads on this and other forums, and articles. That said, not everyone knows how to do research or has the patience to wade through a few to a lot of posts within any thread on any one subject. Some people just need to interact, even face to face.

If you don't want to answer somebody's question, don't, just modify your behavior by passing it by and your frustrations will disappear.

Trying to train or control others, especially those you don't know, is a waste of time.

If moderators over moderate these threads, posters are gonna start going elsewhere, worrying about second guessing themselves every time they want to ask a question.
Moderators, on the other hand, should lead, link, and edit as they see fit as that is their responsibility and challenge. So thanks to the moderators without reserve.

And...This is a fast changing environment. For example, the Ford F-53 gas super duty class A chassis that came out in 2009/2010 is a game changer that makes a lot of older gas vs diesel discussions misleading and outdated. Not saying gas = diesel, but the suspension gap has narrowed significantly.

Best behavior, in my opinion, is to skip over questions you don't want to answer, that irritate your, or you feel are covered elsewhere. Eventually, members pick up on the treasure trove of information within and do their own sorting out.

And you Sir win the prize for best reply! IMO,
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #32
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
If everyone used the search and didn't ask some of the same questions over and over you would not have had much to read for the last two years.
X2....I spend alot of time on this forum and try to offer my experience when appropriate. But if everyone used the search, two things would happen. First there would be nothing to read and the forum would be useless as just about every question you can imagine has been asked over the last several years. And two the information would not be as up to date as everything changes in time, whether it's who's the best dealer, what's the best deal, what's the best MFG, gas vs diesel, leveling systems....whatever the topic may be I think you can see my point. This would further deteriorate the usefulness of this site.

So I guess my question is would you rather the forum not exist, or just enjoy reading and learning more about the RV'ing world, cause no matter who you are old or young, or how long you have been RV'ing nobody knows everything.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hasn't this question on questions been questioned before? Probably has, and I'm also one of those who doesn't mind, even if I end up repeating a previous answer. Reminds me of watching an old favorite movie for the second time or even the third time. Quite often pick up on something I missed the first time through.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:35 AM   #34
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
1) Old threads = old answers. There might be a new answer out there, especially to common questions like "What's the best toad?" The answer might change with every model year, and it would be a complete waste of time to sift through an old 30-page thread just to find out no one's answered it recently because it's an old 30-page thread. You could start from the last page and work backwards, I suppose, but you'd be missing out on a lot of great information that you might get from a new thread.

2) This site's search function has always worked well for me, but the answers aren't always what I was looking for because the OP didn't phrase the question the same way I would have. Search results have a hard time differentiating between "What's the best toad for a family of four?" and "What's the best toad for towing four down?" They sound like the same question to a search engine but they have a very different emphasis, and the answers to one won't serve the other particularly well.

3) This site has new people joining every day, and they're not searching through old threads to answer old questions - but they will search new threads and answer questions that are new to them... no matter how many times they've already been asked. It helps to keep the subject matter fresh and timely instead of dated and stale.

That all said, I do like it when some enterprising members refer to older threads in their answers as a starting reference, but then go on to answer the question again in the new thread. It's really the best of both worlds.
2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4302
pulling a 2013 Ford Edge Limited

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:59 AM   #35
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
I believe many people are naive about how to perform a search. Also, if they do, they feel overwhelmed by all the posts to weed thru to get the answers they are looking for. Much easier to just start a new thread about an old subject.
I agree the search engine brings up 100 items you don't need or you cannot reply to because thread is expired. Gives me something to do and some people are in an emergency cituation and need our help. Keep posting I'll answer no matter what. I am good at repeating myself anyway.
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:24 AM   #36
Send a message via Skype™ to hammer55
some times I don't ask a question because I know it has to have been answered here somewhere, but if ya don't put it in the search engine just right you will not get the right results, so I make a estimated guess and or search youtube, or just keep looking, because I know how annoying it can be for those who have been here a long time,
Everyday is a holiday, and every meal a banquet 2014 Coachman Pursuit 27KB , A work in progress:
1986 Winnebago Chieftain 23' 454 p30,
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:48 AM   #37
Fleetwood Owners Club
Love the passion here! It would seem that my sentiments and suggestions are all wet... I thought there might be a little debate, but I'm gathering that nobody minds the repetition because we all love helping a newb and because of the possible new insights. Thank you all for your replies! I guess if it ain't broken, don't fix it! I especially loved the "hasn't this question been asked before?!"... But I guess that's okay! :
Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2006 Monaco Knight 38 PDQ
Ready Brute Elite-2008 Hummer H3
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:28 AM   #38
Rexhall Owners Group
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
You are asking the same question again. Do a search and you will find that out.

Ok. Just stirring the pot. IF the search function on this site worked better I would sure appreciate it.
I agree with YC1. Your post has been posted before with different wording. Maybe not being such a grump would help.
Mick & Vonna, 1999 Rexhall Rexair
GRUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:07 AM   #39
Fleetwood Owners Club
Well your all wrong! Chevy tops Ford, diesel over gas, 5er best TT, and any paper works in the toilet. There, all the answers in one post, you can shut down the forum now.

Ops forgot P/FJ for fuel and CW for service!

Ok my real reply, like many of your previous replies I enjoy reading how others worked their way through problems. I have used the search options before but prefer reading replies from posters that I read here regularly, you tend to get and possibly trust their replies and know that some are so set in their ways that their replies are meaningless.
Tim & Mary Discovery 40X. Chevy Tahoe. RVM32
"I've been lost now, days uncounted..."GFR"
huntnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #40
Stevie G, that's about the 10th time I've seen that suggestion.BTW should I leave my black tank open?Lol.
2000 DSDP, 3894,Freightliner,330 Cat, 07 Jeep Commander 4x4toad.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:46 AM   #41
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Well your all wrong! Chevy tops Ford, diesel over gas, 5er best TT, and any paper works in the toilet. There, all the answers in one post, you can shut down the forum now.

Ops forgot P/FJ for fuel and CW for service!

Ok my real reply, like many of your previous replies I enjoy reading how others worked their way through problems. I have used the search options before but prefer reading replies from posters that I read here regularly, you tend to get and possibly trust their replies and know that some are so set in their ways that their replies are meaningless.
Tim, You forgot to mention Walmart parking.
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
I guess we're done????

woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote