Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-02-2014, 07:20 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club

When I first joined the forum as a noob (still am btw), I didn't even know the proper term to search for. So asking someone to search for something when the keyword needed to get good search results is unknown makes it very hard to find the threads discussing that topic.

My other thought is I can actually answer some of these repeated questions because I've memorized it myself! Gives me a feeling of being able to contribute back what I've gained from the site.

'07 Newmar KSDP3916 w/Hydralift carrying '06 FLHX, '15 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Alpha, RVibrake2
With the birds...
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I've tried to search for a particular thing and so much irrelevant information has to be read and weeded through that I don't bother anymore. We all know how a post can quickly get off-topic or political. Why wade through all that stuff?

People want an instant answer to their unique problem.

I don't mind at all giving my comments....over and over again. There are many new folks out there and I feel the forums are meant for sharing ideas, not for searching.

New RV systems, RV models, new RV parks, new ways to do things, etc. are what people are interested in, not old stuff.

It really turns me off when a new poster asks a question and is immediately told to search for it. What a welcome he has received!!

Like others stated, if you don't want to contribute or read then don't, but don't admonish the poster or those that choose to answer. The purpose of these forums are for questions and answers.
I agree with this... sometimes though I will be helpful and do a search for them, and actually copy and paste links to the posts that are honestly helpful to their questions.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #45
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

And cut out 75% of the threads here?

I agree!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
My first response to a repetitive question is quite negative untill I remember doing it myself when I first joined.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #47
Winnebago Owners Club
Wink "Meta" Topic

So I typed in "repetitive questions" into the search box of Irv2 and came up with 3 pages of results. In other words, if the original poster had done a search, he would have had no reason to post. In the words of daughter, "That is so meta!"

On the other hand, I have never responded to a post on repeated questions before. So while this topic is repetitious and redundant to some, it is new and exciting to me!

It is all in your perspective.
Don Simmons
2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V Pushed by a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva
Visit us at Travels With Linda
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would love to just hit search but when I do it just kicks me out with no response. I for one do not mind helping anyone over and over again
Pete and Patti Davis and 4 chihuahua
2013 thor palazzo 36.1
pete davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #49
I am in the camp of keep asking the same old same old if you want to ...... This is what keeps me coming back almost daily. We're trying to help each other and build a connection to the irv2 family.

Having said that and for the sake of discussion..... I just did a search using the search function here for " propane leak " . I'm actually working on a propane leak. Didn't like the results.

I did a google search with "site:irv2.com propane leak". Much more helpful IMO.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #50
Jayco Owners Club
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
One of the things I like to do is research and read past threads on this and other forums, and articles. That said, not everyone knows how to do research or has the patience to wade through a few to a lot of posts within any thread on any one subject. Some people just need to interact, even face to face.

If you don't want to answer somebody's question, don't, just modify your behavior by passing it by and your frustrations will disappear.

Trying to train or control others, especially those you don't know, is a waste of time.

If moderators over moderate these threads, posters are gonna start going elsewhere, worrying about second guessing themselves every time they want to ask a question.
Moderators, on the other hand, should lead, link, and edit as they see fit as that is their responsibility and challenge. So thanks to the moderators without reserve.

And...This is a fast changing environment. For example, the Ford F-53 gas super duty class A chassis that came out in 2009/2010 is a game changer that makes a lot of older gas vs diesel discussions misleading and outdated. Not saying gas = diesel, but the suspension gap has narrowed significantly.

Best behavior, in my opinion, is to skip over questions you don't want to answer, that irritate your, or you feel are covered elsewhere. Eventually, members pick up on the treasure trove of information within and do their own sorting out.
I agree with Roger and second Ray,IN
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #51
Sounds like a serious case of "cranial anal inversion". There is help. Also remember, "Americans Are Stupid". Take your college degrees and ego off the wall and see if you can relate to average people. Remember, if you're not having fun - the joke is on you.
Follow us at: http://joelandesta.blogspot.com/
2006 HR Endeavor 40'...2002 Corvette
2011 Forest River 20' Cargo Trailer
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #52
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
So I typed in "repetitive questions" into the search box of Irv2 and came up with 3 pages of results. In other words, if the original poster had done a search, he would have had no reason to post.
Well in answer to that statemet...

1) my question is not exactly the same as those posted previously.
2) I didn't want to sift through all the prior threads for an answer.
3) I'm looking for new insight from new people to an old question.
4) I don't mind answering repetitive questions. It makes me feel good.
5) I don't mind answering repetitive questions...
6) I am a COB (whatever that is), grumpy, and have a cranial anal inversion (which I hope isn't catchy)...
7) I can't count past seven, so I'll stop here...
Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2006 Monaco Knight 38 PDQ
Ready Brute Elite-2008 Hummer H3
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #53
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I know I am going to sound like a grumpy old man (who's not that old!)with nothing better to do than complain, but I think this is a real issue in here. I've been on this site daily for about 2 years. In that time I've seen the same questions asked over and over and over... After market warranties, the best toad to pull, gas vs. diesel, where to get a loan, Pink stuff vs. air, cover no cover, and so on... You get the idea.

I know this is a free country where the same people can answer the same questions over and over as many times as they want. I've even seen responses that look cut and pasted from a prior thread where they answered the exact same question by somebody else at some earlier time. I know I can also ignore the post, but thought I would say something to see if others feel the same way I do. I could be all wet on this, which I'm sure I WILL be told by some... Regardless, I'll throw this out there to see what the feedback is... After all, this is what a forum is for, right?

For these particlular topics, I would like to suggest that the moderators politely direct the poster to the search function first and then ask if still unanswered. I know there are some forums that actually have you agree to this when you initially sign up. Some do what I am suggesting to cut the clutter on their site. I don't blame the individuals asking (I was one), as they are probably unaware that their question has been beat to death in here for as long as IRV2 has been on the internet.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this site because of the great people that contribute. I've personally learned A LOT! Truth be told, I spend more time here than most other places when on the computer/Ipad and am just making a suggestion..

Did you do a search to see if any others have posted this concern?
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #54
Monaco Owners Club
I can see both sides of the issue.

If you are stuck on the side of the road and are looking for help you don't have time to search.

On the other hand some of the posts are very redundant and/or simple.

For myself, I read posts to learn. If I see something that catches my eye I will go through the threads. If there are links to other sites or links to files that are worthwhile I will go there. I have an extensive file of almost every aspect of my RV.

I also try to help people. If someone has posted a question and truly need info I will take the time to provide, probably in too much detail.

That being said I had a problem with my EMS that I found yesterday. I spent all morning chasing the problem and finally posted to see if I could get some help. As of earlier I only had 3 hits while this post has over 50. My post was pretty technical so I guess that limited the responses.

Seems somewhat bazaar that people will take time on this one but not help on a fairly key aspect of my coach.

Sa La Vi.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #55
Now that we've got the OP's questions solved and speaking of repetition.....is anyone else but me tired of seeing the little red guy?

Sometimes folks use it 4 or 5 in a row. I can't even read those posts with that thing bouncing around.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #56
I don't have a problem with it except 2 topics, Walmart campground and has anyone had problems with CW'S service department.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote