Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #57
Just reply with a link to an existing thread on the topic and move on. I love the site and occasionally get involved in repeat threads because, as an RVer, I'm programmed to help!

Spinner & Gang
2000 MADP ISC350 2003 Jeep Liberty toad
"Working towards the next vacation!"
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #58
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Now that we've got the OP's questions solved and speaking of repetition.....is anyone else but me tired of seeing the little red guy?

Sometimes folks use it 4 or 5 in a row. I can't even read those posts with that thing bouncing around.

Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2006 Monaco Knight 38 PDQ
Ready Brute Elite-2008 Hummer H3
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #59
Tiffin Owners Club
The only problem with doing a search is many of the posts are so old the info can be dated causing misinformation. I google both a search engine and then here unless I have a question that applies to current info. Although I agree, a little note at the top or in the post box might deter a few.

I've been on the net for 15 years and sometimes I just am not up to typing. So if I see someone else with a good answer, I don't feel pressured to answer. You don't have to, of course!

I can say my biggest gripe over the years are people who don't have a clue to contribute back! The ones that think this is all here just for them! lolol Newbies I can forgive.
Dances with wolves
Linda and Bob.
2015 Allegro33aa.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #60
Maybe there should be rule that one reads every post in a thread prior to posting their own reply. (I didn't do that either.)

As a former owner of a website which was successful enough to sell for a chunk of $ down on our first RV, the same questions will be asked over & over & over. Yes, it gets old seeing the same questions and giving the same answers but that's the LIFE of a forum. No posts, no replies, no reason to visit. The same questions are better than no questions because everything anyone needs to know can be found by searching.

Being told to use the search function is a real turn off for most, especially if one is a newbie. If members of this forum or any forum wants it to grow and continue to be successful, then giving the same informative answers to the same boring questions is a must even is it is to give the link to the answer that was posted 3 years ago to the same question in a friendly polite manner.

What questions can be asked that haven't already been asked on a forum this size and one this active? What sort of posts should be made?
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
I simply don't understand why anyone should censor themselves and limit what they want to ask about just because someone else will have to pass it by while reading the new listings.

I think repeatedly rehashing "classic topics" has many advantages.

1- It keeps the topic current, including new technologies, products, items on sale, etc.

2- it allows newer members to participate in general knowledge topics that they've already read about, may have personally experienced, and can now join in discussing.

3- it makes the newbie that is asking the question a participant in the discussion and not just reading about someone else's similar situation a few years ago.

In short I strongly feel that we should be encouraging participation in discussions, not telling people to just "look it up yourself." Anyone who disagrees can easily pass up topics they've seen before, just as I will do when I see this subject come up again.
Joseph and Sandy
Arizona Sunbirds

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #62
Tiffin Owners Club
+++2 Raining Star
Without Newbies the forum would die. Most people figure it all out eventually and do contribute back. And current is the key.

And I do a lot of reading, and even though much of it is a repeat, it never ceases to amaze the amount I pick up on from each post. Always something new to add to the memory bank!
Dances with wolves
Linda and Bob.
2015 Allegro33aa.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #63
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Every time I read an old thread it's new to me again.

That's the fun with getting older. LOL
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #64
Evergreen Owners Club
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Every time I read an old thread it's new to me again.

That's the fun with getting older. LOL
Keith & Drena with Casey & P-nut (dogs) & Gabby (cat)
2014 Silverado 3500HD Dually 4X4
2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 365rl
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #65
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm a newbie and have gathered tons of info here. Both general and semi emergency (to me)). Learned how to check trans fluid level from older post. Also codes. Saw a newer post that explained I had prognastics on my Allison so the code 95 on second read was not a error code but trans fluid life measure. It meant 95% left. Instead of error code. So I agree with all of you. It is my style. I read the extended warranty threads for fun! All about risk,winners and losers. Always the same debate, over and over, the words just change. I search first, then follow with a post to make sure it is current. My coach has spent 5 of the last 6 weeks at CW and Cummins dealer. At the end of the day this is a fabulous place for advice and information. The same respect goes to the one that answered the question 5 years or 5 minutes ago. Everybody please stay the course. The older info is valued and respected. The newer can in some cases be more accurate as it is time tested. Thanks again and wish me luck at getting her back this weekend! JD
Jeff & Steph
2010 Discovery 40x Spartan Cummins ISB
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #66

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmm I've never did a search because I never saw the search knob or what ever it is. What I was doing on the forums was searching for answers..
I'll still ask questions. I have seen a lot of the same questions but it don't bother me either.
What else do I have to do when its below ZERO for 5 months Oyea Quartzite
Happy Holidays, everyone
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #67
Did the OP do a search before posting ;-)

Im sure I have seen this before.

Thanks to all for a great and friendly place to find info and ask questions.
2013 Winnebago 35G, CHF, UltraTrac 2, 5 Star Tune.
2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited Toad
Rvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:21 AM   #68
Fleetwood Owners Club
While we're at it, how about those that tell old jokes! Don't get me started!

(Young guy practicing on being grumpy)
Tim & Mary Discovery 40X. Chevy Tahoe. RVM32
"I've been lost now, days uncounted..."GFR"
huntnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:15 AM   #69
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't so much care about repeated questions, sometimes the search doesn't really help. What bothers me is titles that just say Help, or something that has nothing to do with the question. State something in the title that gives an idea of what it is. Sure, it might be in the right category but since I have a Class C, I usually don't look at things in TT or other categories. OK, done ragging, love the site.
Rick and Mimi
1989 Class C Fleetwood Tioga, 26 ft on an E350 Frame
Toad: 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:56 AM   #70
It is a problem, but a problem that is at best, very difficult to control unless the moderators become very proactive and ultra organized. I'm not chastising the mods, simply saying that its a difficult and complex problem..

1) Edit topics that simply say HELP to include a few keywords from the OPs issue

2) On extremely redundant topics, rather than answering the OP, do a quick search for them and paste links to threads that have already covered their issue. Explain quickly how to utilize the search function- i.e. Teach them to fish rather than feed them once.

3) Obvious erroneous responses should be removed OR marked as erroneous in red

4) Quash thread hijacking and social posts mixed within a healthy thread. This is perhaps the most annoying to new users and occasional users. Threads become littered with irrelevant banter and useless drivel causing it to span many many pages before running across relevant reading back on point.

5) Prevent the residential refrigerator nazis from clobbering questions from those whom are having problems with their absorption refrigerators. I cringe everytime a poster begins a thread about a norcold/dometic refrig question knowing that they are going to be inundated with people whom rather than help them, simply tell them to throw it away and get a residential refrigerator because it's going to blow up and change the space/time continuum, distort reality and cause parallel universes to collide - an absolute waste of forum resources and internet bandwidth.

Just my $0.02 cents worth. I love the forum and will continue to post as always :-)

94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote