Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the reason it happens sometime we get new members and they can't figure out how to search a topic. At times it does get aggravating but I tend to just look past it.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Searching is not easy. Just for a test, I went to search, then advanced search and typed in "how to search" (without the quotes) in the key words box. It returned a whole page of hits, and the only one dealing with searching was this thread. It noted that the words how and to were omitted as they were too common. Sure, if I type in TPMS, I will get a lot of specific hits, but sometimes, as with my question, it totally fails, simply because I may not know how to search. So my question is this: where in this forum are there instructions or hints as to how to search? I suppose I could ask Siri on my iPhone as she is better able to make sense of complete thoughts.

Different search engines have different rules as to how to search for a specific string of words, how do we know how this forum's search engine works? Without that information, searching can be futile and frustrating.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
I dont mind so much the number of similar questions that are posted. Yes the OP could do a search and probably find the answer. It would or could take days of reviewing threads to find the one that applies the the question. It would take a very sofisticated search engine to seach based on the title of the thread and the way the question is asked. So ask your question.

I have a question about some of the responders in the threads that ask about TV capacity.

Why do many of the responders suggest to the OP that it is alright to be over the GVWR, GCWR, and GAWR? Why would they encourage anyone to exceed the limits of the vehicle. Using the saw that "I have been doing it successfully for years" is not a valid reason.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #74

Don't mind repetitive posts but get tired of the yea me to and x2 posts, not contributing anything just want more little campfires and the back and forth that should be PMs seems like twitter or something.
beengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
It is a problem, but a problem that is at best, very difficult to control unless the moderators become very proactive and ultra organized. I'm not chastising the mods, simply saying that its a difficult and complex problem..

1) Edit topics that simply say HELP to include a few keywords from the OPs issue

2) On extremely redundant topics, rather than answering the OP, do a quick search for them and paste links to threads that have already covered their issue. Explain quickly how to utilize the search function- i.e. Teach them to fish rather than feed them once.

Just my $0.02 cents worth. I love the forum and will continue to post as always :-)
Finally... it only took 70 responses to actually get somebody that understands... We are defintiely in the minority! I'm not suggesting that moderators need to delete a post because it's redundant, or get nasty and discourage a newb from asking, but do what this guy is suggesting in #2... BTW, I love the fish analogy. I use it all the time! That doesn't mean you guys that love to tell the same story over and over and over can't! You can! We as a group need to show people how to use the site. There is not enough of that and there is a ton of information stored in here. Sorry... I know I'll get even more flack, but what the heck...I don't agree that the search feature doesn't work. It does, if you know how to fill in the blank.

Also, if you are going to reply to a thread... Don't you think you should read through it first?! Why ask 7 times if I did a search myself to see if this question was already asked? Especially since I posted an answer 10 posts earlier. People need to do more listening/reading and be less concerned to get out only what they want to say. Just my 2 cents and as a previous psoter said... worth every penny!

BTW... Love this little guy!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #76

Time to pay the moderators and have a membership fee = highly active moderators and a lot less members to train up.

Also, don't allow newbies to post questions until they have done the research and paid the research fee per issue, after all, the information is valuable...that will fun the fewer moderators that will be needed.

I like this we as a group thing gonna train-em up suggestion vs the non-compliant independents, like me, may have to throw us out as untrainable and don't get the message.

By the way, yes people need to read, and we therefore need to train people on how to write. Penalty fees for failure to write well or answer well.

Actually, don't let the guys post anything until they get the ok from their wives, would fix it all in one go.

Mucho fun...rain games. Just my $2,000 dollars worth.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
People need to do more listening/reading and be less concerned to get out only what they want to say. :

I moderate a hobby related list server for more than 20 years. I've found that for many people their online community is the only social activity they have, and even just getting to add a X2 can give someone a sense of belonging. Since it takes me a split second to move passed an uninteresting post I don't find them an inconvenience.

I can understand telling people about the advantages of using the search feature, but I am very uncomfortable when someone is told they shouldn't freely post all the on topic messages they want.

You can add all the reasons for wanting them to post only what you personally want to read, but no matter how nicely or logically you word it, telling someone not to post what they want to is the virtual equivalent of telling them to shut up. To the person on the receiving end its seldom a pleasant experience.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #78

Thor Owners Club
I think part of posing a question allows the poster to feel like he is part of the common community. Its also a way of feeling comfortable with other posters. If questions by new posters are deleted and the poster is told to check out the search engine for an answer this forum would soon be out of business.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #79

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you everyone for all of your responses. This is the BEST RVing site I've been on, with very caring people that like to share experiences and their knowledge. Hopefully I did not offend anyone (or too many) with my logic or dry humor... If I did, then I apologize. I only have the best interest of this site and members in mind, as I love posting here as well...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Hopefully I did not offend anyone (or too many) with my logic or dry humor...

If anyone took offense at your expressing your thoughts and feelings honestly then the fault is in their camp, not yours. People can hold differing opinions without being offended, that's the function of any discussion group.

Every once in a while an attitude or opinion will be changed by the disagreement, but for the most part it's just healthy for us all to voice our opinions. Right or wrong isn't determined by the number of people who agree with you, but simply by being able to communicate freely and honestly.

Your thoughts sparked a lot of discussion, thus it was something people felt strongly about and wanted to chime in over. That alone makes it a successful topic for discussion.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #81

Whats better diesel or gas?
Old 12-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I think part of posing a question allows the poster to feel like he is part of the common community. Its also a way of feeling comfortable with other posters. If questions by new posters are deleted and the poster is told to check out the search engine for an answer this forum would soon be out of business.
BINGO!!

Six months ago we bought our DP and I began on a forum for DPs (seemingly exclusively). I asked about something coach-related and was reprimanded that this was a DIESEL ENGINE forum.... Ah, so that's why the forum got less than 20 posts per day. Thanks to them, I found iRV2

I have 15,000 posts on other forums and don't mind at all if a question gets asked about often-cited situations. It's often easier to either respond or ignore than to do a Search in order to post a link to a similar question.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:30 PM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am quite happy the way this forum is run. I was active on another automotive forum while swapping the engine on my CJ7. That particular thread is now 217 pages long. I had 74 posts in that one thread alone. Those folks could be downright nasty and even vulgar if you ask a question that someone even thinks was answered 50 pages back, so you are constantly being reminded in no uncertain terms to search before posting. Not friendly at all and no way to run a forum in my opinion.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #84
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
OK, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth, and you can keep the 2 cents!

I will admit that I rarely use the search feature. I don't mind anyone asking a question that's been asked 500 times before! That's what keeps this forum so active! I believe anyone, especially newbies, should feel free to ask anything they want without being scolded for doing so! If it annoys you, just skip over their post, but for gosh sakes, don't cut them down and make them feel foolish!

I was very active on another RV forum before I found IRV2. A lot of the members, and even some of the Moderators, seemed to delight in putting someone down for asking a "stupid" question. It made my blood boil every time I saw it happen! That almost NEVER happens here and I'm so glad I found this site!

OK, I'll get off the soap box. Your turn now!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote