Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #1

How big is your house battery bank?

We are transitioning from our bluewater sailboat to a Southwind MH. The sailboat, in which we cruised the Sea of Cortez, had two 8D batteries in the house bank. The MH has two group 31's. It doesn't seem like you could run your lights for even a night, much less the computer or small TV. Do you run the genset all the time or do you have larger battery banks? Are there tradeoffs other than weight and maintenance?
Bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I had 3 group 31 12v and changed to 4 T105 6v and 4 100 watt 12v solar pannels . Dry camp a lot and run tv, lapp top and any lights we want at night. Batteries never drop below 75% over night then recharge next day.... hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Two group 31 Trojan SCS225s and one Exide Group 27. Can go for several days on the batteries, but the older RVs didn't have near the amount of phantom loads the new ones do.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have 2 US2200's (that's all we have room for) and that seems to be close to adequate for our use of lights; toaster; coffee and the Microwave. Last trip we run the generator twice to charge the batteries when we weren't doing much day driving.
Having said that we are on the highway most of the day and that keeps the charge up. Also to be noted our lighting is from LED lights. We don't have a TV

225 AMP HOUR @ 20 HOUR RATE, MINUTES @ 25 AMPS 447, MINUTES @ 75 AMPS 115, and 63 lb. each

Cheers
Willey

WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #5

For Me
4 220 Amp Hr AGM's with propane Fridge, If you are running all electric you need 8!!!

The Fridge is the biggest draw!!

Rick
Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #6

4 - 8D Lifeline AGM 255 AH batteries. All electric with household fridge. Need every bit and could use some solar to supplement our usage but the generator takes up the slack.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

440 AH provided by 4 Group 31 AGMs. About enough for one night, but our coach is a power hog. Used to do fine for a couple nights on 300 AH with a previous coach.

Lights are a small load, but if you start running an inverter to power tvs, stereo, microwave, coffee pot, etc. you will want a LOT more AH than your two G31's can even begin to provide.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
440 AH provided by 4 Group 31 AGMs. About enough for one night, but our coach is a power hog. Used to do fine for a couple nights on 300 AH with a previous coach.

Lights are a small load, but if you start running an inverter to power tvs, stereo, microwave, coffee pot, etc. you will want a LOT more AH than your two G31's can even begin to provide.
"440 AH provided by 4 Group 31 AGMs."
Wow! you fellows are homesteading, we're just camping

have to agree about the lights but with just a battery of two deep cells well every amp counts.
One morning might go like this 4 min. micro wave (hot cereal) toaster 2 slices; and two runs of a 4 cup coffee maker then it's on the road for the rest of the day charging batteries (propane cooking after that)
If we use the furnace during the night the above will not happen unless we use the generator.
Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
I just go out and pull the cord a couple times and bring the little 1200 watt champion to life if I need the toaster/microwave. Also gives me time to add some charge back into the batteries from the night before.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My rig came with a pair of Interstate U-2200's that's about the equivlent of your pair of G-31's capacity wise but ... Well not enough info to comment farther.

That runs the furnace, lights, small Deep Freeze (Engel 47 as I recall) over night no problem

For the inverter I have a 3rd battery bank (Chassis is the one I"m not listing) that's two G-31's and a couple of G-27's and some other smaller ones, around 450 amp hours. It needs help from the Interstates on occasion.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My set up is just about right for me. Longest Boondock period was 3 months. Solar mostly. Use propane for HW, Refrig and Wave 6 heat.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote