Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #1

How cold is too cold in a Class C MH?

We are thinking about going up to Branson Missouri next week(week of New Years)...Looks like some of the coldest nights are in the teens, some snow - not while traveling however. So my question is if that is too cold to be in a Motorhome for 4-6 days? Thoughts? Comments? Head to Florida instead?

Thanks in advance.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #2

Mickey, I have a C and done Kansas when it was in the teens. Kept slide in and ran furnace. Does use LP tho. NO problem with cold. Had drop light in water bay. We were alanning a Branson trip and changed to SW tip of TX. By the way I was in Sour Lake today. Went to look at a toad.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #3

Make sure your generator runs ok just in case !!! And yes,, if you have slides, keep them in if expecting bad weather.... We watched people with 5th wheels trying to break the ice off to get the slides in during a freak ice storm just west of OK City last year... Power went out for 9000 people in the area... Our little genny fired up and kept us warm...
PS,,, this time of year keep your propane tank full for heat !!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #4

I have a C, we have used it down to 6 degrees and we were warm as toast in the rig. My lower compartments are also heated by the furnace. If your furnace is working properly I would think you will be just fine. I am going to be out startind Wed. through Sun. I am located on the other side of the state. Course the weather is different from one side to the other. Give it a try.
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch460 View Post
Mickey, I have a C and done Kansas when it was in the teens. Kept slide in and ran furnace. Does use LP tho. NO problem with cold. Had drop light in water bay. We were alanning a Branson trip and changed to SW tip of TX. By the way I was in Sour Lake today. Went to look at a toad.
Good point about the slides if ice / snow. I was more worried about keeping water from freezing...we plan to carry a little just for traveling around - wasn't sure if that would freeze or not even if the inside was well heated.

Big city of Sour Lake - yeap they do have car dealerships...we live outside between SL and Beaumont...but have lived in both places.

Thanks to for the tips
Old 12-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #6

Thanks for the info - was planning to leave next Monday to avoid rain/snow on Tuesday - will keep an eye on the weather as the long term forecasts are not that accurate this far out.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #7

We vacationed in Seattle last month. Furnace died in the middle of the night brrrrr.
We woke up and had nearly an inch of ice covering the rv. We had to call our son to bring a torch and melt the ice so we could open the door. We survived, but will wait till summer to visit again. Next time, have backup heat, park with door facing South.
coffebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
We travel with a little electric heater for backup too, but our unit is 'vintage' aged.... and if you are too worried about the water... go waterless, carry jugs of water inside and take basin baths or use the campground showers. Put a little pink stuff in the gray and black water tanks to help keep them from freezing...
Old 12-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We had a 1997 Class C and camped in temps in the teens but it was cold. We did use furnace but had to be frugal since we were boondocking, had to run generator enough to keep batteries charged. While we ran generator we used small electric heaters to save on propane. The basement compartment was heated via the furnace. We did have pass through storage in the basement storage which helped insulate the coach. No slides so that wasn't an issue.

Does your Class C have heater in wet bay or heat strips on water tanks?? Check to make sure your furnace will heat the basement.

I also have a temperature monitoring system with the sending unit in the basement wet bay to make sure it doesn't get cold.

As a backup you can also buy a thermostat plug which kick in at ~38F, these can be bought at Lowes, and use a couple of heat lamps in the basement, this should keep everything from freezing. Plug the extension cord into another outlet other then your coach and this will provide some protection if the power kicks on your rig.

We currently own a Class A Monaco Windsor that has dual pane windows and better insulation, we were camped in temps in the 20's a couple weeks ago and didn't even run heat at night, coach stayed 55-60F which is great sleeping weather
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #10

Heading out tomorrow. So far no really horrible days....A couple of cold nights but no in-climate weather on those nights. I am not too worried about the water on the coach as that tank is under the bed and should get radiant heat from coach. Grey and Black? May go carry some pink stuff for BLACK - wasn't planning on holding any grey water if at all possible to take that out of play. Bought some insulation for the hose to hope that won't freeze. Thoughts? Any other ideas around that?
Old 12-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #11

You can get a heat wire to put around your hose that plugs in to 110 .
bob roubos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #12

Two things that really help are vent pillows and an insulating curtain between the cab and house when parked. Have a good time!
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob roubos View Post
You can get a heat wire to put around your hose that plugs in to 110 .
Never have seen these before...May look around when we get up there. Sounds like a good idea.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Two things that really help are vent pillows and an insulating curtain between the cab and house when parked. Have a good time!
I actually have both - use them a lot in the summer time to control outside heat. Was planning to use them both.

Tags
class c