Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Would never expect a search- I have stopped at several border state inspections and answered questions but no physical inspections. I would think a warrant may be necessary to ransack the inside.
Me thinks you think wrong.
In 1975 a friend had his then new Chey Blazer pretty much completely dissembled and searched by the U.S. border patrol when returning to Michigan from Canada.
They removed the seats, carpet, dashboard, gas tank, etc... and the tires. (including the spare tire), from the rims.
He and his girl friend sat in a small room for over 6 hours watching the search through a window.
Nothing was found.... and to his surprise the car was re-assembled looking like it had never been touched... (in fact a squeak in the dash, which his Chevy dealer could not find, was fixed).
Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Wow! Sorry I asked! Now I am REALLY paranoid!!!
If you are a law abiding citizen, all your proper paper work in place, nothing to hide(They can see it in your eye's) you should not have to much trouble, unless your Coach looks like this.........

Also, not built from the best of materials.........

Old 12-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What if you have a legally-owned gun in your RV and you are going from the lower 48 through Canada to Alaska and vice-versa?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Old 12-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
What if you have a legally-owned gun in your RV and you are going from the lower 48 through Canada to Alaska and vice-versa?
There are several threads on this one but generally you cannot take a hand gun into or through Canada. Rifles and shotguns yes BUT you have to do paperwork and I think pay a fee.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
There are several threads on this one but generally you cannot take a hand gun into or through Canada. Rifles and shotguns yes BUT you have to do paperwork and I think pay a fee.
Thanks! Think I'll avoid Canada. Already been to Alaska, but I flew there.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Old 12-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #34
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
We traveled to Canada twice in the last four years. Both times the border police inspected the whole coach. The first time leaving Minnesota and the second time leaving Maine. Full inspections. Took about thirty minutes each time. We had to stand outside of the coach while the officer looked into all the corners of the coach. Not nice.
Coming back into the US was a breeze. Passports, "where are coming from and where are you going", Have a nice day.
Real comfortable to be back in the USA, Do not plan to go to Canada again.
Regards,
JimB
In the dozens of times I've gone into the States and back into Canada, I have never had an RV searched. Ever!

Not sure why some are interrogated and searched and others not. Could be the check points you're crossing. More illegal activity.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #35

In a previous life, I lived in Canada about an hour north of the border. I crossed into the US most weekends during the summer months, often enough that I was usually recognized and not questioned in any detail.

Having said that, over the years I was sometimes pulled into the secondary search area for a thorough search of my person and vehicle. Once on the Canadian side, a drug sniffing dog was jumping back and forth from the front to the back seat of my 1 year old Lincoln Town Car. Another time, on the US side of the border, my spare tire (same car) was removed from the trunk, driven to the nearest town, and popped off the rim at the local garage.

Coincidentally, most of these detailed searches were initiated by overweight women with short hair and attitudes. And you'd better smile a lot and say "yes ma'am, no ma'am, because they could turn you around and have you heading back home again, in a heartbeat, without cause.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Think I'll avoid Canada. Already been to Alaska, but I flew there.
ArmandV
Did you take your legally-owned gun??
Old 12-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #37
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I have to say, the Canadian Customs officers are WAY more cordial the US ones. They make you feel guilty and suspect even if you're not.
At US Customs in an airport it's even worse. Although, I guess when it's your country that's always being attacked by terrorists, I guess I'd be more suspect as well. I'm glad they are thorough with my safety in mind.

We just don't see a lot of that in Canada.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
There is no "standard rule" for either the Canadian or American Border agents as to what they may want to ask or do. They are allowed to enter, inspect, tear apart and ask about anything when you are entering their country.

I have had one border agent inside my coach once and one agriculture inspection agent inside my coach once. I also had one border agent look inside my cargo trailer once.

I even had my entire coach and trailer X-ray'd at a Canadian border crossing one day.

If you always are truthful when answering their questions and have nothing to hide then chances are it is just a slight inconvenience for whatever they need to do to keep us safe.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Having traveled internationally to many countries all over the world, it is just part of travel. If you are anxious about Canadian, Mexican, or US Customs officials, wait till you are challenged by one in another country that has no clue about speaking English, and is using his AK 47 as a pointer. Industrialized countries are one thing, smaller less affluent countries can be much worse.

Most are pleasant enough, and very professional. Patience, respectful, friendly,attitude on your part is the best approach. They have a job to do, if you want to play hardball with them, they can make your life miserable.

As another poster said, in our world today of drug dealers, and terrorist, I want them to do a thorough job. I am thankful for their service, and pray for their safety and security. We need them.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Actually you can take a handgun into Canada, it just has to have a 6" or longer barrel. Oh and a $50 Canadian fee (its all about the money)!

Went into Canada and onto AK in 2014 and took 2 rifles ($25 Canadian fee)! Had the paperwork but the border personnel never looked at the firearms, they were more interested in if the fees had been paid! No searches either! I guess I just look too honest!

If you decide to go and take a firearm or several, by all means call the RCMP a long time prior to your trip to get the forms or you can download the forms & print but it is legal size form (11X17).

Burfurd
Old 12-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #41

Crossing this year at Portal (MN) into Canada, the guard asked the usual and expected questions about fire arms, booze, etc. he asked if I had any raw eggs, to which I replied yes. He asked how many (maybe they have some leeway). I had just provisioned, so I told him I had 22 raw eggs. He asked me to park the rig and bring the eggs inside to surrender them and fill out some paperwork...which I did. He was very personable, as was I. We joked a bit, and I went on my way.

Coming back into the US at Sumas (WA), I was prepared. No raw eggs! A few days before, while stating at a little campground in Salmon Arm, we asked a Canadian Couple about what they experienced when going into the US. They get the same questions that we do, and no hassles. They also told me about not bringing tomatoes across the border.

So, while waiting in line, I was pounding down what remained of my road snack of choice, cherry tomatoes. At the same time I asked DW to write a list of what was in the fridge. I was welcomed back to the US by the guard. She asked the usual questions. When she asked what I had in the fridge, my wife handed me the list. I started reading the list and the guard started to chuckle. She welcomed us back to the US again and said we could move along.

Given the amount of traffic at these border crossings, thing would come to a halt if the professionals were not trained to look for "tells" in those seeking to cross. Yeah, someone (guard or driver) is going to have a cranky day and the "signals" will get crossed. That is just life.

We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect (the geography, history, culture in general, the people that we met, and the food) of our Canadian trip. We will return again and again.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
3 years ago going into Canada, forgot I had a shotgun, I declared it, but it was about an hour delay, 2 men went thru everything, I signed off some papers for them to hold the gun.

On returning I walked into their office, they walked the gun to my rig it was 5 minutes.

Then going on the US side the fridge was searched and quick look round, cost us two limes....

Not a big deal

Closed Thread