Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #15

We live in Oregon and every two years do an around the US trip - we have kids in CA, FL and ME and other relatives in TX, WA as well as friends in AZ, NM, TX, MO, DE. We have a large US map (about 3' X 4') and use "magic" markers on the map to show where we need to be in order to visit the family. We then step back and make a guess as to what we want to see or the route we want to take trying to use different routes each trip. I realize this does not answer questions about key spots, best camp grounds, etc. This type of planning does work for us and we can then give the distant family a reasonable estimate of when we'll visit them.

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #16
We just started fulltiming this June.

We have a book called "1,000 places to visit before you die". This book has been interesting and worth the money.

We are members with Passport America and our membership paid for itself within the first 2 weeks on the road. They also have a trip planner.

Upon leaving TX in June, we headed towards East Coast. Our goal was to stay in ME and MA for the summer and early Fall. Along the way, we had no specifics just wanted to enjoy the journey. We had to stop just outside of Charolette, NC due to bad weather. This was a great stop. We fell in love with Charolette and all the history. This was not a planned stop but added a special place to our journey. Can't recall the campground but was $20 with Passport America with full hookups.

Traveled through WV and traveled over New River Gorge a beautiful area. Then to Lily Dale, NY. Then to Gettysburg, PA. Spent 8 days at Artillery Campground and used Passport America. Then headed to ME. Stayed at Bar Harbor campground. Visited Acadia National Park. A must is to see the sunrise from Acadia mountain the first place in the US where the sunrise can be seen as the sun rises. You drive to the mountain. This is definitely our favorite part of our journey thus far. We then went to Cape Cod. Visited Plymouth, Salem and Ptown. Left MA, then to West Point, NY. Toured West Point military academy. Left NY to Quakertown, PA. Then to VABeach via the Chesepeake Bay bridge. A very interesting drive across this 27 mile bridge with 2 underwater tunnels. Then to Camp Lejeune, NC to Charleston, SC. Headed to FL for winter. Stayed in Mayport, FL. Now, Alva, FL volunteering with the US Army Corps of Engineers until May. Leave here to go to CA.

We are retired military and we stay at military campgrounds when we can.

You might consider getting an America the Beautiful pass.

We have had an amazing six month journey of which we did not have a plan written in stone.

Julie, Bis and Idgie:
2012 Coachman Freelander
Toad 2012 Kia Soul
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #17
Originally Posted by doc View Post
We are not anal enough to have reservations. We decide what area of the country we like and just start driving. Generally it is west because that is where our best adventures have occurred. As you pass state lines, pick up brochures for various locations in the state. Ask the attendants at these welcome stations about what they like. As we stop for the night (when we get ready for a rest, we check a CG directory and see what is in the area we are passing through. Have not failed to find anything yet: some better than others however. Ask CG operators what people staying with them are traveling to see. There a tons of hints in the various state visitors magazines. If you find a place you like, then stay for a few days and check the area out. Years ago we found Silvergate, Wyoming and Granby, Colorado doing this.
I couldn't say it better than Doc. Just add Oatman Az to neat stop we found talking to campers in Kingman

ChallengerRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up Great link. Thanks!!!

If I wanted to go to a campground, 1-2 day ahead I would see how much I want to drive in that time frame and then pick a town or area where we want to stay then look at Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews to look at the resorts/campground and make a reservation 1-2 days out, worked really good for us.
Dear - Palehorse89

Never new of the above link Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews you provided on page 1. Very cool.I have been looking at the reviews for campgrounds we have stayed at and they are spot on. Very user friendly site also. I have shared it with our friends as well and we are already planning our bucket list for 2014.

Thanks again.

2003 Winnebago WFG33V Adventurer - 8.1 Gas, Workhorse Chassis - Medium Titanium Metalic

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #19
Take "scenic route' advice. I have been to almost all those places, and can vouch for them. Amazing sites. Don't miss them. And do NOT be in a hurry. Do not make the trip a "chore", make it FUN...
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
STREETS AND TRIPS. It is a great program that will allow you to sit at your desk and experiment with the route you want to take. My last 2 month long trip had 5 different possibilities that we had worked on for nearly 3 months as we visited online sites looking for info about where we might want to stop. Then after all that when we finally get on the road we are still able to change it as we travel.
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #21
A few years ago we took a four month tour of the US. We started in Colorado, headed north, then east, then south and finally west. We wanted to see the Fall colors, revolutionary war sites, cival war sites and so forth. We only had a few "for sure" places to see and things to do. What we found was that at every stop there was something wonderful to experience. If we had planned this trip we would have missed some awesome things. We plan to do the "fly over" states this year and should end up having been in all 49 states on motorhome trips. We had to fly to Hawaii.

Enjoy this great country.
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #22
You have gotten a lot of good information and I hope you can absorb it all.
I do have a couple of things I would like to add based on my own experience.

Get and learn to use one of the navigator packages. Strips and Treets is a good start and if you find you need more, Street Alas can do a little more. Get both with the GPS. Get what it takes to run a laptop from the coach power. Use this for planning. Start working it as soon as you get it. There is a huge vertical learning curve. When you can go to MAP OVERLAYS and collect the overlays for much of what you need to know where is.

Both of the named navigators will tell you where a 200 mile day will end, but I will tell you that in much of this country, 200 miles will get you nowhere. I have been on roads that 200 miles might be the next gas station. There are other places where 200 miles is just not going to happen. Like the Blue Ridge Parkway. The joke there is the 45MPH speed limit - Good Luck.

There is a lot of this country to see. It is my opinion that a motorhome is the best way to see it. Enjoy the journey.

A lifelong waterman and his bride going dry places for as long as the fuel money lasts.
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
We just know where we want to end up, never really plan on where to stop along the way.
The apps we use have mostly to do with finding diesel/gas prices along the way. I don't bother with any review sites. When we know we are ready to stop I just go to the cell phone and to Google Maps, which came free with the phone, and in the search bar I type in "rv campground resort" or some variation of that and it brings up quite a few places including the mom and pop places that usually don't show up in the directories. We have found that the mom and pop places have usually been the cheaper and better places.
When stopping late after a long day driving we will pull into a state's welcome center or rest area, most have free wi-fi now a days. Our Garmin DEZL 760 also has campgrounds automatically in it, we can look for all kinds of things on our route with that thing, lol.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is the journey that is the best part of the trip. Of course, along the way you have to stop for a night or two.

We have a basic plan and route but it can change at anytime. So where to stay. All of the advice given is good. I have one more method that helps us when we travel.

The night before our departure from any place I bring up one of the Internet maps. I like bing.com/maps because of the great "Birds Eye View" that it gives after locating a place. So let's say that you are traveling to San Antonio, TX. On the map page you would put in that location, or whatever location you are traveling to. When the map of the city/town comes up the map will have its own place to put in a location. Instead of a location put in the words "RV Park" without the quotes and the map will be populated with RV parks (and some that are not RV parks). You can then look at one along your route then check the RV Park Reviews for any information regarding that site. I like this method because I don't have to search around in other programs for places "close" by, I can see them populated on the map. As you slide the map in any direction, new RV Parks will pop up.

Unfortunately proprietors of Mobil home parks have embedded META TAGS in their web sites so you will have them pop-up, but clicking or mousing over a balloon on the map usually identifies them. Other entities have done the same but all-in-all the RV parks will be shown. Another item to search for is "Campgrounds" as some of them have RV spots or are listed separately.

Just another method of seeing what is on your route. What a specific style of restaurant? Just put that in the map search pane instead of RV Park and the restaurants will pop up. Same for museums, zoos, or any thing else you can think of, most of the time.

Happy trails.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #25
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Streets and Trips Question

Am I doing something wrong with Streets and Trips? After reading about it in this thread I downloaded it to evaluate and compare with other capabilities. The Nearby feature is what I am most interested in, but when I set up a route, then selected categories for Nearby along the route I get a list, not a display on the map. According to what I understand, the list can only be sorted alphabetically or proximity to the route, not in order of where they are along the route. Then to see them on the map you have to select them individually one at a time and the map zooms in the specific location.
What I would really like is to see ALL the Nearby items show up on the Route map, then I could move the mouse along the route as desired to see the details.

Any way to do this? Without this capability I may just stick with Google Maps and my RV7710.
2015 Phaeton 40 QBH, 2013 Honda CR-V
FMCA F428578
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #26
You might want to give the demo version of rvtripwizard.com a try. It uses Google maps for cartography and overlays thousands of rv parks. Had dinner gear features like max daily driving distances, campgrounds prioritized by your preferences or membership.

They do charge a reasonable yearly fee and you have to be online to use it. Ask in all a pretty good planning system

Steve Pinn
2008 Newmar Essex-4514
2014 Ram Laramie ecodiesel
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We took a 7000 mile two month trip out west last year. We started out by highlighting the places we definitely wanted to see on a map. Then we determined the best highways to take.

We didn't make reservations ahead. We went to a destination, stayed there until we had seen all we wanted to see, then moved on to the next destination on the map. Worked out great!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am old fashioned. I use a map. I look at my start point then interstates to destination and US hwy or state rte that somewhat parallel the interstate. When the mood strikes us we leave the interstate and cruise the other hwys for a more leisurely journey and different scenery.

"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote