Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #1

How do electric awnings lock?

We bought a new TT with an electric awning and I'm used to my old A&E manual awning on our old TT. I used to take a big electrical tie and wrap it around the arms when we would travel just for extra security.

The new awning has no real lock. The salesmen assured me that when it's closed it's locked. I just don't want to be going through the CBBT in VA and see my awning get ripped off. I may just be overly cautious.

2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

Do a Google search for RV travel locks. I came up with this web site where they sell a kit(s) for various models of awnings to lock the awning roller from turning. Here it is: Which RV Awning Travel Lock Do I Need? There are a couple other ways to lock the awning or prevent a awning from unfurling but this seems to be the most simple.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I lost a Dometic (A&E) Power Awning due to wind. Weather reports were saying wind gust were reaching 80 kph (50 mph) and I should have known better and stayed put. But we only had 100 klms to get home so we set out. Had only been on the road for about 15 minutes with the passenger side to the wind when we heard a loud rumble on the roof. All except the front mounting arm was gone. Fortunately my insurance is paying for the replacement which should be here any day now. I will be checking with the RV service centre that will be doing the install about an additional lock to keep this from happening again.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
We bought a new TT with an electric awning and I'm used to my old A&E manual awning on our old TT. I used to take a big electrical tie and wrap it around the arms when we would travel just for extra security.

The new awning has no real lock. The salesmen assured me that when it's closed it's locked. I just don't want to be going through the CBBT in VA and see my awning get ripped off. I may just be overly cautious.
Wrapping stuff around the awning arms does absolutely nothing to stop the canopy from unfurling. Only stopping the roller from moving does that.

And, while I am not a legal expert, I have given a deposition in a wrongful death case regarding awning unfurling.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Wrapping stuff around the awning arms does absolutely nothing to stop the canopy from unfurling. Only stopping the roller from moving does that.

And, while I am not a legal expert, I have given a deposition in a wrongful death case regarding awning unfurling.
It may not keep the fabric tube from coming un done but It will keep the awning arms from coming down and hitting a bridge etc and ripping the bolts out of the camper. Each to his own.

And what does giving a deposition have anything to do with what I'm asking?
Not trying to be rude but I don't follow you on that one.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:20 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
It may not keep the fabric tube from coming un done but It will keep the awning arms from coming down and hitting a bridge etc and ripping the bolts out of the camper. Each to his own.

And what does giving a deposition have anything to do with what I'm asking?
Not trying to be rude but I don't follow you on that one.
If the awning roller can't turn then the arms won't extend either.

You're kidding right?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If the awning roller can't turn then the arms won't extend either.

You're kidding right?
No I'm not kidding. If the cam lock on a manual awing breaks or strips the awning is free to move the fabric can also spin on the roller tube. I have replaced my fabric before so I know how it works.

I now have a power awning and I was asking about locks if there are any. Or if there is any concern with power awnings coming unraveled going down the road. NOT a debate on weather it makes since to use a strap to hold awning arms in place. THANK YOU
Old 03-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
No OEM Power Awnings have locks that I am aware of, at least in the low range and mid range priced RVs. Would not surprise if the half million dollar premium RVs have something better. Given the 100s of thousands on the road it seems to be quite OK if only 1 or 2 out of 100s of thousands have failed on the road.

That said, it is possible to not quite get the power awning fully retracted if one does not hold down the power awning button long enough. I don't think there is any positive indication that it's fully in at least that's the case on my Winnebago's power awning.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:35 PM   #9

2500HD,,, I think you posted a Great question !!! I asked that very same thing a couple weeks ago when we bought this new 5th wheel. With our old MH, I used velcro straps around the 'manual' awning just for saftey sake. Now we have an electric awning, and I'll be looking at a "manual" way of securing it, as like you I guess , I don't want trouble when it can be avoided. If you come up with a answer, Please repost here. Thanks,,,, Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
Do a Google search for RV travel locks. I came up with this web site where they sell a kit(s) for various models of awnings to lock the awning roller from turning. Here it is: Which RV Awning Travel Lock Do I Need? There are a couple other ways to lock the awning or prevent a awning from unfurling but this seems to be the most simple.
I think this is the answer everyone is looking for. I'm sure there are other solutions in addition to this. Thank you for all the replies thus far.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #11

Good question. My Dometic electric has no visible way to lock down the arms or the roller. My best guess is the roller cannot unfurl because it is directly connected to the electric motor in the roller and cannot overcome the mechanical advantage of the motor. Again, my best guess.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

My Carefree Eclipse electric awning has anti-unfurl tabs built into the roller tube and these ostensibly will prevent unfurling while traveling. Maybe, and we've not had a problem in 10 years of extensive travel.

The Carefree and the Dometic (A&E) electrics have substantially different arm mechanisms. Both, though, basically rely on the motor to overcome outward arm tension and hold the awning in the furled position. In other words, spring or pneumatic pressure pushes the awning out as the motor unwinds the tube. As long as the motor doesn't turn, the awning tube can't unroll. The motor is very high torque and low speed, so is highly resistant to movement.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
My Carefree Eclipse electric awning has anti-unfurl tabs built into the roller tube and these ostensibly will prevent unfurling while traveling. Maybe, and we've not had a problem in 10 years of extensive travel.

The Carefree and the Dometic (A&E) electrics have substantially different arm mechanisms. Both, though, basically rely on the motor to overcome outward arm tension and hold the awning in the furled position. In other words, spring or pneumatic pressure pushes the awning out as the motor unwinds the tube. As long as the motor doesn't turn, the awning tube can't unroll. The motor is very high torque and low speed, so is highly resistant to movement.
Gary, you always give great replies!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Talking

Thanks!

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning