Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #15
doc

Appalachian Campers
I have delivered BMWs from our dealership in N Georgia all the way to DC, Rhode Island, New Orleans and Ft Lauderdale. If the dealer wants to sell the MH to you, he can find enough money in the deal to hire a driver to drive it to your house. Two hundred miles is not a long distance. Tow a car for a return or even have a chase driver follow. It is not brain surgery for the dealer to make this work
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #16

Hmmmmm.........

I was forgetting this thing has a motor. How would the driver get home?

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #17

What you are proposing is definitely doable. I wouldn't do it myself. You're only 200 miles away from the dealer. I think it would be worth it to you, to go to the dealer to pick it up. There could be something you don't like, or something that doesn't work, or is broken in the unit you are buying. It would be better to find that out at the dealership than when it was delivered to you 200 miles away.
After I told a dealer I was going to buy a particular MH in 2013, I had them start the generator , just because. Turned out it wouldn't start. It had a bad fuel pump which was replaced before I picked it up. Hopefully they would have discovered that before delivery to me, but who knows. During my PDI at the dealership (about 30 miles from my house), I noticed a water leak at the water pump under the bed. They fixed that on the spot and discovered that a seal or screen or whatever was missing. That was discovered by me, after they already gone through and done all their prep work.
Just some things to think about. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine111 View Post
I'm not buying used. I'd like to buy new from Fretz dealership in PA. Either a 2015 or 2016 Unity. Also, I have driven one. I've driven the 2013 model.

I'm not able to make the 200 mile trip to the dealership at the moment due to work reasons.

However, in about 6 months I'd like to plan a cross country tour in a new rv. After that tour, I'd be using the rv frequently.

So, my question was....does anyone know through personal experience whether or not getting a new rv shipped from a dealership to my home town is something that is common or uncommon in the industry? Has anyone done it?
If me I would wait until 'work reasons' subside.

Why rush the process? Your choice of RV will be there.

There will be plenty of time to enjoy...as you say "in about 6 months".
Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #19

FWIW What you are getting for waiting another 6 months is a new model year resulting in either a substantially lower price on what you want or a better set of choices depending on what the maker has in mind for the 2016 model lineup. You will also get a better starting price at a show. The result will be you pay significantly more to start with.
Picking it up 6 months before your will really use it also starts the warranty clock sooner so anything you do discover will have less time to be resolved. In addition you will be skipping the PDI so any small things plus the education will be missed.

In short the idea is expensive at best.

You mentioned driving some locally. If you are planning on buying elsewhere over price and getting warranty work done locally be aware that most dealers will take your warranty job in and park the unit in the back of the lot until they have free time to work on it. You are not their customer. You have already shown them that.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
It can be done. Choose the RV with the options color. Purchase the RV. And have it delivered. In your case I might find an RV inspections service(private) do the PDI for you, so the smaller or major problems if any can be corrected at the selling dealer. Then have it delivered either by the dealer or by a pro service, they know how to get back home.

LEN
Old 05-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Call the dealer. For enough money most things can be done.
Most correct answer..All dealer can make contact with one or more delivery services who have bonded porters who can deliver.

Man employ their own,, It is how they get your rig to/from various contract service places when you take it in for service.

Best answer was "DO you really want to buy sight unscene?"

I would not.. Epically "Gently Used" (Looks like two 800pound gorillas had a wrestling match inside it).
Old 05-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #22

If you really want to pay, some dealers should be able to do it.

But, you are going to have to pay for it, sign all papers, and it is yours then, unless damaged in transit of course.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #23

Actually, I'm not rushing. I've been at this selecting and buying rv process for more than a year. This is how I know exactly what I want. I'd rather not still be in the buying process 6 months from now. Also, I'm not having the rv delivered this week. I might not have it delivered for another few months. The only thing I'm doing at the moment is to find out how delivery can be made to my home town without too much drama. Most of you believe that this is doable so I feel more confident that when I contact the dealer they won't think I'm crazy for asking!

Also, as far as waiting for a later model or better price: The difference between the 2015 and 2016 models is the placement of a window. I'd be happy with either model. The price isn't a concern for me. Thanks for all the responses
Jeannine111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #24

I guarantee you if you tell the dealer you want to buy his unit, he'll figure out a way to get it to you.......
Old 05-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #25

Make sure the dealer takes lots of pictures covering every aspect of the mh.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #26

Take the time and at least go look at this MH. You could do it over a day or two. You will probably regret not doing so.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:54 PM   #27

I guess my issue is that even if I looked at the rv before buying, what am I looking for in an rv right out of the factory? It looks like I'd be getting the 2016 model that goes into production next week. If I visited the dealership and test drove it and looked it over, what glaring defects am I looking for? It's brand new. I'm aware that new rvs can have problems. But what are some of the problems that I'd notice on a one day test drive of an rv that just passed factory inspection? If the rv was used then I'd have an idea of what kind of wear and tear to look for.

Has anyone test drove a brand new rv and noticed a factory defect during the test drive? If just one person says "yes" then I'll have to consider making a trip to the dealership before purchase. Thanks for your input and knowledge!
Jeannine111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:30 AM   #28

All I'm going to say is, if you buy something like this, expecting NOT to have issues with it, you'll be the first I've ever heard of. Further, you might just as well acclimate yourself to that 200 mile trip as you'll very likely be making it several times while under warranty. I would not be at all surprised if there were issues that would require the unit be dropped off at the dealer for several days to get handled. You may want to check into how that will be handled...

The pre-purchase inspection is generally a good plan for other reasons as well. You should be given a lesson/full demonstration in how everything in or on that coach works. This gives you a chance to assure yourself everything you ordered/supposed to be included is actually there and functional.

Last, if there is some type of damage, however minor, that might happen in shipping, who's going to be responsible for that repair? I would darn sure have that straight, in writing. You don't want to get in the middle of a blame game played by the manf, the dealer, and a transportation company.... It'll be a safe bet who's going to get stuck with a bill like that.