Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #1

How Do I Buy This Rv?

Hello everyone. I'm new to rvs and new to this forum. Hoping to learn a lot here. I'd like to buy an rv within 6 months. Although I've narrowed down my choices, my question applies to any type of rv from any dealer.

How do I get the rv I want from a dealer 200 miles away from my home? The simple answer is to take a trip to visit the dealer, but I'm unable to do that at the moment. Do rv dealers generally ship rvs to new owners? This may sound like a stupid question, but I've had new cars shipped to me from long distance dealers (for a fee, of course). I understand that my wish to have it shipped would cause me to lose the test drive and other inspections. If I'm not concerned about that, or an additional cost, is it possible to have an rv shipped to me?

Fyi: I'm leaning strongly towards the Leisure Travel Van Unity. How can I make this happen? Thanks!
Jeannine111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #2

Are you sure to want to buy a used RV sight unseen? I wouldn't even buy our new MH without seeing it first. We had to buy ours out of state (275 mi) because the 2 news ones here were too beat up.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #3

Call the dealer. For enough money most things can be done.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine111 View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new to rvs and new to this forum. Hoping to learn a lot here. I'd like to buy an rv within 6 months. Although I've narrowed down my choices, my question applies to any type of rv from any dealer.

How do I get the rv I want from a dealer 200 miles away from my home? The simple answer is to take a trip to visit the dealer, but I'm unable to do that at the moment. Do rv dealers generally ship rvs to new owners? This may sound like a stupid question, but I've had new cars shipped to me from long distance dealers (for a fee, of course). I understand that my wish to have it shipped would cause me to lose the test drive and other inspections. If I'm not concerned about that, or an additional cost, is it possible to have an rv shipped to me?

Fyi: I'm leaning strongly towards the Leisure Travel Van Unity. How can I make this happen? Thanks!
I think it's strange that you would consider buying an RV that you've never driven ? I also wonder how often you would use an RV, since you're not able to travel 200 miles from home in the next 6 months.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #5

There are not too many things I would buy sight unseen & an RV is not one of them.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:32 PM   #6

I'm not buying used. I'd like to buy new from Fretz dealership in PA. Either a 2015 or 2016 Unity. Also, I have driven one. I've driven the 2013 model.

I'm not able to make the 200 mile trip to the dealership at the moment due to work reasons. However, in about 6 months I'd like to plan a cross country tour in a new rv. After that tour, I'd be using the rv frequently. So, my question was....does anyone know through personal experience whether or not getting a new rv shipped from a dealership to my home town is something that is common or uncommon in the industry? Has anyone done it?
Old 05-23-2015, 07:36 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well unfortunately sellers always see their product as perfect which is probably never the case. I've bought a lot of O-Scale trains off of eBay and for some reason nearly everyone thinks that their particular item is mint (again which is very seldom the case). As they say "Buyer Beware". I know a lot of people who have bought cars etc. sight unseen. I know of two instances personally where someone has bought an RV and a 5th wheel off of eBay and an RV site in Michigan. Both deals were absolutely awesome; neither regret their purchases. The individual that purchased the 5th. wheel, paid to have it brought from Michigan to Nebraska. Everything is doable for a price. Just be cautious!
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have not done it myself. I did by a trailer and had it delivered and setup on a permanent site. dealers have drivers that shuffle RV 's to shows, from dealer to dealer, etc. so I am sure it's not a big deal to arrange.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
There are not too many things I would buy sight unseen & an RV is not one of them.
Even with four trips out of state to the dealer, an oil sample done and test drive stuff can still happen!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #10

Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely be cautious. I've spent the last few weeks test driving rvs from my local dealerships. Most of them based on the Sprinter. None of them were the LTV Unity that I like. My original plan was to wait for the rv show in January to test out the Unity there. But now that I'm fairly certain that I want to purchase that rv, I have to ask, "What am I waiting for"? I'm buying brand new. A test drive in a new rv probably won't alert me to any manufacturing problems right away. I'd guess that problems like that won't be seen until the rv is driven for a bit. So, there is always a risk when buying an rv. I'd be relying on the warranty and customer service from the dealership whether I test drove a brand new rv or not. Perhaps I am wrong and this will all be a huge lesson learned in about a year, lol. I'm calling the dealership on Tues to see what arrangements can be made for delivery to me. Keeping my fingers crossed.....
Old 05-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is there a way you can fly to the city where the dealer is located? If so, you can arrange to have them pick you up from the airport. This is what I did once I decided on the make and model. I then drove it home.

A 200-mile flight shouldn't cost too much. You can fly there and check it out and then, if all meets with your approval and the sale is completed, you can drive it home.

It may be probably better if you arrange to look it over and drive it. Unless they can prep it fast, it may take a second trip to finalize the sale and pick it up. It would be probably a lot cheaper than having them deliver it to you.

You should be able to spare at least one day to do this.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:48 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many times we delivered rvs to folks who couldn't make it to the store. Any dealer worth his salt will figure it out.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely be cautious. I've spent the last few weeks test driving rvs from my local dealerships. Most of them based on the Sprinter. None of them were the LTV Unity that I like. My original plan was to wait for the rv show in January to test out the Unity there. But now that I'm fairly certain that I want to purchase that rv, I have to ask, "What am I waiting for"? I'm buying brand new. A test drive in a new rv probably won't alert me to any manufacturing problems right away. I'd guess that problems like that won't be seen until the rv is driven for a bit. So, there is always a risk when buying an rv. I'd be relying on the warranty and customer service from the dealership whether I test drove a brand new rv or not. Perhaps I am wrong and this will all be a huge lesson learned in about a year, lol. I'm calling the dealership on Tues to see what arrangements can be made for delivery to me. Keeping my fingers crossed.....
You know exactly what you are doing. Obviously, many here don't agree with you, but I understand your logic -- I think the way you think. Go for it. Your dealer will work out a way to get it to you.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:44 AM   #14

Quote:
I'm not buying used. I'd like to buy new from Fretz dealership in PA. Either a 2015 or 2016 Unity. Also, I have driven one. I've driven the 2013 model.

I'm not able to make the 200 mile trip to the dealership at the moment due to work reasons. However, in about 6 months I'd like to plan a cross country tour in a new rv. After that tour, I'd be using the rv frequently. So, my question was....does anyone know through personal experience whether or not getting a new rv shipped from a dealership to my home town is something that is common or uncommon in the industry? Has anyone done it?

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Since you are buying new and have driven an example I see no reason not to go forward. I would say it's not a common occurrence but certainly doable. You would be giving up a PDI at the dealership which would give you a chance to ask very specific questions about systems in the vehicle. The dealer might agree to have the delivery made by a tech knowledgeable about this specific coach who could give you a tutorial at point of delivery.

Good luck with your plan.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote