Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

How Do I Unclog My Black Tank Drain?

how to unclog black water drain. Thanks
lloydc1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I have moved your post from the thread you posted it in so you'll get answers specific to your question and to avoid "hijacking" the other thread.

I'm sure you'll get some expert advice soon and it will probably include the use of some hot water and a digesting product designed for septic tank use.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Do you know how it got clogged? Did you leave the valve open and you have a pyramid on the bottom of the tank? Or is it just a localized clog at the outlet?

joe
Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hire the local RV repair person.

It the tank over flowing? If not get a cap which has a water hose nipple and back flush if you have room in the tank for addition liquid. Then shut off the valve, remove the cap, and reattach the drain hose and open the valve. Yes, you will have a small mess, hence hire the repair person.

I am not sure what you do if the toilet is already over flowing without a much larger mess. This is a good case for not ever letting it get too full.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #5

Had a campground neighbor with a clogged tank - he had a honey wagon pump his tank. Suction was strong enough to clear up whatever the clog was.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
Had a campground neighbor with a clogged tank - he had a honey wagon pump his tank. Suction was strong enough to clear up whatever the clog was.
That sounds really dangerous to me. I wouldn't think the black tank would have enough venting to deal with the suction from a honey wagon. The only time I ever had a honey wagon pump our tank, they used a short hose that went into a bucket-like device, and their suction hose pulled from it.

joe
Old 04-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #7

Quote:
That sounds really dangerous to me. I wouldn't think the black tank would have enough venting to deal with the suction from a honey wagon.
Maybe it is and I just do not know any better. We go to several places annually (racetracks, etc) that are dry camping with a honey wagon/water delivery service that you wave down as needed. They just attach their big hose to to tank outlet, open the black and grey drains and do what they are designed for. I do think, however, that the suction is adjustable and that they do not use full power. We have probably used a honey wagon service a dozen or so times on our current motorhome.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe the ones that specialize in RV service have special adjustable pumps. The one I used was primarily a rural septic tank service, and did a sideline in RVs as needed. So they might not have had the right (low power) pump to connect directly to an RV.

joe
Old 04-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ask the people that used it what they put down that blocked the drain, and when you find out who caused the blockage make them reach in and clear it.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
How long is your Arm !!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out Robin Williams in the movie RV where he has 2 yahoos help him drain his tank!
Just figure out what was put in the toilet or where you hooked up at the campground with the drain valve open, that will give you the pyrimyd .
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #12

Have done this, it is not fun. We got a long stiff wire (about 4' long to reach at least a foot into the tank and it was 8 or 10 guage) and a bucket, took the cap off, opened the valve, stuck the wire in and probed aggressively, yanked the wire and slammed the valve shut at the first sign or returns, then hooked up the hose and let it drain. The bucket is to catch any returns. Required 3 applications. Followed that with a prolonged session with a hose-end tank spray attachment to clean out more. Much easier with two people or 3 hands.

You may want to exhaust the other options first.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydc1234 View Post
Verrrwwwwyy carfully. I think the suggestion above with the cap with a hose connection would be my choice.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydc1234 View Post

When you ask a question like that, try to supply as much information as possible,
like where exactly you think it's plugged, what may have caused the plug,
what you have already done to get it open.
The more information you give will reduce what the folks here have to guess at.

Good luck.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote