Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
How Do You Clean The Carpet In Your RV

Our mh has gotten some great use this year. Half a dozen camping trips in the Plumas and Lassen Natl. Forest. Couple of weeks on the road going to Sturgis for the rally and a few back yard camping trips.

Needless to say vacuuming the carpet hasn't been quite enough. I got inside yesterday with our old Bissel carpet shampooer and got it all looking pretty good, though it wasn't exactly easy. We've had the carpet machine for probably 9 years. It saw it's last day yesterday................at the beginning of cleaning the carpet, and I figure since we've gotten so much good use out of it, it's time to say good bye to it. It's dumpster bound.

I've got a subscription to consumer reports and I've researched the carpet shampooers on the site. I've pretty much decided which model to get, but then I thought. "I wonder what other folks on the iRv2 forum use".

So how do the rest of you clean your carpets? Hire a pro like Stanley or other? Do it yourself with a machine? Just say the heck with it and vacuum frequently?

You folks that upgraded your carpet to hardwood or laminate........Ok.....Go ahead and post too, just no nah nah nah nah nah we don't have to clean carpet.......

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My DW makes me scrub with a good carpet cleaner . The carpet is small enough to clean in a hour. My knees get a little sore but I have good pads for them.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We've used Host (dry sawdust material) with good results but recently purchased the new Bissell carpet cleaner - not yet used.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
paz

We use Capture. You spray a small amount of cleaner onto the carpet then sprinkle with a dry powder. Then you brush the powder into the carpet, wait about 30 minutes for it to dry then vacuum. The spray loosens the dirt and the powder absorbs it. We like it because you don't end up with really wet carpets that take the rest of the day to dry.

Capture is available at most Lowe's and Home Depot stores. Sometimes they have it back in the flooring department, and sometimes it is with the cleaning supplies.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We carried a Green Machine with us which worked well. DW always had a few cans of Resolve too. The GM was also great for the upolstered furniture.

We carried a real good vacuum which we used a few times a day to keep the shampoo machine at bay as much as possible. DW also had a 120v Royal hand vac for the small stuff.

Then we really screwed up and installed laminate. Now we carry a regular old broom. We are now board because we have nothing to do all day long. The dogs are mad at us and we had to buy a pair of slippers.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #6

While we are traveling, I use a Resolve type material once a month. Before we leave in the spring, and after we return in the fall, I rent one of the high suction wet machines from a local store and give the carpets a thorough cleaning.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We've owned several carpet shampoo-ers and like the Hoover models best. Use in both the stick house and the coach. Previously had Bissel shampooers and a Little Green Clean Machine. The commercial rental models work well too, but are a bit bulky to use in the confines of an RV.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Most home and rental machines don't have the suction to deep clean a carpet. We have a pro do it once a year and vacuum once a week.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We call Stanley Steemer Carpet Cleaner as the song goes once a year.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bissel here. Plus the really hot water from the coach water heater helps.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Decided on the #1 rated Hoover machine I researched mainly on Consumer Reports. Got it off of Amazon with free shipping with Amazon Prime account. I'm sure it'll be better than the old Bissel that served us well for around 9 years or so. Looked at the user reviews & CR reviews of the Bissels and the Hoover edged them out by a bit. The process I use to do the motorhome works pretty well. I mist the carpet with a spray cleaner, then use only water in the machine, so there's little if any soap residue left in the rug. With this new machine I'll try the detergent reservoir the first time around, followed by just clear water.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #12

I just use the home unit. We clean my fathers Allegro when he shows up, also. I have not seen enough difference between that and the Windsor we use at work. It does take more passes with the home unit, and a clean wet vac will help get more water out of the carpet than the wand that a cleaner would use.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
a clean wet vac will help get more water out of the carpet than the wand that a cleaner would use.

Totally agree with you on the shopvac. My old (DEAD) Bissel didn't have the hose for small areas, like engine hump and bathroom. Those were done with sponge, scrub brush and shopvac. Amazing how much water a 5 hp shopvac will pull out of the carpet.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #14

Stanley Steemer is the only way I'd go. Uses no soap and only dampens the carpet. Any of those other cleaners put soap into the carpet which will attract more dirt. The "dry" type cleaners put granules in the carpet which causes it to wear out faster.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote