Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2018, 05:32 AM   #57

Ford Super Duty Owner
Along the OP's original thought, maybe they should be "sunbirds" then ?? ☠️

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
I remember the first time I heard the term “snowbird,” maybe 25 or 30 years ago. I thought it odd, since they were fleeing snow. I call myself by the term now, particularly since we are moving back to Iowa. We definitely are going to be snowbirds with a home base there!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #59

There are snowbirds and there god damn snowbirds, yankees and damn yankess.

If you are being refereed to as a snowbird or a yankee relax, no harm meant, just a way the folks identify full time residents and part time winter residents.

If you are getting called a damn snowbird or a damn yankee you either caught a person on a bad day or you did something to make thier life hard like make a right turn from the left lane with zero warning or they are just a jerk and do not understand snowbirds bring in a lot of money into areas.......they also take up a lot of resources but the good outweighs the bad for most folks..sometimes people get frustrated when they cant get a campsite at the local state park for 6 months of the year to take the fam out for a short notice weekend or were late getting home from work due to crazy winter traffic or have to wait 60 min for a table at the same place that in aug seats them in a min and knows them as a regular and has their fav drink on the way before even being seated.......... most times they are just frustrated and mean no real harm.

Blue hair is generally a derogatory term also.

Typical Joke full time floridians in the service industry often giggle at.
Whats the diff between a canadian and a canoe? Canoes tip.

I lived in florida for many many years before going off to rv. I swore i would move north and drive 50 in the left lane with my right turn signal on when i retired. I dont but it is often very tempting to dish out a little payback now and again.

Try having florida plates and travel around in an rv. First assumption is that we over 70 years old, (because florida is just gods waiting room and everyone is old.... we are 50) then come the "florida man" and the hanging chad cant count jokes. jokes, harmless.

edit. i re read ops post. I may be off the mark. sorry. I dont know for sure the orgin of the term but It seems to clearly have to do with birds that migrate to warmer climates in winter. You are near the glades? Most all of those wading birds migrated in to spend winter then leave in the spring. Just like the people that are called snowbirds.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #60

Feel Real good about it......It's Snowing at home today!
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
So what do you call an Arizona resident who summers in Montana? A Sunbird? That's what I intend to be, as soon as I get done with this foolish waste of time called 'work.'
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
There are snowbirds and there god damn snowbirds, yankees and damn yankess.

If you are being refereed to as a snowbird or a yankee relax, no harm meant, just a way the folks identify full time residents and part time winter residents.

If you are getting called a damn snowbird or a damn yankee you either caught a person on a bad day or you did something to make thier life hard like make a right turn from the left lane with zero warning or they are just a jerk and do not understand snowbirds bring in a lot of money into areas.......they also take up a lot of resources but the good outweighs the bad for most folks..sometimes people get frustrated when they cant get a campsite at the local state park for 6 months of the year to take the fam out for a short notice weekend or were late getting home from work due to crazy winter traffic or have to wait 60 min for a table at the same place that in aug seats them in a min and knows them as a regular and has their fav drink on the way before even being seated.......... most times they are just frustrated and mean no real harm.

Blue hair is generally a derogatory term also.

Typical Joke full time floridians in the service industry often giggle at.
Whats the diff between a canadian and a canoe? Canoes tip.

I lived in florida for many many years before going off to rv. I swore i would move north and drive 50 in the left lane with my right turn signal on when i retired. I dont but it is often very tempting to dish out a little payback now and again.

Try having florida plates and travel around in an rv. First assumption is that we over 70 years old, (because florida is just gods waiting room and everyone is old.... we are 50) then come the "florida man" and the hanging chad cant count jokes. jokes, harmless.

edit. i re read ops post. I may be off the mark. sorry. I dont know for sure the orgin of the term but It seems to clearly have to do with birds that migrate to warmer climates in winter. You are near the glades? Most all of those wading birds migrated in to spend winter then leave in the spring. Just like the people that are called snowbirds.

Hey JBRV
You are correct - "you are off the mark"
I just wasted 2 minutes reading this post and trying to understand "why" every remark you made had a negative tone about it?
Tourism is good for any business in any city, whether it be Canadians in Florida or Americans travelling through Canada.
And trust me, at a 29% difference in our dollar, you should be happy that we Snowbirds still come south.
Oh, and thanks for your personal observations and classifying "all" Canadians as poor tippers!
I really don't think that was the intent of the original post.
Time to chill out and stop being so divisive, we are just trying to enjoy a Winter vacation.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
Hey JBRV
You are correct - "you are off the mark"
I just wasted 2 minutes reading this post and trying to understand "why" every remark you made had a negative tone about it?
Tourism is good for any business in any city, whether it be Canadians in Florida or Americans travelling through Canada.
And trust me, at a 29% difference in our dollar, you should be happy that we Snowbirds still come south.
Oh, and thanks for your personal observations and classifying "all" Canadians as poor tippers!
I really don't think that was the intent of the original post.
Time to chill out and stop being so divisive, we are just trying to enjoy a Winter vacation.
So yeh i could have dleted my post once i notice i missed op's point but it had already been up for a bit at that point so i figured edit was better.

You must have skimmed over this part.........".but the good outweighs the bad for most folks"

or this "jokes. jokes, harmless."

lighten up Francis.

jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote