Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
We worked our butts off all of our lives to become one ��. So we’re 0kay with it, but do try to be sensitive and a nonissue for locl folks. We have actually met quite a few who vacation North to our area so thats great too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #30

I guess I’m the opposite of a snow bird. Lived most of my life in So Calif. Now I’m a full time RVer. I go north for the summer and back south for the winter. Mostly to AZ. Had my fill of Calif. as far as speeding. When you are going slower than the speed of traffic you need to move over to the right. Even if you are doing the posted speed limit you are a hazard if you are going slow and driving on the left. As I said when I was a traffic court Judge, yes I was one, move over and don’t deprive the speeders of their speeding ticket.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
Can't wait to be one! Although I believe that the term should bee sunbirds instead.
I consider myself to be a sunbird... heading north to cooler climates when the temperature ratchets up here in AZ during the summer.

I think the term "snowbird" describes perfectly the great folks that we get in AZ for the winter season. We do laugh when we see someone wearing shorts and sandals in January when it's 50 degrees out. Always know they have to be from North Dakota..!
Old 02-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife decided that we should migrate from MN to the Southern US. When I let fellow Minnesotans know that I am a snowbird what I see in their eyes is ENVY!
JOHNMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask66 View Post
I heard a new name for snowbirds here in AZ. Q Tips=white hair and white tennis shoes!
Grey Nomads in Australia - sometimes angrily referred to as Slow Moving #$%#$#@#@ Roadblocks.

However Qtips merely refer to physical appearance rather than migratory habits so I don't see it as equivalent to Snowbirds
Old 02-15-2018, 08:16 PM   #34

I'm 64 years old and I care if someone calls me a snowbird? Um...nope...don't care...call me whatever you like!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:21 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Snowbird is much better than popsicle.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:39 AM   #36

Tried being a snowbird for a short time. Now I’m a Winter Texan. In my experience, I’m more accepted and appreciated here in Texas. The cost of living is certainly much less. The lifestyle is more conducive to my likes and needs. I see a lot of community activities aimed at and for Winter Texans. I like being a Winter Texan.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:39 AM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To the Original post.. Well I was going to make a comment (Snow birds do not migrate south in the winter, SUN Birds do) but you said it.

So... Agreed.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #38

At the Jersey Shore, we can tell who the snowbirds are in the summer, they live in their summer homes in the retirement villages, and have Florida plates on their cars. So, I guess it's a trade off.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #39

The term makes sense to me...they fly away from the snow. You'll never hear me complain about snowbirds in central FL. They spend lots of money and help the economy. I'll deal with the increased traffic & wait lines at restaurants.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #40
Commercial Member

call me what you want. just as long as the sun shines and its warm.
ive been called worse.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Snowbirds

I have a friend Brent Burns that is a singer/songwriter that performs at Lu Lu's in Gulf Shores. He has a song that he sings called " If this is Snowbird Season why can't we just shoot them" He is very popular with the Snowbird folks in the area.

Ronnie Tucker
RonnieTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=Jim.B1;4041139]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
You're too far south to experience the "joy" of snowbird season. I'm up in the St. Pete area and when the influx of out of staters show up so does the congestion. Yea, it helps the economy, and all but man, why do they always pick the time that I need to be on the road to go sightseeing?

Special note: Our Canadian friends in this area do not speed. Understood following the speed limit is good, but when you're doing 60 and the traffic is going around you on both sides doing 80 you're an obstacle. Yep, I get it you're in a foreign country following their laws, but you're also a hazard to those around you at that point.
Special Note 2: I say this as I prepare to leave the area for the next 8 months in my RV where MY top driven speed is 65 regardless of the speed limit so I'm just as guilty, but just sayin'.

ThomB
Are you serious? You consider someone driving the posted speed limit is hazardous, and 20 mph over the posted limit is totally acceptable because "you" are not from a foreign country!
Never really looked at things quite that way, that's interesting.
I agree with Jim.B1. Driving the speed limit is LEGAL. Driving faster than the limit is ILLEGAL.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote