Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Im one of those so called rolling roadblocks.. I drive max 65 but cruise in the right lane on average 55-60.. ( speed limit here is 70mph but everyone drives 80)... When I come upon someone merging I adjust my speed ...either I speed up a bit or slow down accordingly... What ever keeps me at a safe distance to react to any changes in traffic....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
1) I don't drive in the right lane,
2) If I have to use the right lane, I use the air horn.

TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #17

Guess I'm lucky. Have very few incidents with slow mergers. Regrettably, I am often a slow merger myself, never getting to 65 mph when entering the highway. Usually 55 to 60.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm always aware of my surroundings and often shift to another lane when there are a lot of merging vehicles. When I'm in the right lane, I'll move over on occasion, but I really don't care what these idiots do. Since the truckers have the same issue as we do when entering the highway, I always make room for them.

About 45% of the mergers (cars) don't even look left until they run out of onramp. At that point I just look in the mirror to see if they went off the edge. I feel these knuckleheads are getting some much needed free instruction. I know they feel relieved when the end of the motor home appears, until they realize their is 20 more feet of toad.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:51 PM   #19

I see this all of the time:

http://youtu.be/eTg4R9upVvo

Bruce
Old 07-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm always aware of my surroundings and often shift to another lane when there are a lot of merging vehicles. When I'm in the right lane, I'll move over on occasion, but I really don't care what these idiots do. Since the truckers have the same issue as we do when entering the highway, I always make room for them.

About 45% of the mergers (cars) don't even look left until they run out of onramp. At that point I just look in the mirror to see if they went off the edge. I feel these knuckleheads are getting some much needed free instruction. I know they feel relieved when the end of the motor home appears, until they realize their is 20 more feet of toad.
I like the way you drive.

Bruce
Old 07-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #21

I don't change my speed, no sense in two people trying to second guess one another. I figure it's their job to merge safely just as it would be my job if our positions were reversed. And yes, I've been run off on onto the shoulder when I did a bad job merging but I didn't feel anger, just embarrassment at my own incompetence.

Steve
Old 07-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #22

I adjust my speed before I kill someone. That said, I don't respect stupid. Darwin is close behind them.

Maybe even ahead..............
Old 07-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if its safe to move over I will, if not
I have two very loud air horns and they usually speed up or slow down or even run into the emergency lane
I figure i am running 65, the speed limit is normally 70
if they can see this huge object and think i will slow...they are dead wrong
i hold my lane and press the LOUD button.

merging is just that, and we already are on the road are not required to slow or adjust to allow them to merge
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #24
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
If I can't move over I maintain speed and let them figure out what to do. Exception - 18's and other big rigs - I slow or speed up as needed to make merge doable.
X2
Old 07-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #25

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I see this all of the time:

http://youtu.be/eTg4R9upVvo

Bruce
Hey Bruce
Did you stumble on that or did it take a lot of research.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I had a different type of "merge" situation last year. Bumper to bumper traffic near Madison Wi, labor day weekend. I had to stay in the right lane as I was going to exit in a couple miles. An on ramp & merge lane was backed up but people were letting other in. I let a truck in front of me and then all of a sudden another truck zipped around my front to cut me off. I moved a little forward and the guy starts waving his hands, he was pulling a trailer with a jet ski on it & I didn't see it. He pulled forward and scrapped the front of my RV with the trailer then got out screaming out me. I was going to get out to discuss the situation with him but my wife wouldn't let me. He got in and just kept going.

As to the original post, if I can I move over, if not I'll decide whether to speed up or slow down but I try not to run people off the road. I will use my air horn if necessary. Some times will give the one finger salute to special needs people who don't understand how to drive.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
THIS IS WHY THE DW "GAVE" ME A BIG SET OF MARINE HORNS!

Incident: traveling on a 2-lane divided road during evening rush hour, in right most lane with cars & trucks beside & behind me; new beetle comes down on-ramp and appears to want to run me off the road. DW, setting in co-pilot seat has a few choice comments as the idiot slams on her breaks after running onto the right shoulder (& the electric truck horns squeeze out a muted squeak). DW: "Can you get some loud horns that will let idiots know that we are here? Me - yes dear I can. "Well thats your first Christmas present this year." (Ongaro Electric Deluxe Marine Dual Trumpet Horns - 12 Volt DC) I installed them last year and they have paid for themselves several times over.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #28

Germany is the place to learn to merge. As soon as you appear in the merge lane, ALL traffic - including trucks - in the RH lane likely to arrive at the spot where you will cross into the RH lane starts pulling into the next left lane so you can just about merge with your eyes shut.
As it should be.