Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #43

I have also seen situations where nobody "helps" a person merge and they are forced to stop completely and a line of stopped cars forms behind them. Now they are all in danger trying to merge in heavy traffic from a standstill, one after the other.

Merging is tough sometimes, and if I can help someone, I will. I bear in mind how heavy the traffic is and what I would do if I were the merger.

My compassion increases when their real options are small.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
if i can't move over i maintain speed and let them figure out what to do. Exception - 18's and other big rigs - i slow or speed up as needed to make merge doable.
right on!

Old 07-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
That is what I don't understand; why they don't speed up or slow down. It has always been my philosophy to match traffic speed while I am still in the merging lane unless conditions dictate otherwise. And if possible, I will always move left to provide a comfortable experience for those merging. But some seem to fixate on holding their ground or forcing you to slow or just not giving a damn.
I think they are scared when there is no slot open to them.

If I see they can more easily just get in behind me, I accelerate (early) to make that crystal clear.

But if I see the guy behind me is too close to make that an option, I slow to let them in if their speed is reasonably close to merge speed.

Overall I like to avoid the "friction" of the right lane and stay in the middle on a three-lane.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Okay, often I am hemmed in by traffic so can't move over. They have to either pull in front of me or slow and fit in behind me. What is so hard to understand about that? Instead some people do neither, and just drive along shoulder to shoulder with me. What do they expect to happen? If they are expecting me to stop my 65 foot long 45,000 pound rig so they can lazily drift over, they are expecting too much.

Every driver who is merging must fit himself into the traffic flow, not the other way around.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #47

When we were on a trip with our old truck and trailer, I could always count on at least one idiot trying to merge between my truck and trailer. I now own a Class C which makes it much harder on them.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEdgar View Post
We're just as bad sometimes. How many times have you passed a class A driver with his cruise control set on 62 (or some other magic number) because that's the speed he always goes regardless of the posted sign or the traffic flow. Plenty of people dodging around that moving roadblock.
This has nothing to do with the original post. The OP was discussing stupid people getting on the freeway and not paying attention to the traffic coming along. A rig towing a trailer has a legal limit of 55 in some states so if you are dodging around them then perhaps you are not in the correct lane to begin with.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #49

How Do You Handle Slow Mergers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Okay, often I am hemmed in by traffic so can't move over. They have to either pull in front of me or slow and fit in behind me. What is so hard to understand about that? Instead some people do neither, and just drive along shoulder to shoulder with me. What do they expect to happen? If they are expecting me to stop my 65 foot long 45,000 pound rig so they can lazily drift over, they are expecting too much.

Every driver who is merging must fit himself into the traffic flow, not the other way around.

Maybe they "must" but they will simply "not". And we cannot change them.
The Hadleys can blare and they don't care. And they probably have no expectation of what may happen. They do not adapt well, so we must.
I just lighten up on the throttle and leave as much room in front as possible. They usually take the hole.
I do very little city driving for many good reasons.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
When travelling on freeways - my preferred speed is in that 60-65 range. As a result, I'm usually one of the slower vehicles - so I stay as far to the right as practical. When I have to deal with somebody trying to enter the highway - I use the "move left when I can, slow when I must approach".

The only time I find myself really frustrated is when I find myself unable to move left - with a driver who basically matches my speed (refusing to stick his foot in it to get in front of me ... and slowing down when I slow down).

I echo the sentiments of several others - horn honking is ineffective - so I rarely use the horn (despite having a set of air horns at my disposal). Moron mergers who can't seem to figure out how to avoid my 43' long, 43,000 lb motor home certainly won't be doing anything different if it suddenly becomes a LOUD, 43' long, 43,000 lb motor home. All blowing the air horn does is startle everybody else around you.

When I run into the aggressive drivers who appear to think they can make a hole ... I simply pray that I'm there to see it when karma finally kicks their ass.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I had a different type of "merge" situation last year. Bumper to bumper traffic near Madison Wi, labor day weekend. I had to stay in the right lane as I was going to exit in a couple miles. An on ramp & merge lane was backed up but people were letting other in.
I'll never for get one time when I was working in San Antonio in the late 80's. Headed back to Austin on Friday afternoon, I was in a pickup trying to get on I-10 with traffic backed up to a crawl. Cars in the right lane were alternately letting one car at a time merge on the freeway. This old guy (old to me at the time) in a Class A was obviously irritated. He was riding the bumper of the car in front, refusing to allow anyone to merge. Sure enough, my turn would put me in front of him and when I attempted to merge, he started yelling profanities on some type of PA outside speakers using his CB radio, and saying "come on buddy, you want some of this?" I laughed at him and waited to get in behind him. I could see his wife scolding him.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #52
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Most people driving cars do not have a clue, that is, if they are even paying attention. I've seen the faces of drivers who are in the merge lane look over at me in surprise! What were they looking at as they are trying to get onto the highway?

I don't bother to use the horns anymore. Had a bad incident in MD where some yahoo in a pickup came right out in front of me going 25 and when I tooted the horns, he brake checked me. I don't know how I didn't hit him.

What do I do? If I can move over, I will. If slowing some will help you to merge, I will. If you are going to be stupid and drive down the merge lane right beside me, then you will have a problem.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Germany is the place to learn to merge. As soon as you appear in the merge lane, ALL traffic - including trucks - in the RH lane likely to arrive at the spot where you will cross into the RH lane starts pulling into the next left lane so you can just about merge with your eyes shut.
As it should be.
Yes true but the driving rules in Europe are way different than in the states. Germany you have to let merging traffic in, and they better be at or above speed before they get half way down the ramp.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #54

Some folks are just predispositioned to make our national highway system a battle ground, no matter how polite you try to be, how patient you try to be, they will cut you off at the next exit when all they had to do is wait until the next 50 yards or so for you to pass.

Cut you off at the on ramp just because of the me first attitude, then flip you the bird because you are on their road.

My best experience was one day traveling north on (I95) in virginia.

This young lady came down the on ramp driving with her left foot on the dash of her Camero.

I was drive an 18 wheeler at the time and keeping an eye on the Virginia State trooper riding right beside me on the left.

Well she took her sweet time and paced me to just about the end of the ramp, then realized I was holding my speed.

The state trooper was also pacing me on my left so even though I would have moved over, I had no where to go.

Now the the fight began, she floored it just when she got to the end of the ramp, the trooper decided to pass me at that same point.

When the finger came up to give me that famous salute, she lost a little bit of control and wandered into the left lane.

She couldn't see the trooper there because her left leg was blocking the mirror I assumed, and hit the trooper sending him into the medium spinning.

When the trooper regained control and got back on the road, I was about to pull over to assist if needed.

She was down the road a little farther, and still rolling on the shoulder.

That trooper was not a happy camper when he passed me, and when I pulled over behind him expecting to get caught up in the crossfire, he waved me off.

I still can't tell this story and not cry laughing.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Some folks are just predispositioned to make our national highway system a battle ground, no matter how polite you try to be, how patient you try to be, they will cut you off at the next exit when all they had to do is wait until the next 50 yards or so for you to pass.

Cut you off at the on ramp just because of the me first attitude, then flip you the bird because you are on their road.

My best experience was one day traveling north on (I95) in virginia.

This young lady came down the on ramp driving with her left foot on the dash of her Camero.

I was drive an 18 wheeler at the time and keeping an eye on the Virginia State trooper riding right beside me on the left.

Well she took her sweet time and paced me to just about the end of the ramp, then realized I was holding my speed.

The state trooper was also pacing me on my left so even though I would have moved over, I had no where to go.

Now the the fight began, she floored it just when she got to the end of the ramp, the trooper decided to pass me at that same point.

When the finger came up to give me that famous salute, she lost a little bit of control and wandered into the left lane.

She couldn't see the trooper there because her left leg was blocking the mirror I assumed, and hit the trooper sending him into the medium spinning.

When the trooper regained control and got back on the road, I was about to pull over to assist if needed.

She was down the road a little farther, and still rolling on the shoulder.

That trooper was not a happy camper when he passed me, and when I pulled over behind him expecting to get caught up in the crossfire, he waved me off.

I still can't tell this story and not cry laughing.
Now that's Karma.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #56

Reading all these postings just reinforced my desire for a dashcam.Had a neighbor that never looked before merging assuming he had the right of way.