Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #57
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
right on!
No, not right on at all, especially if by lifting your foot you can open up a gap in front of you to let them in. Why would you treat a truck driver better than a car driver..

Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #58
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
From my experience, 'most' truckers will do whatever they can, to let a large RV merge. Lots of car drivers have no clue, and/or could care less!

Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #59
Sometimes traffic prevents me from moving left to allow entering vehicles. I'd rather slow down than cause a crash-no matter who is right; but that starts a guessing game for both vehicles, mine and theirs. So usually I maintain my speed and sound the horn to let them know I'm there.
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
1) I don't drive in the right lane,
2) If I have to use the right lane, I use the air horn.
Driving in the Left lane today will get you a $500 ticket,it is now a passing lane only in many states. Indiana joined- passing such a law, effective July 1, 2015
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #60
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
If somebody hasn't done something very often, wouldn't their assumptions be more imagined than experienced?
My assumptions are based on real experience. I have seen a bad result of someone being honked at more than once.
My point was if you are paying attention you can usually spot these guys and slow down and let them in. Much better than letting them pace you and risk a crash.
If it makes you feel like the big dog with the big horn honk away.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:32 PM   #61
Merging is one of my all time road rage things. If your getting on the interstate slam the throttle down and get on out there, don't poke around next to someone. As far as speed goes I run 68-72 mph in my class A. Most 18 wheelers are governed at 65 mph so if you match there speed your good to go. If you are running 55mph your a rolling road hazard IMHO.
Jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #62
Originally Posted by JEdgar View Post
We're just as bad sometimes. How many times have you passed a class A driver with his cruise control set on 62 (or some other magic number) because that's the speed he always goes regardless of the posted sign or the traffic flow. Plenty of people dodging around that moving roadblock.
As long as that 62 is in the right lane nothing wrong with it. I drive my car at 60-62 all the time if im not in a hurry, I put it in the right lane and relaxe. I like 60-62 because it is slow enough to allow trucks that have max speeds of 65 sometimes to get past me and not trap them in the center or left lane.

I deal with bad mergers in my car buy keeping my pace, If they have not bothered to look up and pick up the pace or slow down in order to get in and action is needed by me i speed up and then assume my 60-62 and laugh at them trapped behind me because they were not paying attn. If it is a semi or rv trying to get up to speed i cut em some slack because i know how it is.

If i am in the rv it depends on my mood. Most times i hold my speed, If i can move over i will, if i can not i hold my speed and assume they do not wany get hit by a big rv. If the get in front of me and brake check me then so be it. Dash cam will show them cutting in front and the brake check and should protect me in court.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #63
You have the right of way, so, it's their choice, Gas or Brake, simple, I think the real problem is the merger not paying attention and they don't see you till they are right next to you
2005 Newmar DS 4023, Spartan Chassis, ISL 370 Cumapart, 2008 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, 2015 Kia Soul, 1969 Italian & 2004 Akita
DMTTRANSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #64
It's bad mergers that make me wish missiles were an option on my RV or car. I hate it when people don't yield or merge properly. We can't just quickly move over or slam our brakes on to accommodate them and sometimes I will just have to lay on the horn so they know we are there while we are slowing down to avoid an issue.
Jay & Jazz ~ Along The Way With J&J
1994 Tioga - Massachusetts
Follow Us! > Our Blog - YouTube - Twitter - FaceBook
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #65
Entegra Owners Club
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Maybe they "must" but they will simply "not". And we cannot change them.
The Hadleys can blare and they don't care. And they probably have no expectation of what may happen. They do not adapt well, so we must.
I just lighten up on the throttle and leave as much room in front as possible. They usually take the hole.
I do very little city driving for many good reasons.
I have tried that tactic, and sometimes when I slow they just do not take the hint and accelerate to pull in front of me. They just hold their speed as they run out of ramp space, and then hit their brakes to stop. This has happened to me several times. I will do whatever it takes to make things work, but I cannot read their mind. If they will not pull in front of me when I slow down, I am out of options if the space to my left is occupied.
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #66
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I have tried that tactic, and sometimes when I slow they just do not take the hint and accelerate to pull in front of me. They just hold their speed as they run out of ramp space, and then hit their brakes to stop. This has happened to me several times. I will do whatever it takes to make things work, but I cannot read their mind. If they will not pull in front of me when I slow down, I am out of options if the space to my left is occupied.
Yes, I have seen this. Sometimes I think maybe their plan was for you to pass and they were planning to drop in behind you. So even though you slow down, they still wait to do their original plan.

Or, they are just scared to go in front of a huge vehicle. It is hard to say. It probably varies. Some are waiting. Some are timid. Some are not paying attention.

I am starting to think that I should just maintain speed, stay wary and alert, and slow if I see they are really accelerating to merge in front. But accelerate myself if I am already a significant bit in front of them to let them get in behind me.

It takes great "speed judgement" on OUR part.
Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #67

There's no doubt that merging is a test of our mettle. I have found myself in all the situations described in may of previous posts.

Think I find I feel best when I do my best to have a good out come for all. Sometimes that means as previously stated, to slow, to speed up, to move over -- but do what you can to avoid an accident and arrive safely where you are headed. After all isn't that what it's all about? To get where you hope to go and feel good about the journey and be ready to be at your best to enjoy? I believe so, and I find when I do that I'm happiest with myself!

94 Monaco Sig m11 elect fuel inj
95 Jeep toad
Loren Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #68
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
If they're trying to speed up to get in front of me, but are running out of merge lane, then I will slow down to let them in. If they are just running along the same speed as me I will hold my speed. When I see they are running out of lane, I use the air horns to warn them that it would not be smart to try to force my hand!

BTW- I've seen them run off the road to the right when I set down on those horns!
I've got to get me an air horn for sure......I can now see many states making everyone take a drivers education course when renewing their licenses just to stuff their own coffers. I'm being facetious of course about stuffing their coffers. I'm just surprised its not there now.
Mikey (USN retired, Radioman)
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #69
Re: air horns, we consider them to be a form of driver's ed......

Yes, you get that automatic solute (ow! please stop, that hurts!), but you know from the startled initial response that they may reconsider before trying that move again...
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #70
In Canada you must move over if you can, it is illegal to travel 10 Klm or more under the speed limit and no matter where I am traveling, even though the p..s me off, I am not in a hurry to get anywhere so I slow down if I can't move over ........ just sayin'

Bob Witt is offline   Reply With Quote