Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #71

I think merging at 65 mph into solid traffic where there is really no space is the most difficult task any driver faces. So when people are not skilled drivers, this is where it is most obvious, and most dangerous.

I'll do what I can to make it less dangerous for me and for them. It takes good judgement on my part as to what that is in any given situation.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #72

I handle mergers very carefully. You got to pay attention, cause they don't.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
This will probably offend someone, but so be it. I watch for minivans. If I see a minivan on the entrance ramp, I figure there's about a 70% chance the driver is screaming at the kids or playing with their phone and not paying attention.
It's happened too many times to be a coincidence.
I drive defensively, but I'm also not afraid to let people know they're idiots when the situation calls for it.
I watch for 10 year old Buicks. Guaranteed to be slow. (no offense intended either)

Great thread topic. I've taken my RV driving lessons watching the truckers. Always move to the left when possible, slow down when appropriate. Stay cool. Also move to the left with a disabled vehicle on the right.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #74
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Think one of these in place of my satellite dome might be effective?

Old 07-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
This topic is one of my favorites and let's keep it going!

I first became aware of the merge problem while riding in an 18 wheeler with a truck driving friend of mine. He was always prepared and always expected the same issues that have already been expressed here. He was seldom disappointed.

Now, driving a 40' MoHo with a toad, I see the same problems. It's become a game with me and my DW to guess what the merging driver will do. I'll accommodate as best I can but sometimes there's nothing you can do. If you slow down for one car there's always a second car that'll try and squeeze in, etc. Argh!

If possible, I'll always drive one lane left of the outside lane on a three or more lane freeway just to avoid this entirely. And I almost never use my horn. Don't feel the need. Live's way too short (and is getting shorter by the moment) to get upset while driving.

I always scan the right mirror looking for last minute mergers then I try to do the safest thing.

We all have our ways of dealing with mergers but anger shouldn't be one of them. This whole issue is really about being courteous. Setting an example, as in, just because they're idiots doesn't mean we have to be.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #76

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can see a puddle jumper not having the power to speed up, but it drives me nuts to see a Lincoln or Caddy with the big power house engine coming out the merge lane like a 90 year old grandma heading to the bed.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
The issue of merging stems from training and licensing.

The proper method to merge is detailed in most drivers handbooks. This excerpt if from the Nevada handbook:

- Using the merge or acceleration lane, look for an opening in traffic, use your turn signal and accelerate to or near the speed of the freeway traffic.

- As you enter from a merging lane, you must yield to traffic already on the freeway. If you are already traveling on the freeway, watch for merging traffic and adjust your speed to allow for safe and smooth merges.

The second statement gives the message that merging traffic should expect assistance when they are merging. IMO it is a noble statement that only serves to confuse the issue and makes it confusing as to the responsibilities of either party.

Another confusing issue I have is the posted speed on the acceleration ramp. We have often been told (and some have tickets) for accelerating too soon and been ticketed just short of the new speed. An officer told me that the speed changes at the line by the sign and accelerating too soon or not slowing up soon enough you can get a ticket.

So you are leaving a 30 mph speed zone and turning on to the ramp. When does the speed limit change? The first speed sign you will encounter is several hundred yards down the freeway after the merge lane ends. Using our knowledge and conditioning for speed zones in and around town what do you do? I think one thing that could be done is place a freeway speed limit sign near the beginning of the acceleration ramp. IMO people would see the sign and start to accelerate sooner.

I expect there are many near misses compared to the accidents that occur. Which means the politicians and roadway managers do not have a lot of incentive to do much about it.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #78

Quote:
it is illegal to travel 10 Klm or more under the speed limit
All of Canada or just one province?

Sounds a bit suspect to me.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #79

On a three lane highway I NEVER use the right lane ever. Because of hoe people merge and exit.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #80

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
All of Canada or just one province?

Sounds a bit suspect to me.
I've lived in B.C for 51yrs, and I've never heard of this !!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #81

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I've lived in B.C for 51yrs, and I've never heard of this !!
Sounds like 18 wheelers would be getting about 50 tickets a day.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
And they vote

My opinion is put ALL new drivers on motorcycles for the first 90 days of their driving...

those that survive will be defensive drivers and give evveryone the courtesy they deserve, the others shouldn't (and won't ) be driving !!!

in town I always have the exhaust brake on so that it helps me stop - as long as you do not let off, it doesn't really change your driving that much and will certainly help in a panic situation.

I do drive all my vehicles 'expecting' them to do something stupid and am disappointed only sometimes...

usually try to 'read' the other drivers intentions... and avoid the indecision whenever I can by 'helping' them make their decision...
don't want to give them the opportunity to waffle by making MY intentions VERY clear.

if I'm letting them in I toot the horn and back off,
if not I use liberal throttle to close any gap they might THINK they can use while still watching traffic trends ahead.

as a last resort there's always that big honk
Old 07-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
And they vote

My opinion is put ALL new drivers on motorcycles for the first 90 days of their driving...

those that survive will be defensive drivers and give all the courtesy they deserve, the others shouldn't (and wont't ) be driving !!!

I do drive all my vehicles 'expecting' them to do something stupid and am disappointed only sometimes...

Good answer. I also stay away from the right lane on a three lane road. Not because of mergers so much as that lane often becomes an exit only lane and many times they don't give you enough time to get left. And then it gets ugly.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #84
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes I wish I had a real long pole that I could reach through their drivers window and mash down on their accelerator pedal.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote