Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikorge View Post
Where can I get one of those for my rig?????

I'd like to see a (CROWS) mounted on the top of a Motorhome. But the Law may not like it...LOL
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #100

Freightliner Owners Club
This has been up before:--

Years ago, DW and I going around Atlanta in MH. Little Miata in right lane, on his cell phone, drifted into my lane, almost under the right front bumper. Nailed the air horns, he threw the phone in the back seat, went off the road up onto the grass, big slide and cloud of dust. He did recover and returned to the road but moving much slower. We laughed at his over-reaction --after we realized we had not caused a disaster...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:55 AM   #101

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I want a cell phone blocker signal, for around my rig. That way they won't be reading any texts or chatting, when near me.

Maybe with nothing better to do, they will pay attention to driving.
I know you said this in jest but that exact situation happened in Tampa a couple of years ago. Story came out on the news that State troopers and the Feds had made an arrest on I-4 of a person with exactly that type of jammer. Seems like for several months emergency personnel and police on the i-4 corridor every morning and evening were experiencing blocked cell phone service. They deduced that it was someone traveling with a jammer and eventually picked him out and arrested him and if I recall it involved Federal some scary sounding Federal charges.
The perps comment was in essence that he got tired of seeing people using cell phones around him while driving to and from work so he took care of it.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #102

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I want a cell phone blocker signal, for around my rig. That way they won't be reading any texts or chatting, when near me.

Maybe with nothing better to do, they will pay attention to driving.
I've wanted a jammer for a long time. Problem is those drivers would be trying and trying to redial and concentrating even less... if that were even possible.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #103

Seems to me, it's the person who could last avoid the collision is who will be held at fault.

That said, I move over if I can, slow if need be, or hold position as circumstance dictates. I don't care to be that last person.

As an anecdote, I used to have a off shore fishing boat (26') and was coming down from up north of L.A. one day on I405 towing the boat. Around LAX, traffic slowed to it's typical snail pace and I was traveling in the right lane with no opportunity to move over if need be. Came up to an on-ramp where folks were merging one by one. I had passed the end of the on-ramp quite aways when a very self important and entitled woman in a BMW decided her lane was the emergency lane and proceeded to blow by me at a rate much faster than the rest of the traffic and jammed in front of me causing me to test both my truck and trailer brakes vigorously.

Karma was smiling with me that day, because before I knew it, a CHP followed suit and lit her up like a July 4th fireworks show. He was apparently upset at her little stunt and I believe he vented his ire with a nice, hand written 'Notice to Appear'!

I smiled and went on my merry way...

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #104

It gets me when you see a car on the ramp and slow down for them and they just look at you and don't step on the gas.To bad they can't read my lips.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #105

Was in right lane other day with my rv and jeep toad. Traffic was merging into my lane. I was getting ready to move forward when I looked in my mirror and saw a lady in a BMW attempting to merge between the rv and jeep. She had put the nose of her car close enough to where I couldn't move without the jeep hitting her. She sitting there looking at the my jeep fussing at the empty seat. Had to let wife get behind wheel and get out to show her the vehicles were attached. Just when I thought seen it all.....
Old 07-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #106

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ww were towing a utility trailer behind our MH some years ago when a young "lady" thought she would pull in between the two. Luckily she realized the trailer hadn't given way for her and missed the trailer, but not by much!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsptpr View Post
Was in right lane other day with my rv and jeep toad. Traffic was merging into my lane. I was getting ready to move forward when I looked in my mirror and saw a lady in a BMW attempting to merge between the rv and jeep. She had put the nose of her car close enough to where I couldn't move without the jeep hitting her. She sitting there looking at the my jeep fussing at the empty seat. Had to let wife get behind wheel and get out to show her the vehicles were attached. Just when I thought seen it all.....
I think that I would have set up camp right there.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
THIS IS WHY THE DW "GAVE" ME A BIG SET OF MARINE HORNS!

Incident: traveling on a 2-lane divided road during evening rush hour, in right most lane with cars & trucks beside & behind me; new beetle comes down on-ramp and appears to want to run me off the road. DW, setting in co-pilot seat has a few choice comments as the idiot slams on her breaks after running onto the right shoulder (& the electric truck horns squeeze out a muted squeak). DW: "Can you get some loud horns that will let idiots know that we are here? Me - yes dear I can. "Well thats your first Christmas present this year." (Ongaro Electric Deluxe Marine Dual Trumpet Horns - 12 Volt DC) I installed them last year and they have paid for themselves several times over.
I am considering getting a loud horn like this, because it's definitely obvious that some drivers need a wake-up call of sorts. These look good and from what you say, they do the job! I've browsed others and they don't come with any installation instructions...did this one have instructions? I'm driving a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 31' with a car and tow dolly behind. Since I'm new at this, I think the horns will make my life a bit less stressful. Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated!

Thanks
thumpergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #109

How Do You Handle Slow Mergers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpergirl View Post
I am considering getting a loud horn like this, because it's definitely obvious that some drivers need a wake-up call of sorts. These look good and from what you say, they do the job! I've browsed others and they don't come with any installation instructions...did this one have instructions? I'm driving a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 31' with a car and tow dolly behind. Since I'm new at this, I think the horns will make my life a bit less stressful. Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated!

Thanks

You may scare the bajeebers out of your intended horn target, and all other unintended potential collateral damage innocents around you. Folks make weird reactions to such things. You can potentially make a mishap come back on you.
But know this: you can honk your Hadleys til yer palms turn pink, but you will never change anyone's driving habits with them.
Happy trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #110
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kind of depressing reading some replies worse yet maybe some of the mindset is really true
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #111

Ford Super Duty Owner
Always a bit of problem from either side. I won't talk about how you always gotta lookout but while in Florida last winter I had a gentleman put a new strip on my 2015 motorhome complete with a matching one on the toad. One second he wasn't there, the next he was accelerating between the concrete barrier and me. I had nowhere to go.

I was really POed but then when we got off to the side of the road - I actually felt bad for the gentleman. He was disoriented, had recently lost his wife and quite honestly shouldn't have been driving. Cop came, looked at what had gone on, asked the gentleman how he had missed seeing the house. He said I thought I was going to stop for him. The gentleman was cited for failure to yield in a merge.

Later I showed my wife and brother what had happened. My brother said thank goodness no one was physically hurt. The next day the gentleman looked me up in the RV park, he apologized again and introduced me to his designated driver. He had voluntarily given up his drivers license.

Long story shortened up, gotta drive defensively and allow for idiots and folks that maybe shouldn't even be out there.

PS: $10k to repair from the gentleman's insurance company.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Kind of depressing reading some replies worse yet maybe some of the mindset is really true
I agree. This on a board where folks get their shorts in a wad for challenging them on a statement they have made. But put them behind the wheel, and apparently they own the road and have never made a mistake. Or they are entitled to whatever actions they take due to this or that. There is a growing mindset among some groups that if others are not like them, they are wrong. If they don't have the same global views, or they look different or in this case if they drive differently, then they are simply wrong. Sometimes giving a little, making just a little concession, can make all the difference in a situation.