Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #113

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do I get upset when I get a poor driver - yep. Does it change my driving style - nope. After my go around last winter, I still drive the same way - very defensively giving lots of room to avoid most things. Do I vent/commiserate on occasions with fellow RV drivers - yep.

Believe it or not - my biggest worry is "alligators" that I don't see. Recap tires should not be allowed on highways.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Most people driving cars do not have a clue, that is, if they are even paying attention. I've seen the faces of drivers who are in the merge lane look over at me in surprise! What were they looking at as they are trying to get onto the highway?

I don't bother to use the horns anymore. Had a bad incident in MD where some yahoo in a pickup came right out in front of me going 25 and when I tooted the horns, he brake checked me. I don't know how I didn't hit him.

What do I do? If I can move over, I will. If slowing some will help you to merge, I will. If you are going to be stupid and drive down the merge lane right beside me, then you will have a problem.

It is a situation just like this that has me thinking of putting in a dash cam. Too many distracted, careless or just inconsiderate people out there that only care about themselves.

jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #115

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you are in an area with lots of entrance ramps, you have 3 lanes. I stay in the middle lane until the lanes go down to 2 lanes. Saves a lot of stress, and it's safer.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #116

I'll bet you find the semi's doing the same thing.... (middle lane).
Old 08-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
If you are in an area with lots of entrance ramps, you have 3 lanes. I stay in the middle lane until the lanes go down to 2 lanes. Saves a lot of stress, and it's safer.
That is THE thing to do. That's another one I don't understand. Why hang out in the third lane when folks are trying to merge and then either have to force your way into the second lane when there are mergers, or create conflict with someone who has the audacity to want to get onto that road?
Old 08-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
It is a situation just like this that has me thinking of putting in a dash cam. Too many distracted, careless or just inconsiderate people out there that only care about themselves.
I'm wondering what a dash cam is going to do about bad drivers. Do you let them know they are being watched? They won't drive any better.

Are you going to hit them and show the courts the video? It almost, never gets that far.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I'm wondering what a dash cam is going to do about bad drivers. Do you let them know they are being watched? They won't drive any better.

Are you going to hit them and show the courts the video? It almost, never gets that far.

Doesn't fix stupid but it does record the events as they happened as in the guy that pulled in front of the MH then brake checked him when he it the horn.

Dash cams are the norm in Europe where the drivers make all of us look great.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
jtaylor1920
I'm confused.
How would "putting in a dash cam" handle slow mergers... (or any other distracted, careless or just inconsiderate people that only care about themselves)?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #121

Quote:

If an accident were to occur because some idiot decided it'd be funny to brake check 60 ft of truck and fiver and I was unable to stop then I'd have the video to show who was at fault. With that said I'd prefer to avoid the situation all together and do that by driving defensively, move over if I can, speed up or slow down if it's safe and if traffic conditions don't allow then the merger not paying attention gets the horn as a wake up call so they can adjust as necessary. Once again this all boils down to people not knowing the law, paying attention to their driving and this ever increasing me only mentality.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
jtaylor1920
I'm confused.
How would "putting in a dash cam" handle slow mergers... (or any other distracted, careless or just inconsiderate people that only care about themselves)?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari

My reply was centered around the brake check comment by another poster. The dash cam isn't going to help those people not paying attention or those that just don't care. The last thing I want is to be involved in any type of accident and if that ever were to occur because of the carelessness of someone else then I don't the things I've worked very hard for to be gone from court settlements.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #123

If I step on the brake, for what ever reason, and you hit me, you were following to close.
Once I cut you off and squeeze in, without contact, you need to drop back to a safe following distance. If I can "break check" you, and you hit me, you were following to close.

I'm playing the devils advocate here and would never brake check you, after cutting you off, I'm just pointing out what lawyers could say.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #124
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
If I step on the brake, for what ever reason, and you hit me, you were following to close.
Once I cut you off and squeeze in, without contact, you need to drop back to a safe following distance. If I can "break check" you, and you hit me, you were following to close.

I'm playing the devils advocate here and would never brake check you, after cutting you off, I'm just pointing out what lawyers could say.
What about when someone pulls out in front of you from the merge lane and you are ALREADY on the brakes. You toot your horn to make them aware, and then rather than hit on the gas, they hit the brakes. That is deliberate on their part, reckless driving, and a camera would prove that. Fortunately I didn't need the services of one that time. And I didn't need to drop back to a safe distance, after he had done his deed, the AH took off up the road.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post

That is an "always" choice! If 2 lanes or more, lane 2. Just faster if only 2. We ain't in town very long, eh?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #126

A dash-com would not have helped me 2 weeks ago. I was on a 4-lane city street, driving in inside lane because I knew the outside lane ended in 1/4 mile, when this guy came up fast in outside lane, saw the lane ending and slowed down right beside me. I thought he was slowing to merge in behind me. WRONG! He just stayed there, so I then thought he was going to turn right into a housing sub-division. WRONG AGAIN! He just followed the ending pavement into the right rear fender of my dually. ARGGG. His car would never have appeared on a dash-cam.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote