Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #1

How do you insulate the roof vents?

So, when camping in freezing weather what do you do to keep the heat from escaping through the roof vents? I know Camco makes those vent cushion things, does anyone improvise with something else?
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
I got some 2 inch ridget foam insulation and cut it to size then took it to work and shrink wraped it to keep things clean. If your wife is handy with a needle and thread you could wrap it with cloth or glue a cloth cover on it. I just went for the easy and free way to wrap mine. I had some foam laying around so the total cost was zero--a price I could handle!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I changed our vent covers to insulated (double walled) ones. Both our vents are Fantastic Vents and they make an optional double walled one that works like double walled glass panes.
I needed a new cover since the mounting boss had broken off one. Called and gave them the necessary info. They were going to send a new cover free of charge. I asked about the cost of upgrading to the insulated ones, he asked how many I needed, told him 2. He said "no problem" and "no charge"!
I also have a couple of the commercial fabric "pillows" that I can put in too. For the skylight (already double walled) I just pull the pleated cover over it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #4

Camping world sells "Vent cushions" for $11.44. Fuzzy, thick, things that press fit into the vent recesses. I have two, and use them for cold and hot weather (when running A/C)
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I use the fuzzy cushion things. You can get them at camping world or even at Walmart in the RV section. They've worked real well for us.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Worldwide Merchandise Company - Vent Cushion - Fan and Vent Accessories - Camping World

I have 2 of 'em.. One has a reflective "pad" below the pillow (Seperate from pillow) I use that pad on the Fantastic fan and the pillows on the two bathroom vents.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You do not want to close/cover all of the vents in cold weather. It is best to leave on cracked open a small amount to let the moisture out, otherwise you will be moping water up from the bottoms of the windows.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #8

I use the soft vent fillers also. Got them at CW for about $12 a piece.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just cut come grey 1 inch shipping foam to size and used velcro to hold it in. I have experienced soaking wet windows due to excessive moisture condensaton as TXiceman discussed. I'll try leaving a vent open a bit with the foam blocks in place.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #10

Guess cut out carboard to fit the vents don't work especially when its hot, what a mistake that was..it warped the fan..haha!! so funny how a person learns when they are RVing...hehe
Vegasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Denise and I don't worry about it when camping in cold weather. Thermostat at 55 F and an extra comforter on the bed and we (to quote Seajay) spoon. We warm right up real quick.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You do not want to close/cover all of the vents in cold weather. It is best to leave on cracked open a small amount to let the moisture out, otherwise you will be moping water up from the bottoms of the windows.

Ken
We have dual pane windows, except for the windshield, we very seldom have any condensation problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum
Denise and I don't worry about it when camping in cold weather. Thermostat at 55 F and an extra comforter on the bed and we (to quote Seajay) spoon. We warm right up real quick.
Yikes! 55? That wouldn't work for me. If I set the t-stat at anything lower than 66 either on the road or at home, I'll wake up with an awful sore throat, regardless of how many blankets or sets of PJ's that I have on. Call me a whimp I guess, but sitting on a 55 degree toilet seat in the middle of the night....no thanks!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Craig, that's 23 above freezing and it tends to make the sitting short. If the thermostat is set too warm I end up sleeping very poorly. Denise and I both sleep much better when its cool.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof