Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How do you keep bugs out?

We lived in our motorhome down in georgia for the last 8 months. While we were there we saw every sort of bug Under the Sun. We had ants crawling up the side of the motorhome but never saw them inside. The bugs that I had never seen before but again never saw any bugs inside. Today I was changing the air filter on the truck we had down there with us and I found this thing in the air box. I think it's what they call mud daubers. My question is how do you folks keep bugs out of your units and what should I check to make sure I don't have any colonies hidden throughout our rig? The truck I found the mud dauber nest in was driven every day while we were there and it still had the nest, I can only imagine what nested underneath or in the motorhome. Like I said before I still haven't seen any bugs inside and it's been a couple months now so maybe I'm in the clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1443073871441.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	107831  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #2

Yea that's a mud dauber. All you can do is check things. I would certainly look in the outside vents of your gas furnace and water heater. Just part of nature

Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #3

You can buy a screen to put over your gas furnace to keep bugs out
Old 09-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #4

I bring a member of the family who has ticked me off. A dash of peanut butter, a dribble of honey, and I have them stay outside. (Now don't get too concerned, I provide a chair, water, bucket, and reading material!).
!
Smitty
Old 09-27-2015, 12:25 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing I did was check furnace and water heater and they were ok. Im worried about hidden stuff underneath or inside that might rear their head in the spring. Anybody have any experience with something like home defense or like product? Like I said, I haven't seen any bugs and I don't usually have a problem here up north but after being in georgia for 8 months I'm just worried that I carried some friends home. I figured the mud daubers were from down south as the mud they used to build there home was made of georgia red clay. We don't have that stuff up here just good old black farm dirt!
Old 09-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #6

Not too much you can do about the bugs that fly in other than regular checks and maybe some screening.
But for ants (which are a much more significant problem) I always have a shaker of Sevin-Dust to put on the ground around the tires and stabilizer jacks. It's also important to keep the hoses and power cable off the ground.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sevin dust? Is that the stuff I see them use on fire ant piles down south?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
First thing I did was check furnace and water heater and they were ok. Im worried about hidden stuff underneath or inside that might rear their head in the spring. Anybody have any experience with something like home defense or like product? Like I said, I haven't seen any bugs and I don't usually have a problem here up north but after being in georgia for 8 months I'm just worried that I carried some friends home. I figured the mud daubers were from down south as the mud they used to build there home was made of georgia red clay. We don't have that stuff up here just good old black farm dirt!
Don't worry. Mother Nature will take care of any hitch hikers; that Northern Illinois winter will sort out any surviving Southern bugs. I grew up in Blue Island and Chicago, so I'm familiar with the climate.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
If you head down South again I have some recommendations. First, get screens to cover heater and water heater vents available on Amazon, CW and most rv dealers in the South.

Second, go to Home Depot and get Terro Ant Baits and set them out. Sevin Dust is great for stopping entry around tires and jacks and power cords. You can buy that at Walmart in a 3-pack of sprinkle containers. For spiders, buy a couple of dog flea collars and cut it in strips. Place around corners and entry door. Really helps.

One thing you need to do fairly regularly during the summer, when the mud daubers are out and your coach is parked for a time, is to check your roof top ac's. Remove the shroud and look in the underside. Also watch out for wasp nests. They love to make nests in my bay door handles.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #10

Angry

There are some bugs that you will carry with you and never know it. September last year we stopped in Carlisle, PA for a few nights. Weather was warm and I noticed the first afternoon that every RV was covered in stink bugs. The next day we noticed them inside. We were heading north and thought the first freeze would get rid of them. They just went to sleep. we were getting rid of those guys for almost 7 months. We went to Florida after the holidays and they started waking up.

Stink bugs! Hate 'em.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I buy the insect spray that is hooked up to a water hose and spray all around my site before I set anything up.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #12

Avon skin so soft spray...bugs won't go near anywhere you spray it, it smells nice, and it will not harm anything...
Old 09-27-2015, 11:49 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambow View Post
Don't worry. Mother Nature will take care of any hitch hikers; that Northern Illinois winter will sort out any surviving Southern bugs. I grew up in Blue Island and Chicago, so I'm familiar with the climate.
LOL. Unless he got some roaches. They can survive a nuclear holocaust.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Sevin dust? Is that the stuff I see them use on fire ant piles down south?
No, it's a white powder that comes in a shaker can. Popular with vegetable and rose gardeners against bugs. At Home Depot, etc.

It's cheap and I always carry a can in the storage bun.
Just sprinkle a ring around anything that touches the ground.
It's easy to hose away when you depart.

If you don't like the Sevin dust, some people use Comet powdered soap and ground cinnamon works great too. Ants hate ground cinnamon, but it's much more $$ than Sevin.