Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #1

How do you pack up in cold weather

We are not full timers. The last couple of years we have gone south in Sept. or Oct., the temperature has not been an issue. Because of some medical issues, we won't be leaving for about 10 days. It will be quite chilly when we are ready to go.

My question is how do you pack up in cold weather? I mean moving the items you don't have two of (clothing, food, toiletries, etc.) that you move between house and RV.

My plan is to start genny and Aqua Hot engine preheat. In about half an hour, drive from storage to residence. Leave genny and interior heat on until things warm up inside. Open one slide for access to fridge and clothing storage. Pack things from house to RV. Close things up, hook up toad and leave the next day.

Is this a reasonable plan? Have I overlooked anything?
retdep018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #2

Are you going to fill/put some water in water tank? Can you plug in for power? I put a small ceramic heater in the wet bay to help keep things warm. I bought an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer with a wireless outdoor sensor and keep that in the wetbay.

It wiil depend on when you are getting to warmer weather. Is your coach insulated? Dual pane windows? If you are only going to be one night loading, fill up with propane and turn on your furnace(s). And run your furnaces on the road. Refill as needed.

I just put out our slides and load in as needed. We can plug into 50 amp at home. And, run auxiliary electric heat as needed.

Winterizing tonight as we are stuck up here in Northern Michigan for a few more years.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #3

One thing that we do when loading the MH in bad conditions is, the DW stays in the MH while I bring items either from the SBor storage and hand them to her. That way we are not making several trips into and out of the MH. The only issue we have by doing it this way. is the our Lab is always going in-out as she knows that she is going for a ride.
As long as you have AC power, how about truning on the heater in the water bay, if you have one? Other wise it looks like you might have the 'bases' covered.
Have a safe trip and enjoy the weather.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by retdep018 View Post
We are not full timers. .....
We are not full timers either, but due to a coupe of extended occasions, we have developed a modification of what is mentioned above to fit our needs. With the exception of perishables and refrigerator items, water in the tanks and the wife's makeup, the RV is stocked for year round use, including clothing for all seasons. The evening of the 2nd day prior to leaving the S&B, I start the refrigerator on propane for the initial cool down. Early the next morning I bring it to the house and plug into a 30 amp circuit on an adapter to operate the fridge while we load perishables, refrigerator items and the prepacked plastic boxes of can goods. I add about a quarter tank of water for road use. As we live in an HOA with parking restrictions, that evening I take the RV back to the on site storage yard. Early nest morning, hook up the dolly and again bring the RV to the house for last minute items and depart in the early afternoon. Now's the part where ya' may think I'm nuts. I only travel about a half hour to the nearest RV park and set up for the night and load the car on the dolly . This allows me to do a final shakedown prior to hitting the highway.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds fairly reasonable, You may not need all that generator run time though.

I did not leave S.E. MI. till Thanksgiving last year.. Due to medical issues.

Then due to mechanical issues.. I can not now return (hope to fix next year though).
Old 11-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #6

Other than for your own comfort, you really don't need the inside to be more than 40 degrees, although I'd set things for 50.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #7

Coastal Campers
We do a couple of weeks in Florida every February.. When packing to leave we will turn on the space heater the day before.. all of the non-temperature sensitive gear being already loaded.. With the space heater running we load the freezable items.. Pull car all the way forward in the garage and move snow blower and gas cans and shovels in behind it (we have had to dig our way back in)..

Weigh anchor at zero dark thirty.. stop for night in South Carolina and activate the water system.. 'bout a quarter tank for flushing..

Heading home we drain the water system when leaving the North Carolina CG.. (open all fixtures).. if there is a "hard freeze" at home we will stop about noon, fire up the genny and use the compressor to blow out the lines and fixtures.. carry a gallon of "pink" just incase but have never had to add antifreeze on the road.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #8

We leave usually in February, with temperatures between -29 to -12C. About 24hrs before leaving we fire up the furnace and fridge. We open one bedroom slide and load our clothes. Dry goods are put in cupboards and all doors are opened to get a little heat from the furnace. The morning we leave cardboard boxes containing all other foods and any thing that might freeze are loaded in the bathroom and shower. Boxes can be disposed of when we finally unpack in warmer climates. Plumbing antifreeze is used for flushing, when it is too late to use campground washrooms. We travel with the furnace on and sleep in the coach, with all slides in to reduce the house volume that the furnace is heating. It was -24c in Great Falls last winter and I had to lay on top of the electrical cord in the snow to straighten it out so we could plug in. Yes you can sleep in the coach in cold weather, but it does encourage cuddling until the bed warms up. We flush out our lines and add fresh water on the third day when we reach Vegas.
ARollingHome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather