Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #15

Depends ... if it's within Florida I look for a Florida State Park first .... because I'm old and a resident (discount). That leaves more cash for the RV Resorts (the real ones) outside of Florida.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We look at several things.

Trailer Life/GS rating

Discounts available (Passport America, Escapees, GS)

Size of their sites

How convenient it is to find

50 Amp service w/sewer

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
1. Choose destination
2. Check RVPR's & iRV2's website for listings
3. Check out websites of CG's in chosen area
4. Ask other iRV2 members for recommendations (Camping Locations forum)
5. Check Google Earth for the layout
6. Make reservations (asking if they offer any discounts: GS, AAA, FMCA...etc)

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Well I just downloaded Google earth, I don't belong to any discount RV organizations, I guess I need to look into that as well. Thanks again for the info.
93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
Location is first then RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks and/or Passport America The original 50% Discount Camping Club - Passport America Discount Camping Club

Seems the Woodall's Campground directory has gone down in quality since it merged with GoodSam. Still keep one in the MH for second opinion backup.
I have to second what okgc said about Woodall's. Not as good as it used to be, and AAA now uses them too. The old AAA guides were terrific. Now, not so much. Google maps satellite view is also very helpful in not only scoping out the CG from overhead, but for giving yourself a mental image of where it is located. On a recent trip I found Google maps to be invaluable.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #20

Hey Terry
For the last 2 years I have been using Microsoft Streets and Trips on my laptop to both plan the route and locate campgrounds. After deciding where to stop or stay for a while, this software was great for locating most, if not all, the choices within a defined radius. Then it was on-line with RV Park Reviews and Woodall's, then finally the campground websites. Deciding where to make a reservation, or not, really gets down to a process of elimination. As fulltimers, we try to average less than $40 per night, $275 per week or $1000 per month when in touring mode.

Unfortunately, Streets and Trips is no longer being sold or updated...so my information is becoming dated.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #21

As for online reviews, you really need to take them with a grain of salt. The CG itself can put in great reviews and someone who has been told to quiet down or leave after 10pm may really dump on the CG to get back at them. I have personally seen that happen.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Well I just downloaded Google earth, I don't belong to any discount RV organizations, I guess I need to look into that as well. Thanks again for the info.
Keep in mind the images on Google Earth may not be current ... that tree you see may now be firewood ...

For discounts, AARP and Goodsam are quite affordable.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Keep in mind the images on Google Earth may not be current ... that tree you see may now be firewood ...

For discounts, AARP and Goodsam are quite affordable.
When on google earth, look at the lower right hand side of the screen, there is a box that says "tour guide", to the right of that is a clock looking thing, then a box with a date, click on the date box, that brings up a "tool bar" for switching the date of the location image......and one can see if any tree's have been made into fire wood.......and more.
It will list the date the image was taken.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Great info, I did see the tour guide there, I'll ck it out, I do belong to AARP never thought about them for discounts for camping. I used Streets and Trips yrs ago, used to have a GPS unit that I hooked up to my laptop, me and DW delivered trucks and buses and that was our early GPS unit, worked great. I usally ck out reviews on stuff I buy and just kinda average them out, I'm sure its probably the same.
93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #25

We have found that many of the reviews either on line or in the Woodall book can be either over rated (which is usually the case) or under rated occassionally because they haven't been updated. We took a trip in our car to several local places and out of about 12, there were only three we would stay in. I think some of the reviewers never even went to the location and only spoke to them on the phone as the reviews are so far off. Alot of them look great on line, in a book or even with the google earth, but when you get there they are dumps.

We don't usually make reservations when we are traveling to a specific destination. We will stop at various CG's and if we like them we stay. What we normally do is on our walks thru the CG's we take the CG map and highlight the spots that we like and will fit in with no problems (trees, location ect). We keep maps of all the CG's we have stayed in in a 3 ring binder in the MH. That way if we are going thru that area again, or on the way back ect, we can make reservations and don't have to worry about the CG or site selection. We also put in the book places we checked out that we would not go back to so we remember and don't waste our time.This works for us as I think like alot of us we tend to MH in the areas we really like, and take many of the same routes over and over to get places.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #26

As CG fees, along with fuel costs, are a big part of the budget and ours is not unlimited, we are exploring Thousand Trails destinations at the moment. 21 day maximum stay. Are currently just outside Sacramento and working our way down the state. This is simply the most cost affective way to be on the road for us, other than downright boon docking, which my DW prefers not to do. We will occasionally go into a traditional park (like Marin RV Park over Christmas), and will use RVparkreviews.com as well as PA. Also we like Allstays. And google earth is extremely beneficial.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #27

Like many have eluded to one simply can not tell much based off of reviews. Many times some one will ding a CG in a review based off of how their neighbors acted which has nothing to do with the CG itself. Then there are others who are about CG amenities and such while still others want reclusion? It mostly comes down to (IMO) That possibly is why I mostly Boondock!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
A lot of time we will find recommended CG in conversation with fellow campers. The conversations always seem to get round to where you came from and where you are going. Sometimes where you are going is where they came from and vice versa.

Tags
campground