Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
How do you pick a campground

I'm not new to RVing but am new to staying in a campground, when planning a trip and looking for a place to stay, how does anyone pick a place? Just curious what you look for? I've looked at RV CG review sites and their reviews, is that what other people do? or what.

Terry and Eleanor
94 Softail / 92 FXR
79 32' AMF Skamper 5th Wheel Toy Hauler
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 06:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Terry, I use the Internet or places like this from other's to find new places, then I use goggle earth to inspect the campground/resort ,and use it to decide what site I want to book. I prefer end sites so no one is in front of us on our awning side........Google earth works great for doing this.
A year after being at Turning Stone RV Resort in NY state, I was going back, looked on google earth, and there was my Coach and trailer..........what are the chances of this happening?
(click on hoto to enlarge)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Views:	144
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	80728  

2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
After going to the campground reviews websites I go to Google Maps and take a look at the satellite view. It is amazing how many times a great looking campsite looks nothing like what I imagine after checking the reviews. Something else to check is to see if there really is a campground where your gps coordinates would take you to. I have been stuck on back roads following the gps when the campground is really elsewhere.
Mike & Sue Jones
Venetian A40, formally Palazzo 35.1
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
We first look for CG's that we have membership to..C2C, PA, etc.
Then RV park reviews (taken with a grain of salt)
I look at the parks website and CG map.
I am mainly concerned with space.....wider roads, no big rocks on corners,
spaces that will hold our MH, easy in and easy out.

We also want good enough WIFI to plan our route.
We do not do downloads or Netflix

If we arrive later in the day, I boondock rather than pay for
just a parking spot.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #5
Location is first then RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks and/or http://www.passportamerica.com

Seems the Woodall's Campground directory has gone down in quality since it merged with GoodSam. Still keep one in the MH for second opinion backup.
2010 Allegro RED 36 QSA
GMC Envoy 4x4
SW Michigan to Alaska in 2015
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:40 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use RVPARKY plan your route how long you like to drive and it will show you Gas/fuel stops rv parks and then you can see what they offer, research on line to suit your needs.
Paul & Megan 2007 Neptune XL 36 PDQ REK Bilsteins, KarKaddy,mini cooper, W/ Bear and Sedona
Pds47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 AM   #7
I use allstays, but also use youtube. Many of the parks are on youtube. There are the official park video, and some others with drive byes of each site. The online reservations are getting better with a picture of each site at some of the coe parks.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
The navigator generally picks the campground, based on location and reviews.
Based on some of our (not so good) experiences it must be rated "big rig friendly". If we're going to be there more than a quick overnight stay, I'll get on Google maps and check out sites as already mentioned.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
We have used about all of the suggested methods - and none are infallible. That's when you have to try to average the 'reviews'. Then there is the date of any reviews - a few years ago, the only reviews may have shown that there are better CG or the reverse so often it's a 'crap shoot'. Usually what I'll do is make a reservation for one or two nights and if the CG is fine, we will, after the first night renew. We have once had to change sites and once had to leave, but spread that over 30 plus years, not a bad average. Be really careful when they say big rig suitable. With the 28 foot 5er and SB truck, it wasn't bad but now with the 38 foot 5er along with a long bed truck, some of those big rig sites --- aren't as we found out last fall.
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
50% discount Passport America when traveling using overnight stays.
Good Sam 10% discount if no Passport America in the area

For long stays PA and RV reviews, Google Earth to check campground area.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #11
Many of our campground stays are only one night while we are traveling to a destination. In such situations, we don't stray too far off of our route and the navigator mostly uses the Good Sam and KOA campground directories. We don't usually call for advance reservations unless we are near a large town, a resort area or it's a holiday.

For longer stays, we look more closely at campground ratings and Google Earth aerial views. Hint: in the full Google Earth version (download required) the toolbar has "Tools". Under this is "Ruler", and you can use this to measure the length of a site when you open an aerial view of a campground. Our motorhome and car trailer is 52 ft. so it's nice to be able to measure sites in advance.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks for the tips . Lots of good info here, now to go check the out!!
Terry and Eleanor
94 Softail / 92 FXR
79 32' AMF Skamper 5th Wheel Toy Hauler
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location & access first - convenience to the area we want to see/do is a high priority. Then facilities (we mostly do 50A FHU these days), then size/spacing of the sites. We also give a lot of weight to noise levels if we plan to stay more than a day or two. Then price is weighed against those that meet or wants & needs.

How to figure this out? Various campground guides for location and amenities, then RVParkReviews.com for opinions (with several grains of salt applied). We usually check the Good Sam and Passport America online guides and also use software such as RV Road Trip Navigator (PC) and various phone/tablet based apps. I use the PC and internet mostly, simply because of the larger screen. Google Earth is good is there is any doubt about the location and layout description.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #14
!Good tip George! I have been using various combinations of the mentioned ways to find a nice CG, but your tip on the Google Earth download is a new one that I'll have to adopt. For those folks who don't give RVParkReviews much credit, I don't use them for their total review but I do like using them always because you can pick out an item or two out of a review that will provide some insight why you probably won't use a particular park. An example for me is if the review mentions a CG being near a highway and the park having traffic noise, sorry, not the place for me. So take your time and try to read into some of the reviews a little more closely. Our newest tool that we are going to more and more is RVParky on our smart phone, great free App.

vincee is offline   Reply With Quote