Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #29
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Like every segment of society, some RV'ers are just lazy.

And some were never Boy Scouts.

Great picture, great name!

Can I change mine to SpringerMom?

Kathryn . . . still lurking and learning!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #30
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
For a HOT fire rub a Boy Scout with A Girl Scout!
Now THAT'S funny!

Kathryn . . . still lurking and learning!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #31
pew. lighter fluid. stinky. not fair.

(and that is funny, the first one and the second one)
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Tiki torch oil. Make your 'teepee' of firewoord, hose it down with the oil. Let sit a few minutes. Add a bit more oil and light. Works every time. Tiki oil is cheap and easy to find.

PS - want to eliminate charcoal lighter fluid and it's smell when lighting your charcoal? Use cooking oil instead.
Mark & Sheila Heilman & The 3 Fur-Ball Princesses - Nikko, Mai-Thai & Andy
'07 MADP 4523, 2012 GMC Terrain SLT 2 wd
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar, M&G Engineering Dinghy Braking System

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Here an option that doesn't need any fuel or extra parts: a chimney fire starter. Just put your ignition material on the botton and your long burning (cooking) material on top (enough to systain the fire). Light the material on the bottom and wait about 5 minutes than pull the chimney up, off of the buring material and it will spread out in the fire pit/grill.
Attached Images
J.J. Hayden (KN4SH)
Covington, GA
2005 National Dolphin 5342
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #34
I make my own firestarters out of old candle wax and sawdust. Put it melted in a paper cup with the sawdust, there ya go.
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by racefn
DW makes little cups of wax and wood chips and a wick, they will start any fire, we give away more than we use, get asked quite often what they are.
My son the boy scout has made those, i'll hafta put him to work, leave the "girl scout juice" at home next time!
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #36
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you can get egg cartons in the old fashioned type that is not styrofoam and more like cardboard, you can make up a dozen firestarters with wax and kindling.

We used to heat our home with wood. I would save the bags of dog food when emptied by the pooch and fill with branches throughout the year when cleaning up the yard for mowing. I would have nice and dry fire starter when cold weather hit. If there is no restrictions on bringing in wood, try that.
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH, 2015 Ram1/2 ton Hemi
lgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #37
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use kindling that I've gathered from the campsite as well as all of the paper trash that I have accumulated. I also use a cordless air mattress pump (uses 4 D batteries) to get the flames going.

2006 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 35' Ford Chassis
Benny367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #38
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use empty toilet paper tubes fill with clothes dryer lint, then i place kindling in a Te-Pee shape around the tube, and light with a butane lighter. Once it gets going I have a piece of 1/4" copper tubing about 3' long to blow air into the bottom of the fire,as it gets going, I start adding larger picies of wood. Somethimes I'll give it a squirt of charcoal lighter, before I light it,learned that when I was a Boy Scout. Fluid first then light,or you will blow the bottom of the can out onto your leg.
Rick & Robin with ( Schaffer & Bella in memory)(springers) from S/E PA
1996 Adventurer, f53
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #39
National RV Owners Club
10 gallons of diesel fuel, 5 gallons of jp4 jet fuel gets the fire going pretty good. Oh wait.........................Sorry................ ..............Was having a flashback to Desert Storm when I was in charge of guys the First Sergeant would send me to burn the solid waste from the porta jons.

Some kindling cut from the firewood, just a little bit of accelerent, usually charcoal lighter fluid. Starts out fairly small then gets a little bigger once the big pieces catch fire. Ran of charcoal lighter one time and used a little coleman fuel. No harm, no foul, PFOOOOOF!!!! Careful! White gas lights when the flame hits the fumes.
Harley Ultra Classic (Geezer Glide) Rider, Retired US Army Paratrooper, fisherman, shooter. Proud to have served, proud of those that still do, or have done so with pride.
2005 National Dolphin 34'
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #40
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
We stayed at Beverly Beach state park in Oregon last week and had an odd experience.

It was about 6pm, my usual time for walking the dog. Went for a short walk, about 15 minutes later when I came back a new camper was right across from us. I quickly noticed a huge bonfire with flames leaping close to the trees.

I walked into our MH and found DW in a panic. Seems she had the windows open enjoying the fresh air when all off a sudden an overwhelming smell of charcoal lighter fluid came inside the RV. She didn't know if it was a gas or a chemical leak coming from our RV, but soon figured out it was the guy across the way. Seems he came plowing into his site, jammed on the brakes, jumped out of his RV and immediately started his camp fire.

I suppose that's fine to want to get your campfire started quickly, but is it really necessary to douse the fire with a whole can of charcoal lighter fluid to get it started?

Is there anybody else out there that starts their CGF the old fashioned way?
Lighten up. He just used too much fluid. I use fluid, but not much. Why make such a big deal over how you start a fire. It's been a long time since I was a boy scout and I have learned a lot since then. Never rub two sticks together if you have a lighter and gas. Just don't douse it too much. A little goes a long way.

It is a smell of camping. Better than a bunch of people screaming at each other in the hallway of a Holiday Inn Express.

Happy Camping!!

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #41
iRV2 No Limits Club
I find rubbing two sticks together works well as long as one stick is a match.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #42
Ah he was clearing the bugs out
Works well

laj is offline   Reply With Quote