Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #71

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I make my own kindling I use just one match
like I was taught in the Boy Scouts.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #72

Whenever I get a load of Birch, I'll fill a bag or two with loose bark, which lights and burns furiously even when wet. Add a little kindling and feed progressively larger pieces. Never fails. We also do a variation on some of the other ideas and stuff the cardboard egg cartons with old dryer lint that my wife collects, melt down old candles and pour the wax into the egg cartons/lint. Break one or two off for each fire needed. They are waterproof, last forever and burn for 10 to 15 minutes. Newspaper and kindling works just fine as well.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #73

When all else fails a road flare works real good!
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #74

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Growing up in Mississippi we had "lightered knots" (spelling approximate & phonetic) which are the pine pitch (AKA turpentine) ruminates of pine roots and stumps and limbs. All we needed to do was to look around in the woods for some stumps and pine knots and you had your starter. If your really wanted to kick a fire off, you start with a pyramid of dry, open pine cones then lay the wood over & around it. A match to a couple of the pine cones and whoosh, you had a fire.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #75

I have seen where people save their dryer lint to use as kindling. Easy to get and save in a zip lock bag. Add a little Vasoline and your set.

Dryer Lint as a Fire Starter |
majorloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
Is Belly button lint an option ;>}
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #77

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
Ran of charcoal lighter one time and used a little coleman fuel. No harm, no foul, PFOOOOOF!!!! Careful! White gas lights when the flame hits the fumes.
Same with regular gas, it's only the fumes that burn. That's another reason diesel will put a fire out, no fumes unless heated although atomizing will cause it to burn too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #78

Thats why we let the gas soak in for about 30 seconds and we've never had a problem.

I did pull dryer lint out of the garage trash & am planning on trying the dryer lint & vasoline thing for our firepit in the backyard.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #79

Take a five gal bucket with a lid and make a hole in the center with a 16 penny nail. This is for venting. Fill bucket with wood chips that came from a wood chipper and are dry. Poor kerosene over the wood chips about a quart. Put lid on and mix. Take the lid off and add a couple hand fulls to the bottom of where your fire is going to be. Place your wood on top and light. This will start your fire. Keep lid on tight to keep from dumping while traveling.
psrujak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Same with regular gas, it's only the fumes that burn. That's another reason diesel will put a fire out, no fumes unless heated although atomizing will cause it to burn too.
Works like a charm everytime, although I never start a fire if I am near another camper because of the smoke and fumes issue.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #81

Thor Owners Club
I use a propane torch...works well..
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #82

I cannot believe how many here have to have a construction education to build a simple fire, handle explosives, pick up special devices or whatever. What ever happened to a small amount of newspaper , kindling and then put on the bigger fuel (wood) ?
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by psrujak View Post
Take a five gal bucket with a lid and make a hole in the center with a 16 penny nail. This is for venting. Fill bucket with wood chips that came from a wood chipper and are dry. Poor kerosene over the wood chips about a quart. Put lid on and mix. Take the lid off and add a couple hand fulls to the bottom of where your fire is going to be. Place your wood on top and light. This will start your fire. Keep lid on tight to keep from dumping while traveling.
Man, a QUART of kerosene is serious overkill to start a campfire. Obviously many of the posters using an accelerant to start a campfire were never scouts. Or am I misunderstanding and the quart is to soak a whole bucket of woodchips and the unused kerosene soaked, chips travel with you in the RV. Either way this is a problem waiting to happen. My 2 cents as usual.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #84

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
I cannot believe how many here have to have a construction education to build a simple fire, handle explosives, pick up special devices or whatever. What ever happened to a small amount of newspaper , kindling and then put on the bigger fuel (wood) ?
Thank You!

This was my original point when I started this thread. That is the way I learned to start a fire many years ago. Crumple up some newspaper, use your axe to make kindling, then split down some of the larger logs of your firewood so they will keep burning.

Reading this thread has given me a real education on how many different ways people start fires. Some good, some not so good. Guess everyone has their own way of doing things, what's the old saying?
"to each his own"

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote