Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #29

I also coil it leaving one end lower and holding the coils up high, forcing most of the water out. Then hang it in shower if not leaving that day. But while underway, it goes in a big tuplerware with snap lid, only from now on, after reading this, the ends will be connected.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #30
KC

I drain mine out, put them in a large Rubber maid type container. I have drilled some holes in that container and added dehumidifier to that compartment.

KC
Old 03-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
I drain mine out good, coil it up by hand, connect the two ends together, store in bay next to wet bay.
Same here, and I don't think anyone's ever gotten sick because of the small amount of stagnant water left in the hose. We never directly drink the water, but do use it for cooking and the coffee pot.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
We've got roughly 30' of freshwater hose on an electric reel and two 25' lengths of "loose" hose. When rolling retracting the hose onto the wheel - I do my best to drain it as it's rolling (retracting it as slowly as practical, making sure that the unretracted portion of the hose stay below the reel) - and then cap the open end once it's been retracted fully. The "loose" hose gets drained and rolled - then the ends connected together - and tossed into an appropriate sized tote in the basement storage. I do my best to keep the ends out of puddles, dirt, debris when I'm putted any of the hose away ... but am not overly fastidious about any of this.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In order to save space I store it inside the sewage hose😳.

Just joking, count us as a roll it up and connect the ends.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am in the minority here as far as screwing the hose ends together. I never do that, as I would rather flush out a couple of bugs and some dust than have the possibility of having mold growing in the closed up hose.

But I was raised on a farm and a few bugs and a little dirt an every day thing.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #35

So, rather than start another thread, how big of a hose is really needed?

My tupperware has a 25' and a 50' hose in there, and it is difficult to get them both in there. Barely closes, and bulges the sides of the container.

We are hitting the road soon, and so far, we have never needed the longer hose, except to add it to the shorter one, to run it to the barn 75' away, to fill our fresh tank, and that is only while parked in our hay shed at home.

Is the shorter hose good enough for most, if not all, RV parks?
Old 03-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #36

Quote:
I drain mine out good, coil it up by hand, connect the two ends together, store in bay next to wet bay.
Me too! I always screw the ends together, don't want anything to get inside but water.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I have male and female caps for mine.
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
So, rather than start another thread, how big of a hose is really needed?

My tupperware has a 25' and a 50' hose in there, and it is difficult to get them both in there. Barely closes, and bulges the sides of the container.

We are hitting the road soon, and so far, we have never needed the longer hose, except to add it to the shorter one, to run it to the barn 75' away, to fill our fresh tank, and that is only while parked in our hay shed at home.

Is the shorter hose good enough for most, if not all, RV parks?
50' is probably enough most of the time, however, if you are staying an extended period in a place where there are spigots scattered around the campground you may need more, my longest resupply line was around 300' feet once, borrowed 200' from friends.
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #39

Two 25' would work. Then you'd only have to deal with a 25' most of the time. We rarely used full hookup sites. We fill our tank at the centralized water fill and run off that so don't have a hose issue.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #40

I lift the end high, then coil it with the end always higher than the coils. That effectively gravity drains it. Then I stuff it in the compartment in front of the valves - just fits. Quick connectors are a must.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:26 PM   #41

Quote:
This is what I do too. To drain, I use my lungs to blow most of the water out. The next time I use it after storage I pour bleach in the hose and run water through it for a few seconds before hooking up.
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:59 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Two 25' would work. Then you'd only have to deal with a 25' most of the time. We rarely used full hookup sites. We fill our tank at the centralized water fill and run off that so don't have a hose issue.
Thanks! Cuz I would hate to haul all 75' along with me if I will never use it.

Tags
travel, water