Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Get a TPMS and then let it check the tires. On the Dutch Star I used (or tried to use) a Pressure Pro unit. Then switched to a TST 507. The Magna came with the SmarTire system built in. Have had the rig since Feb 19th and haven't even gotten my gauges out to check them. Headed for the FMCA NW Regional in a few weeks so will check before we leave. Leaving the grandson in charge of the house, hope it's still standing when we get back!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #16

Your ST trailer tires should always be inflated to sidewall maximum.
I do as Mr.D, I simply read the display every morning for actual tire pressures. If one requires more air (which hasn't happened when traveling) I'll not hesitate to top it off during daylight hours. Most CG rules define quiet hours as 11pm to 7am. You'll be surprised at how quiet an old blanket(my ground cloth) thrown over it makes an air compressor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I have also wondered for a long time on here Don.........I have said before, one of my favorite thing to do is get into a truck stop before sun-up, get a good parking spot, then have coffee and watch all those driver's wake up and come out with tire gauges checking their tire's........good time
Well then, checking tire pressure accomplishes two things. Calms my OCD and provides amusement to others
Old 06-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"jondrew"......How many times has your air pressure been low and the oil in your engine and generator low?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:28 PM   #19

Why do I check the oil quantity in my airplane before every flight?
For that matter why do I do a complete preflight inspection before every flight even when I do 4 or 5 flights in a day in the same airplane?
I don't want problems.
I do a "preflight" on my turck and TT as the last item before I sit down in my seat to drive away at EVERY stop. I always do a walk around just to make sure of things.
Anal retentive personality I guess.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:37 AM   #20

Quote:
I read these questions often and I just have to ask.....I constantly read about people checking their tires before each travel day and putting air into them at a campsite, such as the OP is discussing. I've been RVing for over 35 years and have never done this. I check the air on my coach twice a year and it typically takes.....maybe 2 pounds.
Same here. Got better things to do that carry out unnecessary checks all the time.

Would be interesting to test the efficacy of bashing tyres with clubs. I have seen reports that even expert tyre bashers can't pick a 20% reduction in pressure.

What I do do on a regular basis is when we stop for a break, I go around and feel all the tyres. Making allowance for those tyres with the sun on them, any significant variation in temperature needs further checking. If it is cool, it is OK.
Do the same with the rims close to the hubs as that will show up dragging brakes or failing bearings.

As for the OP's question, a good rule is the biblical bit about doing unto others as ..... but of course there are some people so profoundly stupid and inconsiderate that such simple advice is meaningless.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Why do I check the oil quantity in my airplane before every flight?
For that matter why do I do a complete preflight inspection before every flight even when I do 4 or 5 flights in a day in the same airplane?
I don't want problems.
I do a "preflight" on my truck and TT as the last item before I sit down in my seat to drive away at EVERY stop. I always do a walk around just to make sure of things.
Anal retentive personality I guess.
Cliff,
I agree but also disagree to a point. If we ever take off and not preflight our aircraft, we are trying to commit suicide.

I'll do a pretrip inspection at the first op when starting a trip, and a walk around at every stop.

Some go one farther and I have no problem with that either for them. I won't say that it's unnecessary, because I'm sure that practice has saved plenty from unexpected breakdowns on the road.

JMO
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
All it takes is the valve stem core to unscrew about half a turn, and you have a slow leak. Happened to me on a inside drive tire on my previous coach. Checked the pressures before a trip, and that inside tire was at 10psi ! Checked all over the tire for a nail or screw, found nothing. Decided to try airing it up, soon as I pulled the air chuck off the stem, I could hear a slight leak. Half a turn on the stem core, no more leak !
Yep, I check my pressures.... often!!
Same here. We put in a 12 hour drive day and all was good. Woke the next morning and while waiting for my wife to get ready I was having my coffee outside and did a walk around the rv. Noticed one tire looked low checked it had 105lb checked inside 15lb. Aired it up could hear air pissing out. Broken valve stem. Lucky I passed a tire dealer a mile from campground. Drove over and a hour later and under 50.00 all done. This was the Michelin tire dealer in Pigeion Forge this fella working on mine has been working there for over 40 years. We BS the whole time I was there super nice. I threw him a 20 when I was leaving and you would have thought he hit the megga lottery.

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"jondrew"......How many times has your air pressure been low and the oil in your engine and generator low?
On my RV which I've had for 6 months, never. On my tow dolly (90 PSI trailer tires) both tires seem to drop to 80 PSI after each use. So far oil level has not budged.

On my cars, I've found low TP caused by leaks. And I've seen low oil levels in my cars between oil changes.

Looking under the hood and doing a tire walk around also is also an opportunity to see what other things have changed on my big machine. New dings from road damage and whatever. I had a windshield wiper blade fly off my drivers side on my first long trip. So now I give them a look too.

If you guys are comfortable not doing this stuff every time you drive I say that's fine. Your question was why do guys like me do it, and I've tried to answer that. If my car looses a tire (which has happened) it's usually a pretty uneventful inconvenience where I pull over and change it (I have an inflated, mounted spare). Loosing a tire driving a 35 ft, 20k + pound motorhome while towing a full sized SUV seems like it could be more exciting.

It takes me 5-10 minutes to do a tire pressure check and walk around. I guess I could just spend that time sitting on my butt drinking coffee.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #24

Why worry about 2 lbs pressure? As soon as you get down the road a bit they will heat up and gain your 2 lbs. Get a tire thumper. A hammer works very well. Strike the tire on the tread. Hold your head to the side so it don't come back and hit you in the fore head. If they all make the same sound you are good. You will be able to tell the difference if one is low.

If you are still paranoid about exact air pressure get this http://www.raneystruckparts.com/crossfire-dual-tire-pressure-equalization-monitoring-system/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={Keyword} &utm_campaign=Bing+Product+Ads

Ran these on all our trucks for years. Got rid of them because in a ag/ off road situation they collect mud. Just use a hammer now.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:18 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Jeesh, I only asked about an acceptable time.

Me being new to towing, I would rather be safe.
MSD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD81 View Post
Jeesh, I only asked about an acceptable time.

Me being new to towing, I would rather be safe.
Threads on here can take many different directions in a matter of just a few post. But its always informative and mostly entertaining.

I commend you for being polite and waiting until 8.
These days there is just less of that than there used to be.

As far a full timers in a park, it would seem on weekdays a lot of them are working and leave early.
Weekends they are sleeping in.

As far as the second part of this thread I seem to loose 5 pds of pressure before I get a good reading. Then I have to add 5 pds, that I loose checking it again.
So I have the shop check it routinely. Thats what works for us.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Drive to an open spot, where you can make noise and add the 2 lbs to what ever pressure you read, at the new spot.
This is what I would do too
bobf46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #28

Perhaps the last word on tyre thumping

Truckers flunk TRIB tire thumping contest - News - Modern Tire Dealer

Quote:
Truckers flunk TRIB tire thumping contest

The Tire Retread Information Bureau's tire thumping contest at the recent Mid-America Trucking Show produced zero winners.
Contestants tried to determine the pre-set inflation pressure of a truck tire by giving the tire a good "thump."
"Those coming within plus or minus five psi of the pre-set inflation pressure would receive a nice prize," says Tire Retread Information Bureau (TRIB) Managing Director Harvey Brodsky.
"Not surprisingly, no one came within five psi of the air pressure in any of the tires.
"Inflation pressure cannot be accurately estimated by kicking or thumping the tire.
"Trying to determine if tires need air by thumping them is as effective as trying to determine of a vehicle's engine needs oil by thumping on the hood."
More than 25 truckers took part in the contest.
and from http://www.automotive-fleet.com/news...inflation.aspx

Quote:
Tire Thumping Contest Proves Tire Gauge Only Way to Determine Tire Inflation

April 24, 2007
Print

WAYNE, N.J. – At Hankook Tire’s annual meeting for their dealers in Akron, Ohio, a Tire Thumping Contest was held in the Hankook Tire Technical Center. Five new Hankook truck tires were lined up, each one with a different amount of air pressure. Only one of the tires had the correct amount of air. The results proved that thumping a tire to determine how much air it holds is not such a good idea. Only one out of more than 50 participants was able to guess the tire with the correct amount of air. Most participants got none correct. Harvey Brodsky, managing director of the Tire Retread Information Bureau (TRIB), was a featured speaker at the Hankook meeting. “Trying to determine how much air is in a tire by thumping is the same as trying to determine if a truck’s engine needs oil by thumping the hood,” he said. “The only way to properly check the air pressure in a tire is with a properly calibrated tire gauge.”

Tags
compressor