Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
How early is too early for air compressor?

We just finished our first ever trip, and the park we went to was about 100% full timers so there was not much interaction.

We were leaving on Sunday morning and I needed to put air in some tires, how early is too early on a Sunday to start up the air compressor?

Would rather have started at 7, but since I didn't see anyone moving, I waited until 8.

Thoughts? Are parks that are only full timers different than other parks?

MSD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
They should have given you a sheet with campground rules. That should have had the campground quiet hours listed.

ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #3

The night before will work as well.
Like to test them before it gets too hot.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
The night before will work as well.
Like to test them before it gets too hot.
Yeah, that was my problem. The sun was on them and it was hot in the evening. When I checked a couple they were where I needed.

In the morning, they were down 2-4 lbs. on TT and TV.

I am sure park hours quiet time was 11-6, but again with all full timers I wasn't sure.
MSD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems to me you were considerate and 8am sounds good to me.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
While not full-timers, we spend 5-6 mo. on the road each summer. I would think 7:30-8:00 would be fine. I get grumpy when a loud unit starts-up at 6am.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #7

Drive to an open spot, where you can make noise and add the 2 lbs to what ever pressure you read, at the new spot.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
8 am seems very reasonable to me. It usually chaps me when someone does it at 5 am. I am up but my lovely Angel is not. Same thing with engine cranking. If you are cranking and going, not a problem at 5 am, when sit and idle for an half hour with the older diesels, its real annoying.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check the rules for GENERATOR opration.. Same applies to an air compressor.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I read these questions often and I just have to ask.....I constantly read about people checking their tires before each travel day and putting air into them at a campsite, such as the OP is discussing. I've been RVing for over 35 years and have never done this. I check the air on my coach twice a year and it typically takes.....maybe 2 pounds.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can look at my tires and know EXACTLY what condition their in. I just wonder if the people who are checking their tires so often are their own worse enemy by letting out a pound or two every time they attach the gauge. Tires just don't lose air like some are checking for. Do those that check their tires so often check them that often on their daily drivers?

I'm not trying to cause an argument, but I'm legitimately interested in why some feel it necessary to check as often as they do.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm not trying to cause an argument, but I'm legitimately interested in why some feel it necessary to check as often as they do.
Don,

i find checking my MH tire pressure before every travel day the cheapest form of peace of mind insurance you can find. I would challenge you to tell me you'd be able just by looking at a tire that to know it had gone from 100 PSI to 80 PSI In the event you had a leak due to a nail or something. And what about your rear dual tires? Even harder on the insides (on my old MH I used to carry a bluefish club and use it to bang on the inner tires and listen to the pitch of the thud to see if it was low).

I check my oil and fluids in the MH and generator too every day before driving. I figure that because of the size, weight and cost of the coach it's just cheap insurance and a good habit.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
All it takes is the valve stem core to unscrew about half a turn, and you have a slow leak. Happened to me on a inside drive tire on my previous coach. Checked the pressures before a trip, and that inside tire was at 10psi ! Checked all over the tire for a nail or screw, found nothing. Decided to try airing it up, soon as I pulled the air chuck off the stem, I could hear a slight leak. Half a turn on the stem core, no more leak !
Yep, I check my pressures.... often!!
Old 06-10-2015, 06:45 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I read these questions often and I just have to ask.....I constantly read about people checking their tires before each travel day and putting air into them at a campsite, such as the OP is discussing. I've been RVing for over 35 years and have never done this. I check the air on my coach twice a year and it typically takes.....maybe 2 pounds.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can look at my tires and know EXACTLY what condition their in. I just wonder if the people who are checking their tires so often are their own worse enemy by letting out a pound or two every time they attach the gauge. Tires just don't lose air like some are checking for. Do those that check their tires so often check them that often on their daily drivers?

I have also wondered for a long time on here Don.........I have said before, one of my favorite thing to do is get into a truck stop before sun-up, get a good parking spot, then have coffee and watch all those driver's wake up and come out with tire gauges checking their tire's........good time
My Coach just sat all winter here in Pa. in my garage, checked the tires this spring, no air added.........
I will check them before a "Long" trip, but other than that, visual check like you said. If it makes one feel/sleep good , by all means do it!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #14

Every time you check and or put air in your tire, you risk developing a leak in the valve core.

If you are putting air your tires every trip, you have a repairable leak.

Tags
compressor