Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #1

How far away from the trailer should the sensor on an electric water hose be?

It works when it gets really cold. But at or just below freezing, it does not seem to be warming up.

I have a Montana with the water connection inside the storage bay, and the sensor for the hose hangs out the bottom hole by only a couple of inches.

I will buy an extension hose, maybe 6-12" long, to make that sensor dangle further down below the trailer.

Any idea how far from the trailer it would need to be to no longer be kept warm from the trailer body?
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #2

Well, currently, only the bottom 3/4 of the thing sticks below the level of the floor, so I bought a 5" spring loaded hose protector and it should drop the entire thing to where the top is 4" below the floor, and the entire thing exposed to the elements. Hopefully, this will make it cool down more quickly and turn the heating element on.

This is not my picture, but stock photo of the hose attachment. Mine actually hangs out of a hole in the floor of the storage cubby.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #3

Thanks for all your help!!!

This worked, by the way. It dropped the temp sensor to a point just below the frame of the trailer, so it is turning on well before the hose gets to freezing temperature.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Per the instructions that came with the hose heat tape I taped the sensor to the hose near the spigot. I guess they thought the temperature of the water in the hose was more important than the air temperature.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would have thought hanging down below the bottom of the compartment at all would be enough. Interesting.

I know boiling points are lower when water is under pressure, but I have no idea what being under pressure does for the freeze point. Just a random thought but does the water in the hose freeze at a higher temperature if it is under pressure or with pressure off? Googled it, Pressure lowers the freeze point as well but by only a very small amount. For our purposes it does not really make any difference whether the water is on or not.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #6

In my mind, if the water hose gets warm (like it should) the sensor will turn the heat off and let the water hose get cold again if the sensor is touching the hose. So I let the sensor dangle so it is affected by the temperature of the air, not the temperature of the hose and/or water.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drive a class Ak, and when I use the heated hose the sensor is JUST below the bay.

Question is the hose FREEZING? If not it's workign.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I now use one of those blue heated hoses from CW and seems as though it is on all the time. I have frozen up many times because I did not plan, forgot, or not experienced enough. Many here have the same problem.

I have had to insulate my wet bay, plug the gap around the sewer drain, make sure my basement thernostat is on the hi setting,put a stirofoam box around the ground level spigot here that is heated below ground. The spigot only will freeze up. I take the filter plastic cap off my water pump, has frozen and bokre in past. I have added a heat strip to my gas fridge because the skinny line will freeze up and stop the fridge from cooling. Have also blocked off the cooling vent to it by 2/3 'ds.

AND i definatly trickle my water when the temp drops below. Pencil lead thin trickle. My sewer drains are left open and when I do # 2 I double flush . I have not had the sewer freeze. However. I have had the gray water plug up due to garbage collecting and am now always checking monitor because it is messy to unplug.

PS o gegrees here last nite. Hanscom AFB FamCamp MA
capecodbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, trailer, water